Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Downpayment, don't dissapear with that downpayment
draco aardvark
post Nov 30 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,284

I'm going to be giving my group a big run, but because of all the costs associated with it Mr. J is going to have to give them a large up-front payment. How then do I stop them from disappearing with the down payment?

The best I can come up with is a limo ride you'll later regret:

The limo is sterilized before hand, and is bugged for audio, video, and with fiber-optics. They've got your voice, picture and the mage in the front seat can see your aura and cast spells on you if needed.
After you get out, they meticulously go over the entire car looking for hair and skin that you've left behind to use as material link. The wine glasses are saved for passable saliva sample.
I'm wondering if I should have the mage cast healthy glow to make sure you're shedding, or if people would recognize the spell being cast on them. (would it matter if the mage did it after the deal was finished, just before you get out of the car?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 30 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Yes, taking ritual samples of the runners sounds like a good plan. Otherwise (or maybe also), Mr. J's organization would have been building an extensive dossier on the runners beforehand: places where they live and hang out, contacts, etc.

A Mr J wouldn't usually go to all this trouble for a normal run, but for a big one yes, this can be expected. You can roll various perception tests for the runners to notice they are being shadowed and profiled. Mr J will be discreet about it, but if a runner confronts him, he isn't going to be apologetic. "What did you expect?" is gonna be his line. Professionals should understand. Professionals should also consider changing SINs and place where they live and hang out, at least for a while after the mission.

Any use of magic by either party during any meeting is a huge no-no, so I doubt they'd do that.

Basically, a Mr J paying 100 000 nuyen up front is certainly going to make sure the runners don't disapear with the cash.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 30 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Sudden, unexpected cranial bombs work wonders for improving loyalty.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Nov 30 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Sudden, unexpected cranial bombs work wonders for improving loyalty.

You could always have the J offer to help them hook up with a street doc for any implants they're getting in to do the run with. Then have one of J's bodyguards get bombed sometime in a meeting, just before some crucial info is given out, the J could be like "Don't worry, he wasn't with us." And thats about the time the runners realize they let his doc put cyberware in them.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 30 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

And any runner worth shelling out for the mucha credits would be able to confound any methods you care to track him down with. After all, you did hire him for his ability to be discrete, yes? If so, professional Johnsons would understand that such methods are futile. Afterall, when the Johnson complain about them to other fixers/johnsons, they'll say,"What did you expect?"

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 30 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Another tactic is the credstick. Screamers and tell-tales will give the Johnson a trail to follow, you could even have the program jump stick to stick so even if they transfer the credit, they get followed. Also, the 'vanashing money' concept is very good in these scenarios.

But remember, the only time a Johnson would use the huge up-front payment is they are hiring a suicide team or some other double-cross. Maybe the runners ticked off the wrong corp and their are being hired to walk into an ambush.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 30 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (toturi)
After all, you did hire him for his ability to be discrete, yes?

I do so hate it when my Shadowrunners blend into one another :grinbig:

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 30 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #8

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (toturi @ Nov 30 2004, 11:35 AM)
After all, you did hire him for his ability to be discrete, yes?

I do so hate it when my Shadowrunners blend into one another :grinbig:

~J

Would you rather your runners be quantised?

+Quote Post
draco aardvark
post Nov 30 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Another tactic is the credstick.  Screamers and tell-tales will give the Johnson a trail to follow, you could even have the program jump stick to stick so even if they transfer the credit, they get followed.  Also, the 'vanashing money' concept is very good in these scenarios.

Interesting, where can I find out more about these?

QUOTE (Nikoli)
But remember, the only time a Johnson would use the huge up-front payment is they are hiring a suicide team or some other double-cross.  Maybe the runners ticked off the wrong corp and their are being hired to walk into an ambush.

It's not a full up front payment, I'd be really suspicious about that. This is about 12% up front to pay for costs that the team doesn't have the money to pay out-of-pocket.
Later in the run they may choose to try to keep the objective rather than turn it over (I don't think it's worth it, but who knows how they think), and the material link would be a good bargaining chip there too.

+Quote Post
Ed Simons
post Nov 30 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,348

If Mr. J has that much time, manpower, and magical backup to do all this, why does he need the runners?

Any job that required that much nuyen up front would only be given to a Fixer that Mr. J has worked with before and trusts to get the job done. Any sane Fixer would only give that much upfront to a runner team he knows, has an established track record, and that he trusts to behave professionally.

If the Fixer wouldn't trust the runners to do the job instead of skipping, he'd never give them the job in the first place. If they do skip with the money anyway, they've just earned the Bad Reputation and Hunted disads. They'll have a hard time working again in that town, and no one will ever give them money upfront again.

Moving and/or changing IDs would burn most of that 100,000 nuyen anyway.

-------------------
Now from the Runner's POV.

If Mr. J is offering huge wads of nuyen up front, yet clearly doesn't trust me to do the job, the only reasonable assumption is that Mr. J is trying to set me up and hoping all the shiny nuyen will distract me. Maybe it's a burn job, maybe it's a Lone Star sting, but taking the job sounds like a very bad idea.

I also wouldn't take a meet in a place of Mr. J's choosing; I'd want neutral ground.

The best Mr. J could hope for by this stunt is that the Runners just refuse the job. If they catch him trying for ritual samples, etc, they could just leave him and his limo as smoking wreckage.

+Quote Post
draco aardvark
post Nov 30 2004, 05:10 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Ed Simons)

If Mr. J has that much time, manpower, and magical backup to do all this, why does he need the runners?

A lot of my runs are given by people who have the resources to do it themselves, but don't want to be associated with it. This is exactly what is going on in this particular case, they need a 3rd party to do it for them.

QUOTE (Ed Simons)

I also wouldn't take a meet in a place of Mr. J's choosing; I'd want neutral ground.

They'll probably learn after this one :-)

+Quote Post
Ezra
post Nov 30 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,873

How about this then?

Mr J wants the job done, but doesn't want to be involved. He does his homework, snooping around after the players before the meet. He finds their contacts, their flops, their everything.

He does the meet, whereever the players want the meet to be. He takes no samples or anything funny from them. However, while at the meet, he has operatives dust down their houses, collecting all the material he needs.

He knows that the players are not going to be there, so his operatives can work comfortably.
Then when the deal is done, and the players return to their houses, they find a nice little file of data that Mr.J has compiled. It includes their details, enough for them to know that crossing Mr J is not an option.

I mean, if Mr J is going to be giving out a wad of cash, he is going to expect two things...
the job to be done, and also, that the players are going to be tempted to walk away.
Getting dirt on the players should be a given.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 30 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #13

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (toturi)
And any runner worth shelling out for the mucha credits would be able to confound any methods you care to track him down with. After all, you did hire him for his ability to be discrete, yes? If so, professional Johnsons would understand that such methods are futile. Afterall, when the Johnson complain about them to other fixers/johnsons, they'll say,"What did you expect?"

Woah, how many of your players' characters would a determined Johnson not be able to track? Bugs in their gear, bug their car when they're not looking, Astral surveillance, get information from fixers who known the runners (even though they're not supposed to, there are ways to get a trusted fixer to betray runners), etc.

Yes, a PERFECT runner would avoid all of these, but I've never met runners who wouldn't make at least 1 mistake in their anti-tracking methods. And if the Mr J really can't track them, then yes, I think he'd let it go and figure he's found top talent.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 30 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #14

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

All Mr. Johnson needs is a copy of their brag sheet (you do use these, don't you), and a photo taken at the meet. He knows that if they burn him, he can just pay another Shadowrun team to track them down. The replacement killers will have to talk to their contacts, and roll Etiquette (Street) TN 4 a few times using the following table (successes are cumulative):
CODE
0 successes: "Those runners?  They are standing behind you."
1 success: "Aren't they the ones that ran off with Mr. J's money?"
2 successes: "Perhaps check with Jane, she does the custom fitting on all suits of Form Fitting Armor."
3 successes: "They often eat at location xxxx."
4 successes: "They get their vehicles worked on at location yyyy."
5 successes: "They sleep at locations A, B, and C."
6+: "They just moved to location zzzz, here's their new phone number."

If the runners spend 1000+ or more each to hide their tracks, raise the TN to 5.
After all, why should the PCs be the only ones to use success tables? ;)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 30 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

what kind of expenses are you expecting when 100k is 12% of the toal payment?

That's way out of scope from any game I've played or ran, even with suicide missions.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 30 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Just something to bare in mind.

Someone i know who's a self employed Electrian. Told me once a few years ago that he's done enough work that he's getting calls from some really big companys wanting him to wire-up their buildings/Wharehouse's and stuff, but because he didn't have the money to afford all the things he would need for it (wiring) he had to decline the jobs till he got enough money put aside so he could take those jobs.

+Quote Post
draco aardvark
post Nov 30 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #17

Target

Exactly Shockwave, this is going to be a long run (as in months of real time and game time).
I wanted to do something really epic and different from the disjoined random runs (connected as they may be in the overall plot). I'll probably have another thread here explaining it when I get more details solidified.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 30 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

That's different. It's a retaiener type situation for the runners to effectively "go bush" for a few months or similair. Sure I can see it, it's so far out of the range that the J is looking for talent but providing the toys.

In that sort of situation, i could definitely see a J stipulating that the runners wear trackers of some sort, linked to their bio-readings so they cann't just pull a switcharoo in a faraday cage with some bum off the street. Of course the trackers have an exposive charge or a heavy tranq injector...

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 30 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Oh, in that case:
"Here is (cash value). Use it to prepare whatever you deem neccessary for (time estimate) so that you will not return to have everything you own lost to a missed payment or something. Also, you may use it for any additional resources you see as neccessary for this work. The cred is handled in the rarely used 'credit' format, if you do not show up at (departure time window) to begin the job, any transactions from this account will be cancelled, and while I will not personally hold any grudge, I cannot speak for everyone you payed with this money."

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 30 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If the team doesn't have a decker, let a Johnson supply one. A very loyal and very skilled decker who works remotly from a facility controled by the Johnson and who will track their every movement.

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Dec 1 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

We've never had that problem in my groups. The problem of people just running off with a down payment, that is.

We would be VERY hard pressed to do any work without some of it up front, usually half, sometimes more. If we ran off with it, I doubt it would be any problem for a Johnson to see to it we never found work as Shadowrunners again, which is why we don't do it.

Another reason is that this gives the Johnson a slight incentive not to screw us over - We have some of the money already, we are totally capable of running off with it if we think he's screwing with us.

The final reason is that the Johnson's half of the money can be viewed as a down payment on an assassin.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 1 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #22

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Oh, in that case:
"Here is (cash value). Use it to prepare whatever you deem neccessary for (time estimate) so that you will not return to have everything you own lost to a missed payment or something. Also, you may use it for any additional resources you see as neccessary for this work. The cred is handled in the rarely used 'credit' format, if you do not show up at (departure time window) to begin the job, any transactions from this account will be cancelled, and while I will not personally hold any grudge, I cannot speak for everyone you payed with this money."

"If you aren't paying in certified cred, chummer, you got to be prepared to pay more."

"You mean you can track the cred, yes? tsk tsk What big eyes, you have Grandma."

"Then the job will be done in the rare credit format. Unless we're paid in full now, any transactions will be cancelled. We won't be holding any grudges and we know whoever you hired us to do whatever you hired us for won't mind."

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 1 2004, 01:53 AM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Just something to bare in mind.

Someone i know who's a self employed Electrian. Told me once a few years ago that he's done enough work that he's getting calls from some really big companys wanting him to wire-up their buildings/Wharehouse's and stuff, but because he didn't have the money to afford all the things he would need for it (wiring) he had to decline the jobs till he got enough money put aside so he could take those jobs.

Did he not qualify for the range of long and short term business loans available for some reason?

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Dec 1 2004, 02:15 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Being Self Employed you tend not to.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 1 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Having been self-employed on various occasions and being the recipient of a number of small business loans (in more than one country), I beg to differ.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.