Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mind Probe Vs. Spell Formulas
Gilthanis
post Dec 1 2004, 08:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,676

Is it possible for a mage to Mind Rape I mean Probe another mage and get a spell formula? I know that formulas are complex works, but for a shaman it could be a painting or numerous other works. The Mind Probe could feasibly give you the knowledge and understanding from the work if enough successes were generated while probing. (just look deep enough for the unconscious mages interpretations). I know this could be pushing the limits, but is it possible and if so, how would you go about it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 1 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Nah, at best they'd make for a good (and free) tutor when learning the spell. That's about it. If it were as simple as reaching into a magician's mind, then that would definitely be covered as one of the possibilities.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 1 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

I wouldn't allow something like that. Maybe some single piece of information or something they could explain in a conversation. I am thinking spell formulae (any tradition) are complex enough that you learn them (much like training for a skill) and is more than just simple memorization.

Allowing something like this would set a presendence for "spell sharing" that I think would be more troublesome that it's worth.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 1 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I'd say yes but the prober still has to spend the karma and the time and gets penalities for sustaining a spell. If the probe is ended before the spell is fully learned, then he has to start over again.

I see nothing wrong with spell sharing. It is already possible. One mage a teach a spell formula to another or simple write it down and give it away. It would be fairly easy for a mage with to make dozens of electronic copies of his spell formula and give them to all of his friends. The time and karma cost for learning a new spell balance this.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 1 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Interesting. I've never considered what gets done with "used" spell formulae. I suppose you could try and re-sell it, although anything over Force 3 is illegal, what's ever stopped Shadowrunners from that little obstacle.

I still don't like the idea of folks getting something for free though.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 1 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
Is it possible for a mage to Mind Rape I mean Probe another mage and get a spell formula?

Can you use telepathy on a programmer and memorize the last 10,000 lines of code he scripted?

First, I really doubt you could memorize something as complicated as a spell formula from a quick brain scan.

Second, I doubt the mage has every finite detail of the spell formula memorized.

Third, the mage probably fills in the blanks by using his Sorcery skill when called upon to roll out that formula. You can't Mind Probe for details the mage doesn't have memorized.

I know that formulas are complex works, but for a shaman it could be a painting or numerous other works.

A complicated painting. Can you remember every detail of the Mona Lisa (far from a complicated painting) without looking at the picture?

The Mind Probe could feasibly give you the knowledge and understanding from the work if enough successes were generated while probing. (just look deep enough for the unconscious mages interpretations). I know this could be pushing the limits, but is it possible and if so, how would you go about it?

Read the mage's brain, spend the normal spell learning period trying to figure out what you saw, spend the normal karma learning the spell, and make the normal learning rolls. If you flub the roll, go get the formula or mind probe another mage's brain.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 1 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #7

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Why bother? You can reverse engineer a spell just by watching someone cast it while you percieve the spell. Without the felony Mind Prove involved.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 1 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Because consentual mutual mind probing helps strengthing the bonds of your initatory cult group. Everyone gets in a circle, sings kumbaya, and forms a mind probe chain. Smores and blood sacrifices are served afterwards.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 1 2004, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Because consentual mutual mind probing helps strengthing the bonds of your initatory cult group. Everyone gets in a circle, sings kumbaya, and forms a mind probe chain. Smores and blood sacrifices are served afterwards.

Gee, that sounds a lot like my initiation into the Saturn cult Family.

+Quote Post
Joker9125
post Dec 1 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,909

QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Gee, that sounds a lot like my initiation into the Saturn cult Family.

Interesting.................Where do I sign?

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 1 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #11

Running Target

At a dealership near you:

http://www.saturn.com/comp/dealer_locator/....jhtml?nav=4100

You, too, can join the Saturn cult Family. In addition to blood sacrifices, mind probe circles, and brainwashing, they have free donuts for you when come in for car maintenance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.