IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> spell question, how does invisibility work???
zenpoetsix
post Dec 1 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,066

hello:

i've been kicking around an issue that came from a discussion from last saturday's game. the wolf shaman in my game, his player likes to re-word spell names. basically, he calls invisibility "thought shield." the spell prevents other characters from "perceiving the concept of him visually," to quote him, when the spell is active. that seems to make sense. since the spell is mana based everything.

then the problem.

in the game, he was trying to stalk someone by using his thought shield than i ruled that he got spotted by a guard using astral perception. he brought up than since he was using the spell that the guard would have to pass a spell resistance test. than i quoted for him:

"Their aura is still visible to astral perception," by canon: page 195.

and, like a good little player, he agreed and backed down.

but this got me thinking; how does invisibility work??? if it works by bending light around the spell target tha would be improved invisiblity. but if it works by "manipulating" light, shouldn't it it the manipulation spell category, like the shadow spell manipulates light.

how does the mana-based invisibility work???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 1 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Stop trying to rationalize magic.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 1 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

One way to rationalize is it that even on the astral plane, the perceiver can't see the subject himself... but he can see the magical aura glowing around him as a result of the spell. Illusions can't cloak auras no matter what, though if he has Masking that might be able to help out (which is totally DM dependant, however).

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 1 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #4

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Stop trying to rationalize magic.

yes, stop now, save yourself.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Dec 1 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

We had this fight just a couple weeks ago. Go back, read that thread, and you'll save Doc and me the trouble of having to flame each other over it again.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 1 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

But it's so fun!

Regardless, your character just described the most sensible way for non-Improved Invisibility to work.

~J

+Quote Post
Garland
post Dec 1 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

Yeah, false sensory information, rather than any actual physical effect (like light-bending).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.