Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cybereye question
Teulisch
post Dec 9 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,965

im looking at cybereye mods, and what gives the best vision mods. with the 1.2 per eye limit, its hard to fit everything in, even with alphaware.

ive got thermo, low light, flare compensation, unltrasound (with the high frequency hearing), electric magnification, microscopic vision. thats .88 essence alpha ware there.
image link can be one eye. as one eye alpha ware, its only .12 essence.

the rangefinder (.08 essence) is an eye mod as well. but can it be one eye? if it can, then i can fit in eyelights (.16) as well. if not, then i have to wait a long time for a betaware upgrade. one-eye compatibility depends on how it functions, which has not been mentioned in cannon. also, rangefinder being an eye-mod is from SR2, with no real details on it in SR3.

what else is good as one eye without penalties? can the microscopoc be one-eye without a problem? everything else needs 2 eyes to work properly.

also, has anyone gotten/made non-cyber eyelight headbands? it seems like a usefull item to have, you just need to turn your head instead of moving your eyes to illuminate something.

a one-eye eyelight may still be usefull, but would only give -3 with low light, eliminating the partial light penalty, and dropping minimal light to +1. not really usefull in full darkness, unless you need to read something.

whats weird, is buying a one-eye mod twice (getting it for both eyes effectively), would let the eyelights fit with everything else in the eyes above. It would be a lot more expensive (both money and essence), but it looks like a workable loophole to the cybereye rules as written. technicaly you could fit 2 essence of standard gear into the eyes with single-eye alphaware, which is comparable to betaware for how much can fit in the eyes. (the essence cost would be 2.06 though)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Dec 9 2004, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

2.06? Where did you get that number... as a pair of cyber eyes can hold up to 1.2 essence worth of stuff, and the first .5 of that is free... thats still a MAX of .9 essence for cyber eyes...

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Dec 9 2004, 06:40 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

2.06 because of the single cybereye rules on p. 44 of M&M. its .16 for the alphaware cyber replacement, and then .95 per eye as a single eye only reduces essence by .25

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Dec 9 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #4

Man In The Machine

*blink blink* wow... thats screwed up... but then the question is, when it boils down to it, is it REALLY cost effective? Especally as seeing the rance finder (A isnt compatible with other vision magnifications and B) can be gotten as a smartlink mod instead. Or as a little thing you carry around.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 9 2004, 07:11 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

In SR3, the rangefinder smartlink accessory is not an eye modification. Check the references to it in M&M. Note that it is not listed in the senseware section, nor does its listing in the smartlink subsystem section mention that it is an eye mod, nor is it listed as an eye modification in the cyberware table in the back of the book. Apparently it was described as an eye mod in a previous edition, but this is no longer the case.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 9 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #6

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Actually IIRC those are two different pieces of cyberware, as the eye mod can be used without a smartlink, and vice versa.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 9 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Nope. If there exists a 3rd edition reference to an eye-mod rangefinder, I have never seen it and would love a page reference.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 9 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

By the power of NSRCG ViewDAT!

Name: Range Finder
Book.Page: mm.32
Availability: 8/48 hours
EssCost: 0.10
Cost: 2000
Mods:
LegalCode: 5P-N
Capacity:
Category: E
Street Index: 1.00
Notes: w/SM2 Shows range to target. -1 TN to targets at Long range and -2 TN at Extreme range. Not compatible with other vision magnifications.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Dec 9 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

There is no comment about that cyberware being an eye modification in the book. It's probably a recording error (or old edition leftover, whatever) that didn't attract enough attention to get fixed yet. Considering how much else seems to be going on with that program, one old data entry error can easily be missed.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 9 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

No, it's not listed as an eye mod there, sorry for the confusion. I'm just posting the page for those trying to keep up.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Teulisch)
im looking at cybereye mods, and what gives the best vision mods. with the 1.2 per eye limit, its hard to fit everything in, even with alphaware.

ive got thermo, low light, flare compensation, unltrasound (with the high frequency hearing), electric magnification, microscopic vision. thats .88 essence alpha ware there.
image link can be one eye. as one eye alpha ware, its only .12 essence.

the rangefinder (.08 essence) is an eye mod as well. but can it be one eye? if it can, then i can fit in eyelights (.16) as well. if not, then i have to wait a long time for a betaware upgrade. one-eye compatibility depends on how it functions, which has not been mentioned in cannon. also, rangefinder being an eye-mod is from SR2, with no real details on it in SR3.

what else is good as one eye without penalties? can the microscopoc be one-eye without a problem? everything else needs 2 eyes to work properly.

also, has anyone gotten/made non-cyber eyelight headbands? it seems like a usefull item to have, you just need to turn your head instead of moving your eyes to illuminate something.

a one-eye eyelight may still be usefull, but would only give -3 with low light, eliminating the partial light penalty, and dropping minimal light to +1. not really usefull in full darkness, unless you need to read something.

whats weird, is buying a one-eye mod twice (getting it for both eyes effectively), would let the eyelights fit with everything else in the eyes above. It would be a lot more expensive (both money and essence), but it looks like a workable loophole to the cybereye rules as written. technicaly you could fit 2 essence of standard gear into the eyes with single-eye alphaware, which is comparable to betaware for how much can fit in the eyes. (the essence cost would be 2.06 though)

Since all the eye-mods have some "blind" spot as far as penalties go it will be hard to cover all the bases without spending a ton of essence and nuyen. I skip low-light if I get Thermo and vice-versa. Ultrasound is a nice all around eye and if used with ears and a orientation sys the bonuses outweigh the penalty IMO. Low-light+eye lights is interesting, but not my favorite.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Dec 9 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

I'd reccommend keeping low-light and thermal and dropping ultrasound and just get them in goggles. Having ultrasound implanted makes them vulnerable/useless against the Invisibility spell. Goggles on the other hand have you covered against both Invisibility and Improved Invisibility.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
I'd reccommend keeping low-light and thermal and dropping ultrasound and just get them in goggles. Having ultrasound implanted makes them vulnerable/useless against the Invisibility spell. Goggles on the other hand have you covered against both Invisibility and Improved Invisibility.

Sorry I can't manage to wrap my head around that. How does having UV effect how invisibility works?

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Dec 9 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #14

Man In The Machine

Its the whole paid for by essnece thing.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 9 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #15

But the method of sensing is not actually sight. It's technically hearing.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Dec 9 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

But it's still being translated into a visual image directly to your brain, and thus is vulnerable to the mind affecting/altering nature of the Invisibility spell.

While with the goggles you are looking at a visual image as projected on a view screen, (not your brain) and is thus not affected by either spell.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 9 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Catsnightmare @ Dec 9 2004, 11:17 PM)
But it's still being translated into a visual image directly to your brain, and thus is vulnerable to the mind affecting/altering nature of the Invisibility spell.

While with the goggles you are looking at a visual image as projected on a view screen, (not your brain) and is thus not affected by either spell.

I really disagree.. is there a direct book quote to that effect? Becuase in reality ultrasound is not drawing what you are seeing. It's drawing what it could pick up sound from artifically. It's not even remotely vision even though it's translated that way entirely after the fact.

I compare to that to a pressure plate that draws on a screen where pressure is on the floor being fooled by invisibility because where the data ends up on is a screen that's seen visually.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 9 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #18

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Well, if you feel that invisibility affects light, then cybernetic ultrasound should work fine. If you believe invisibility affects the mind of the perceiver, and since cybernetic ultrasound puts an image into the visual center of the brain, it would be fooled.

This goes back (AGAIN) to the problem that improved invisibility, the physical version, should've been a manipulation spell. Either that or the definition of illusion spells needs to be revisited in the books.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
OK this I understand.

I disagree here though. You could similarly that a UV camera could not be affected by Improved Invis but the gogles would be acting similar to a video camera but on a much smaller scale. I don't think you can escape Invisbility since it effects your brain which is required to see things.

I hate to open this can of worms but, Improved invis is tricky since it would require a sufficient rated spell to overcome the camera and then the viewer of the camera would need to resist the spell once they started to view to camera's output. I'd agrue the same would apply to gogles or any other display medium that come between you and the subject of the Improved Invis. spell.

I would agree that regular invis would have no effect on UV gogles or the person using them.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 9 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I'll cast my vote that invisibility or improved invisibility would not work against goggles. The goggles detect sound, which is not affected by either spell, and would produce an image of a person, which is a thing wholely separate from the person (who is invisible) that could be seen.

As for the question of cyber-ultrasound, well, I already said my bit regarding that above.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I'll cast my vote that invisibility or improved invisibility would not work against goggles. The goggles detect sound, which is not affected by either spell, and would produce an image of a person, which is a thing wholely separate from the person (who is invisible) that could be seen.

As for the question of cyber-ultrasound, well, I already said my bit regarding that above.

The most confusing part is UV is listed as an EYE with implies vision. IMO, UV should be a seperate device apare from Eyeware.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Dec 9 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

ultrasound gives a +4 mod to taget something by ultrasound alone, such as an invisible mage. you need silence or sound-based illusion to affect ultrasound vision. ultrasound divides all your vision mods by half, round up. the question is, would the spatial recognizer+high frequency hearing apply a -3 to that? i suspect that amplified hearing would increase the effective range of ultrasound (not sure what it would be. how far before sound takes a combat turn to get there and back at high frequencies?)

with thermo, lowlight+eyelights, ultrasound, and a flare compensator, vision mods drop to +1 for full darkness and heavy rain/fog, +2 for thermal smoke, and +4 for invisible foes. thats it.

the advatage of goggles is that they need an improved version of silence to get past the ultrasound. the downside, is most goggles only give one type of vision.

of course, ultrasound is vunerable to white noise, but if you have a good select sound filter then it needs to be a really high rating white noise to affect you.

heres what i have for my cybere-eyes now:
Alpha Cybereyes (Thermographic, ultrasound, image link[one eye], flare comp, E Mag 3, Micro, low light, eye light system)[.82 essence]

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 10 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Guys, guys. Woah. First off, youre making the puppies cry with the abbreviation. UV is Ultraviolet, a type of electromagnetic radiation. We're talking about Ultrasound here, which is completely different. As for the ultrasound goggles/eyes:

page 18 MM: "Indirect illusion spells that affect sight do not affect this system."

...thats pretty cut and dry. If you want some justification, I provided one back during the bit debate about how invisibility works. I'll go ahead and provide that here... I hope it helps, conceptually.
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
In regards to the ultrasound vision thing, heres my take.

Imagine that you have combination of an ultrasound emitter, an ultrasound detector, and processor that converts the data recieved by the detector into an image file, all of which exists as an independent, external device. The improved invisibility spell does not fool this device, since it is not using visual detection, and so it succeeds in recording the sonic patterns and transcoding them into the image. Imagine, further, that rather than saving the image as a file, you have a radio transmitter attached to the external ultrasound processor, and it beamed the transcoded information back to a display screen a half-mile away in real time. You would be able to see the image it produced, because it was an image compiled from data that was not affected by the invisibility spell.

Now, imagine that this whole contraption AND the display screen are small enough to fit inside your eye, and that, since it's in your eye, you can replace the radio transmitter with a tiny fiberoptic cable linking the processor to the display screen. Oh yeah, thats what the Ultrasonic vision eye modification is!

If you agree that you would be able to see the image produced by the external device on that display screen (and you most definitely should), then you shouldnt have any problems with the idea of being able to see the exact same image produced in the exact same way by the cybernetic version. The processor in this case is the part that would be affected by the spell, but since the processor is recieving sonic information, it is not fooled.

And to clarify just a bit further - think of invisibility and improved invisiblity failing against ultrasound vision systems because of the level of abstraction involved in generating the ultrasound image. You arent directly percieving the ultrasound as an image, a processor is producing an image for you. The illusion would have to fool the processor, which it cant because its a visual illusion, not an aural one.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Dec 10 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Man and Machine (revised Whiz Kids/FanPro edition) pg 18
"Cybernetic ultrasound sight is affected by mana-based indirect illusion spells, because it hs been purchased with essence."

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 10 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Guys, guys.  Woah.  First off, youre making the puppies cry with the abbreviation.  UV is Ultraviolet, a type of electromagnetic radiation.  We're talking about Ultrasound here

Right, but since we were in the context of Ultrasound Vision, UV seemed acceptable.

As for the MM reference, had only someone referenced that earlier!! Thanks a bunch!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.