Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How does a SIN affect a runner?, I missed something about this
Xavroc
post Dec 9 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,872

I know having a SIN can mess a shadowrunner up. Having a SIN means his DNA, fingerprints, picture and other identifing marks are accessible by anyone with a good computer skill and a deck, or some sort of security. But how do I exactly use this a PC flaw. He insisted on having one, but I told him alot of SRs have the SINs deleted. What do I look for as a GM to hinder the character? This may seem bad but he thinks he god cause he knows the rules better then me. A rules lawyer if you will. Just looking for reason. BTW any tips for handling rules (and lawyers).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 9 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Meh, I don't think it's a flaw that comes up everyday. It's only when the unexpected happens that it begins to unravel the dual life. Say, for example, that the character is at a restaurant when a mafia or yakuza enemy spots him or her and decides to finish it right there. Or course the character is able to defend him or herself and escape the enemy, but is now on camera as having killed, shot at, or used illegal to quasi-illegal to dispatch the threat. The investigating police collect evidence (like DNA from the soup spoon or simply asking for the store's records) and then have a few questions for him or her. Even if cleared of wrong doing the enemies know his or her real name and can track the SIN across the globe. Even more than that, however, is that unless one alters the real SIN data, any fake SIN is all but useless since none of the data can actually match the character.

+Quote Post
vagranttimelord
post Dec 9 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,771

First off, SIN's are never "deleted" people just get fake ones and use those till the real ones are of little use. If a character does have a SIN it means he can purchase items legally. However if he is ever caught doing something illegal, such as a shadowrun, Lone Star will know his mothers maiden name, who his 3rd cousin is and where he eats lunch on Tuesdays. Not to mention the aforementioned DNA, fingerprints, and photograph.

So if your runner doesn't have a fake SIN also... he had better be good at covering his trail, wearing gloves, hairnet, unmarked guns.... forensic police do really well at their job. :)

+Quote Post
Xavroc
post Dec 9 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,872

Tracking Him...With the PC using his real SIN thou. Does that mean anyone with the power, can track him down via SIN credstick. Use the credstick to put here in certain locations of a crime scene. I have read somewhere about deleting SINs before, I think the spawl survival guide gives a story that someone does so but i don't remember rules for doing so? are there rules for deleting to SIN or an appropriate cost for doing so?

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Dec 9 2004, 05:37 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Well, it came up recently in our game...

A high-profile trid composer was murdered in a very photogenic fashion by a pair of bombs in his garage. The neighborhood camera recordings were looked at for the 24 hours prior to the bombing, and a PC's registered car was one of those flagged as 'not usual traffic'. So they looked up the registration, got his name: looked up his file:

He's an ex-arena brawl player dumped for drug problems years ago.
Lives in the barrens of all places as a squatter, known address out of date.

They decided to go looking for him.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 9 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

My personal theory is that ANY SIN, fake or the one you got at birth, becomes a liability if you use it often, because then the authorities can use it to build a profile on you or even just find out where you've been recently or right now.

The trick is to routinely switch between SINs, so that if the law somehow figures out Joe X's SIN is actually one of your identities, they won't have a complete picture.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 9 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Backgammon)
The trick is to routinely switch between SINs, so that if the law somehow figures out Joe X's SIN is actually one of your identities, they won't have a complete picture.

And if you can sell the SIN to some illegal immigrant sap who has terminal cancer and needs it to get in the country for an operation. Even if you have to pay the syndicate to change the identification data, you've just made a huge dead end for investigation.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Xavroc)
I know having a SIN can mess a shadowrunner up. Having a SIN means his DNA, fingerprints, picture and other identifing marks are accessible by anyone with a good computer skill and a deck, or some sort of security. But how do I exactly use this a PC flaw. He insisted on having one, but I told him alot of SRs have the SINs deleted. What do I look for as a GM to hinder the character? This may seem bad but he thinks he god cause he knows the rules better then me. A rules lawyer if you will. Just looking for reason. BTW any tips for handling rules (and lawyers).

As it was mentioned SINS aren't deleted, much like how social security numbers (for those in the US) don't get deleted. Many times fake identities are established using legitimate numbers, but they are taken from deceased people or are just use existing ones making someones credit history a complete wreck.

As a runner with a SIN he would certainly enjoy the benefits of owning firearm permits (maybe), getting auto loans, a valid drivers license, paying rent, getting a job, etc., the list goes on. The down side as you've mentioned, is there is file somewhere with your picture on it, fingerprints, DNA, mother's madien name, you name it, they got it.

To me, this all means that once authorities start asking questions about you they will have lots of personal information about you and probably the ability to freeze bank accounts, get search warrents, wire taps, send the IRS after you, etc.

Personally, I would impress upon my SIN-ful runner that *any* evedence left behind will be used for investigatory purposes. If nothing else, I'll get the guy so freaked out he's gonna fake his own death just to get a new fake-SIN just cause he is worried about being thrown in the slammer.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 9 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

As it was mentioned SINS aren't deleted, much like how social security numbers (for those in the US) don't get deleted.

Yes, yes they do. It takes some money, time, and/or skill, but it is done and often enough to be mentioned several places. The SIN is simply a set of data contained on several, powerful and secure "registries" and they can be created, deleted, modified and so on. Sprawl Survival Guide has the rules for it, IIRC.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Sorry, I meant the governing bodies don't delete them, I am more than sure they can be deleted. Everyone loves an audit trail, especially governing bodies.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 9 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Sorry, I meant the governing bodies don't delete them, I am more than sure they can be deleted. Everyone loves an audit trail, especially governing bodies.

That I'll agree with except in the cases of the deepest darkest black ops teams and even then it's more oft hidden than deleted. Corporations are pretty much the same, though they might erase SINs to cover up "accidents" and such... then again, maybe the government would too...

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Dec 9 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Of course, if they don't have a SIN to erase, it makes cleaning up the accident that much easier. ;)

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Dec 10 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

I find it unlikely that LS will turn up a DNA match on your SIN unless you have been suspected of criminal activity before. Given the population of the UCAS, it would be unlikely for them to run a full database search just because they got a DNA sample or a fingerprint. They would need to narrow it down somewhat before they could do that effectively. It is much more profitable to let the occasional difficult crime get written off as being committed by a SINless lowlife than to solve every single crime where the only thing you have to go off of is a smugged fingerprint and a skin scraping.

They probably search against their database of prior arrestees and against the specific suspects in the case.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 10 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I find it unlikely that LS will turn up a DNA match on your SIN unless you have been suspected of criminal activity before. Given the population of the UCAS, it would be unlikely for them to run a full database search just because they got a DNA sample or a fingerprint.
Er, that's not how we do it now. If a crime is comitted and we pull a fingerprint, we do run it against a national database of all fingerprints on file, and not just against those with a criminal past. We have many fingerprints on file of those who have never been arrested, such as CCW owners, people with work cards, children that were printed as part of government programs, ect.

They would need to narrow it down somewhat before they could do that effectively. It is much more profitable to let the occasional difficult crime get written off as being committed by a SINless lowlife than to solve every single crime where the only thing you have to go off of is a smugged fingerprint and a skin scraping.
If you can get a perp from a simple database search just from a fingerprint and a skin scraping, that's little work for looking better on your bottom line.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 10 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Bit, since you're often the champion of the SINless - do you recall what the canon references are for the details on SINs versus the SINless?

-Siege

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 10 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #16

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I'd have to go home for the page numbers. In a nutshell the sinless in the UCAS are "Probationary Citizens" with limited legal protection. They have no right to vote nor hold office, yet they are provided an attourney in the case of the crime and are fully protected by the constitution. They are the rough equavilent of a resident alien, or better, someone without a legal SSN today. They cannot rent an apartment or sign up for utilities without issues. They are not officially counted in cencus, ect. They are residents but not full citizens.

I'm just always on this bandwagon, because the SINless are not "non people" like the opinion is so prevalent, thewy just have greatly reduced rights. Killing a SINless is still murder, ect ect.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 10 2004, 03:20 AM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I know, which is why I asked you. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Jonah
post Dec 10 2004, 05:19 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 5,758

And alot of AAA security areas are harder to access (or at least move around easily) without a SIN. Watch those police check points...

+Quote Post
Voran
post Dec 10 2004, 05:49 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Especially in the 2064 SR universe, I imagine databases are not as shared as they are today. Especially based on who's asking for the information. I rather doubt the LS database is always open to a KE checker, and vice versa. Good luck getting anything outta a db related to Aztechnology.

Do people who come from places that don't use SIN, get assigned one when they enter UCAS territory? Ways around this?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 10 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #20

Beetle Eater

Especially in the 2064 SR universe, I imagine databases are not as shared as they are today. Especially based on who's asking for the information. I rather doubt the LS database is always open to a KE checker, and vice versa. Good luck getting anything outta a db related to Aztechnology.

Well, it's really about money for the most part. Megacorps share their SIN regeistries with governments to support extraterritoriality, and they sell the services of hosting and securing such databases.

Bills and credit, along with direct spamming information, is all tied to one's SIN as well, and, like the registries, these are services for sale.

Do people who come from places that don't use SIN, get assigned one when they enter UCAS territory? Ways around this?

I can't think of any nation from which the UCAS would accept people that doesn't issue SINs. The UCAS does not issue SINs to visitors (though Pueblo does); should such a person attempt entry without a Visa (aka SIN), they are sent back. One can apply for citizenship - similar to those living there - and successful applicant will be allowed to enter the country. Fake Visas are the way around this, and there is a thriving black market for them today.

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: Dec 10 2004, 06:45 AM

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Dec 10 2004, 06:41 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

Remember the old west?
Traveling from one state to the other meant eluding the laws of the one you just left and abiding by the laws of the one you were just entering.
No federal law mattered to you back then because there wasn't a national Social Security system for tracking people or a strong unified federal government.

Well, now days, people can go sovergn if they really want to.
It's completely legal to do so.
It also means that you will be cut off from the government perks completely except areas that you can prove in court to be absolutely needed for your personal survival (ie. cash)
You lose your US citizenship and you become only a domecile of the state you live in and a citizen of the state you were born in.
You only fall under the laws of the state when you become sovergn.
You lose the ability to use most banks, jobs are harder because you can't fill out tax information that comercial businesses need to hire you, lones are tough to come by because the only credit you have is your own assets since you no longer fall into a federal income bracket.

This would be something akin to what you would experience in not having a SIN legally.
You would be thrown in Jail now and then because police do not understand sovergn or SINless in anyother respect than illegal. Then you would have to explain to the court who would then release you if you actually are legally SINless (sovergn), and so on and on....

Illegally SINless is much like people illegally getting rid of their SSN today.
It's not really that easy, and it's pretty dangerous to do, and if you screw up then you are in some pretty nice trouble.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Dec 10 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (BitBasher)
We have many fingerprints on file of those who have never been arrested, such as CCW owners, people with work cards, children that were printed as part of government programs, ect.

We may have a lot of people on file now, but we don't have prints for everyone who is a citizen. Plus, our police are not a for profit organization. Lone Star is going to have to have some aspect of serve & protect (otherwise they wouldn't get the job), but the bottom line is going to matter to them.

If you can get a perp from a simple database search just from a fingerprint and a skin scraping, that's little work for looking better on your bottom line.

That is assuming that the fingerprint or skin scraping is linked to the crime scene in some meaningful way (on something that a camera confirmed the criminal touched, under victim's nails, blood spatter, etc). My original post implied that, now that I reread it, but that wasn't what I meant. What I meant to go against was the GATTACA like situation that I felt some of the earlier posters were implying that when a crime occurs LS shows up and scoures the scene and picks up every little piece of DNA they can and runs every last one of them.

I would also contend that it isn't a simple database search. Given the number of fake SINs out there, it cannot be. If it were simple, then you could never have any data on two fake SINs match or it would trigger alarm bells.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 10 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

If it were simple, then you could never have any data on two fake SINs match or it would trigger alarm bells.

Well, hopefully those that coded the fake ID will make it "Active on Demand" but passed over by general scans and the routine error checking.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.