IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chipjack Expert Driver, only for use on chipjacks?
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

The MM text says it needs to be installed per chipjack that want's to take advantage of it, but this would exclude using it on chips that have been uploaded for use. Anyone allow this to be used more generically for "any chip skill present" (per CJD) rather than only for chips slotted per MM?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 9 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i would, yeah. install it, route it to headware memory.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 9 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Yep. A datajack or router routing the memory to the chipjack works just fine.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Would a router even be needed since it's already installed in your head? Isn't the Chipjack linked to headware memory by default?

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Dec 9 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,768

Damn, I can not remeber for sure but I thought you needed a knowsoft link and then you were set. Its the know soft link that conects it all.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 9 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

A chipjack is just a dedicated datajack, and datajacks come with 3 router ports by default. While they're not linked to headware memory by default, you could easily say that one of your ports is linked to it.

So, you may or may not need a router, depending on how many other things you've got linked to your chipjack.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Cain)
A chipjack is just a dedicated datajack, and datajacks come with 3 router ports by default. While they're not linked to headware memory by default, you could easily say that one of your ports is linked to it.

So, you may or may not need a router, depending on how many other things you've got linked to your chipjack.

Ahh yes, that's right it's all flooding back now. Might need a router if it's beyond the initial 3 routers provided.

So do you think a multi-jack have 3 routers per slot?

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Dec 9 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Hm, good question.

Maybe two each so that they can be chain-linked to each other.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 9 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The rules specify that only Datajacks can function as a router, which is needed for any implants to communicate with each other (including ways they weren't normally designed to be). The very nature of the limited aspect of a Chipjack suggests that it doesn't, and the rules back that up by never saying that they do.

Just get a Datajack and be happy with it. :P They're too damned useful to avoid, and if you already have a Chipjack, a Datajack certainly isn't going to kill you.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The rules specify that only Datajacks can function as a router, which is needed for any implants to communicate with each other (including ways they weren't normally designed to be). The very nature of the limited aspect of a Chipjack suggests that it doesn't, and the rules back that up by never saying that they do.

Just get a Datajack and be happy with it. :P They're too damned useful to avoid, and if you already have a Chipjack, a Datajack certainly isn't going to kill you.

Well now that i know I can use the CJD with link headware memory, then I'll just get a Datajack instead.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 9 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Dec 9 2004, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 9 2004, 03:17 PM)
The rules specify that only Datajacks can function as a router, which is needed for any implants to communicate with each other (including ways they weren't normally designed to be).  The very nature of the limited aspect of a Chipjack suggests that it doesn't, and the rules back that up by never saying that they do.

Just get a Datajack and be happy with it. :P  They're too damned useful to avoid, and if you already have a Chipjack, a Datajack certainly isn't going to kill you.

Well now that i know I can use the CJD with link headware memory, then I'll just get a Datajack instead.

Hell, if you can use a CED with headware memory then you can use it with the chips you've slotted through the skillsoft jukebox you've got stored in your pocket and linked through your datajack. That way you can forget about the damn headware memory too; that stuff eats up Essence like little else.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 9 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

This char has a DNI-enabled 1000MP OMC installed in a cyberlimb, so that's techincally what I am linking the datajack/CJD to, but that's a good thought too.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 10 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

And this is why I play adepts - way less numbers to crunch.

-Siege

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Dec 10 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
The MM text says it needs to be installed per chipjack that want's to take advantage of it, but this would exclude using it on chips that have been uploaded for use. Anyone allow this to be used more generically for "any chip skill present" (per CJD) rather than only for chips slotted per MM?

Thanks.

I think it is intended to be chips slotted for the specific reason of keeping people from gaining a pool applicable to all of their 'softs. One of the biggest restrictions on skill softs (aside from cost and memory) is that they don't get any pool dice, so allowing a miniscual amount of essence effectively bypass that rule (and to give pools to skills that don't normally get them) feels a little like cheating to me. I would say that if you don't have the soft in the chipjack, you're just SOL when it comes to pool.

+Quote Post
Dr. Black
post Dec 10 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,729

And this is why I play adepts - way less numbers to crunch.

My adept had resources A, magic of 1 (Geasa'd to 6), Essence of 3, a bunch of bioware, and over 80 skills chipped at 3 + CED.

Mega numbers game.

:D

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 10 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Dec 9 2004, 04:05 PM)
The MM text says it needs to be installed per chipjack that want's to take advantage of it, but this would exclude using it on chips that have been uploaded for use.  Anyone allow this to be used more generically for "any chip skill present" (per CJD) rather than only for chips slotted per MM?

Thanks.

I think it is intended to be chips slotted for the specific reason of keeping people from gaining a pool applicable to all of their 'softs. One of the biggest restrictions on skill softs (aside from cost and memory) is that they don't get any pool dice, so allowing a miniscual amount of essence effectively bypass that rule (and to give pools to skills that don't normally get them) feels a little like cheating to me. I would say that if you don't have the soft in the chipjack, you're just SOL when it comes to pool.

That wasn't quite what I was asking.

Normally you can slot a chip, upload it to headware memory and then based on the MP rating of your skillwires, run the chips from the memory, instead of from the chip itself. My question should have been phrased, "Is it possible to get the bonus for the CJD while running the skill from headware memory?". Since MM says each chip-slot would require a CJD for the bonus, I'd say you'd need to specify which active skill is using the CJD and require some time be spent (about the same as changing the chip) in order to change what chip-skill could use tje CJD. So basically, disallow multiple skills using the CJD at the same time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.