IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing clips in the heat of battle..., How often have you done it?
How often have you done it?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 72
Guests cannot vote 
iPad
post Dec 10 2004, 01:30 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,671

I can only remember having to do it once, burst firing an alpha at a mob of people who were charging along a street at long/medium and eventually short range. Since most SR fire fights Ive been in are over in a combat turn or two 3-6 seconds ammo used in a fight is much of a muchness. The one exception being shotties.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Dec 10 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Maybe back in Second Edition, when suppressing fire was better than aimed shooting. Pretty much never in 3rd Ed.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 10 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yeah. most of my battles have been over inside two rounds. in the last game i played in, however, i ended up using all but my last two clips of ammo, so that throws off my curve a bit. man, that was fun--at one point, i spent... oh, five rounds or so, i guess, burning through a belt of MMG ammo at ~21 rounds per turn.

that sounds like some kind of high-end millspec ops game, but it really wasn't. at the time, my character was wearing beach shorts, a tropical shirt, and bare feet; we'd been out on the beach, waiting to to the next part of the run, when Bad Things started happening all over the place. most of the group ended up completely weaponless, with little or no armor. we managed to ambush a jeepful of "soldiers" (indonesian punks with rusty AKs and predator knockoffs in flipflops and cutoff fatigues) and taking their stuff, including the MMG mounted on their jeep. my character had to default to Str when he used it; luckily, i was using suppressive fire and centering, so i did some nice damage to the hundreds of shedim crossing the channel to eat our tasty flesh-parts. woo, good times.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Dec 10 2004, 02:31 AM
Post #4

UMS O.G.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,335

You know its bad when you reload your 50 rnd drum four times. Or your Ares alpha grenade launcher 4 times and stop reloading because you (and the rest of the party) are out of ammo. A fast sam can empty a standard assault rifle every turn with the cyberarm gyro mount and our current sam almost emptied his 100 rnd belt on the LMG. Fighting from cover at night with opponents in cover takes a while.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 10 2004, 02:46 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

My primary PC uses a G38 carbine rifle with 100 rd drum. Any reloading more than once... means we're in deeper doodoo than we have any right to get out alive.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Dec 10 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (mfb)
yeah. most of my battles have been over inside two rounds. in the last game i played in, however, i ended up using all but my last two clips of ammo, so that throws off my curve a bit. man, that was fun--at one point, i spent... oh, five rounds or so, i guess, burning through a belt of MMG ammo at ~21 rounds per turn.

that sounds like some kind of high-end millspec ops game, but it really wasn't. at the time, my character was wearing beach shorts, a tropical shirt, and bare feet; we'd been out on the beach, waiting to to the next part of the run, when Bad Things started happening all over the place. most of the group ended up completely weaponless, with little or no armor. we managed to ambush a jeepful of "soldiers" (indonesian punks with rusty AKs and predator knockoffs in flipflops and cutoff fatigues) and taking their stuff, including the MMG mounted on their jeep. my character had to default to Str when he used it; luckily, i was using suppressive fire and centering, so i did some nice damage to the hundreds of shedim crossing the channel to eat our tasty flesh-parts. woo, good times.

That sounds just like one of Bung's stories from PAoE... :D

+Quote Post
iPad
post Dec 10 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

toturi surely thats what aiming and single shot is for? Or suppressive fire? Or better hand to hand combat.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 10 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

QUOTE (iPad @ Dec 10 2004, 10:49 AM)
toturi surely thats what aiming and single shot is for? Or suppressive fire? Or better hand to hand combat.

Think the 2 snipers in Blackhawk Down with Shedim instead of skinnies. Our rigger's drones ran out of ammo and our mage used up all his Great Form Elementals.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Dec 10 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I honestly can't say I've ever seen enough action to justify reloading. Admittedly, my character spent most of his time avoiding combat, but in stand up fights, it was usually over before you even got half way through a mag. It really feels like the rules encourage players being unrealistic machines of efficiency in combat, and the only time you end up needing to reload is if you're up against more enemies than you have rounds in your mag.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 10 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #10

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Our group did a similar to "Blackhawk Down" Scenario once.

Those tend to suck ammo at a tremendous rate.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Dec 10 2004, 03:14 AM
Post #11

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

In about thirteen years of playing Shadowrun, I've run into the occasion to reload maybe three times.

The first time was in the first game I ever played. Playing the elf street samurai out of the back of the SSC, I rolled an initiative so high (67 on 3D6) that I leveled three out of four of the opposition with an FN HAR, then took cover and reloaded before anyone else went. The next guy in the group to go, a troll street sam, killed the last guy. Directly after that, he opened a door into the next room and promptly took nine rounds upside the head from the guy on the other side of it. And lived. hahaha! First edition...

+Quote Post
iPad
post Dec 10 2004, 03:21 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Well the situation I described above, I wasnt using combat pool and didnt have smart link then.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 10 2004, 03:33 AM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Back in the day we used a separate sheet of gird paper with sections pencil traced to represent clips and would mark off the bullets as they went. Several clips each were used every mission against the hordes of ninjii I poured upon them, along with boxes of grenades. Of course, we blasted through the front doors every time.

It's still fun to have a little gang war now and again, you know, to keep the PCs on their toes. Demon rat armies and shedim, oh my.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 10 2004, 03:37 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
It's still fun to have a little gang war now and again, you know, to keep the PCs on their toes. Demon rat armies and shedim, oh my.

Flesh Form Demon Rat [Insert favorite insect spirit type here] armies. Mutated metahuman Shedim. Drones, lot of drones. All of those eat up ammo at a fearful rate.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Dec 10 2004, 04:11 AM
Post #15

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

I have had to reload a few times, mostly because my PCs tend to use revolvers and shotguns. That 7 round problem and all...

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Dec 10 2004, 04:40 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

I recall having to reload a sporting/sniper rifle once.
All I'll say about that situation is Azlatan Jaguars are bastards to kill. :cyber:

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 10 2004, 04:58 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

In genneral yeah, if you need to reload long arms, in a SHADOWrun, things are in the crapper. Pistols, those can need reloading, especially if you use revolvers.

We did do one minicampign set in CFS fighting Imperial Occupation forces. That lead to some hot and heavy firefights.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 10 2004, 04:59 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Define "in the heat of battle"? If I've used up more than two or three rounds and I get a few actions without a visible target or anyone shooting directly at me, I'll often swap magazines.

~J

+Quote Post
U_Fester
post Dec 10 2004, 05:23 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,863

I have had to change in battle in both heavy fire and durring a quick break. I did find out the hard way that you do not throw down clips full of XXP on the ground... especially if it is near the third rail.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Dec 10 2004, 05:35 AM
Post #20

Runner

Uh, ammunition wouldn't go off if you threw it on an electrified rail/anything else. The ammunition doesn't complete a circuit, and is therefore not going to overheat and discharge. Hell, if it touches the rail/whatever on two points, it's still the same electric potential, so still no discharge.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Dec 10 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I think he meant from 3 stories up, onto the ground floor. Which could cause a sufficient impact to set at least one round off, which since they're explosive, would most likely set the remainder of the clip off.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Dec 10 2004, 05:55 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Really? I always thought explosive rounds were more stable than that.

edit: what makes you think he was 3 stories up?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Dec 10 2004, 05:59 AM
Post #23

Runner

Explosive rounds are more stable than that. Dropping a bullet from three stories up is not sufficient to set off any center fire round, much less any in a magazine, explosive or otherwise.

And nothing even suggests a three story drop.

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Dec 10 2004, 06:06 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

Au contraire, Arethusa.

I reference the Darwin Award where a man used a bullet to use as a fuse in his car, and his lost nads would like to have a chat with you. :dead:

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Dec 10 2004, 06:34 AM
Post #25

Runner

Actually, that's really the point. Used as a fuse, the bullet completes a circuit, heats up, and discharges (rather pathetically, considering the complete lack of a barrel and the fact that you can't fit anything larger than a .22 in there). If you throw a bullet on an electrified fence, however, even if it connects to the fence at two points, there will be no circuit because both points have identical electric potential.

Also, I would advise against believing anything you read in the Darwin Awards. The bullet fuse is a classic urban myth, and comes in a viarety of flavors. It may or may not have ever happened, but I wouldn't bet on it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.