Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn to Goo, We all loved it
Xavroc
post Dec 10 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,872

This came up in a general why we loved SR1 discussion a couple weeks ago. Me and my friends where talking about this spell and why it was so broken. Ever since they took it of of SR when SR2 came out I've missed it and my friends pitty my power-munchkin habits of gaming. I'm just looking for the general opion of a good SR community. And maybe a SR3 conversion since I lost my SR1 collection to a mastiff.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Dec 10 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

I never particularly saw it as a munchkin type of spell, but that might just be me. I think Steve Kenson came up with a 3rd Edition version of it somewhere, but a quick search of his website didn't reveal it to me. It shouldn't be hard to find with a Google, though.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Dec 10 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

What did it do?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 10 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Exactly what it sounds like.

~J

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 10 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

It eliminated the cohesion between your atoms, causing you to literally turn to goo. If memory serves, however, it left your cyberware intact, making it VERY valuable.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 10 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

I thought it just turned all of you to goo, period.

+Quote Post
cth
post Dec 10 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 2,069

The answer Steven Kenson came up with when the subject of "turn to goo" were discussed on the ShadowRN mailing list back in 2001:

In a message dated 2/8/01 12:10:31 PM, "LPVOID" <lpvoid@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> So why not bring back Turn to Goo?  Why was it taken out anyway?  I always
> loved that one...

I did my best. Turn to Goo was in the final draft of the SR3 magic chapter I
sent to FASA, but it mysteriously got cut at the last minute. Strange thing
was, I put it in the draft of MitS and the same thing happened ;-)

Gremlins in the FASA offices, clearly.

FWIW, here's the version I wrote:

Turn To Goo
Type: P * Target: B or OR * Duration: S * Drain: +2S

Turn to Goo breaks down the target’s molecular cohesion, reducing it to a
puddle of sludge. The Threshold is the target’s Body or Barrier Rating. So
long as the material is kept together, the target will return to normal when
the spell ends. If the material is dispersed or separated, the target is
(messily) destroyed when the spell ends. Living targets are not conscious
while under the effects of this spell.

Major Physical Change (S), Physical Spell (+1 target), Sustained (+1 target).

Shake well and enjoy!

Steve Kenson

\cth

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Dec 11 2004, 01:41 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Sooo....

You cast it at a Force high enough to affect the Body of the target but low enough not to match the OR requirements for the cyberware...

Spotless 2nd hand cyberware is only one side benefit of this (and yes, I did know a group that goo'd dead enemies for rapid retrieval of valuable cyber <shudder> ); the question tapping persistently at my brain is, what happens when - after you've snaffled the cyber - you drop the spell and the target reconstitutes..?

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Dec 11 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Wasn't the term 'messily dead' just used somewhere else a minute ago?

The parts that contained cyberware are blank. Figure out what problems apply on a per-case basis. I can't think of any, short of a cortex bomb, that would leave a person in a condition to be glad to be alive.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 11 2004, 01:51 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (DrJest)
Sooo....

You cast it at a Force high enough to affect the Body of the target but low enough not to match the OR requirements for the cyberware...?

Nope. The OR of your cyberware is reduced to that of the rest of your body when you pay for it with essence. This is also why you cant target pieces of cyberware specifically with spells - as far as magic is concerned, you and your ware are a single entity.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 11 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

The spell isn't too bad, but the description is. Molecular Cohesion? WTF. You don't describe Shapechange in terms of molecules, why start with another transformation manipulation?

Nope. The OR of your cyberware is reduced to that of the rest of your body when you pay for it with essence. This is also why you cant target pieces of cyberware specifically with spells - as far as magic is concerned, you and your ware are a single entity.

The OR isn't exactly "reduced" but simply irrelevant. As you said, "as far as magic is concerned, you and your ware are a single entity." And while that doesn't translate perfectly because of astral projection and (IIRC) regeneration, it's a good rule of thumb. Once you're dead I would think it counts OR as per material.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 11 2004, 02:11 AM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
The spell isn't too bad, but the description is. Molecular Cohesion? WTF. You don't describe Shapechange in terms of molecules, why start with another transformation manipulation?

Describing molecular activity isnt exactly without precedent. A more analogous spell than Shapechange/Transform is Petrify, which is described as the transformation of living tissues into calcium carbonate. Likewise, the Ignite spell is described in terms of accelerating molecular motion (which is redundant given the actual definition of temperature, but it makes it sound cooler).

The OR isn't exactly "reduced" but simply irrelevant.  As you said, "as far as magic is concerned, you and your ware are a single entity." And while that doesn't translate perfectly because of astral projection and (IIRC) regeneration, it's a good rule of thumb. Once you're dead I would think it counts OR as per material.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 11 2004, 02:13 AM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Describing molecular activity isnt exactly without precedent. A more analogous spell than Shapechange/Transform is Petrify, which is described as the transformation of living tissues into calcium carbonate. Likewise, the Ignite spell is described in terms of accelerating molecular motion (which is redundant given the actual definition of temperature, but it makes it sound cooler).

Meh, I still think it's dumb and unnecessary.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 11 2004, 02:15 AM
Post #14

Running Target

...which is a fair and reasonable opinion, I'm just pointing out that the description is thematically consistent with those of other canon spells. Whether those descriptions are *good* is another matter entirely.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.