IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> maps or prints, where can i find some already made?
equinox
post Dec 12 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,848

i was wondering, where can i go to find already made floor plans and layouts for buildings?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Dec 12 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

From a recent thread:

http://www.shadowrun.de/sr/material/bodenp...ene-english.htm

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 12 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

There are also a few at SotSW; I'm hoping someday I'll get off my lazy arse and add more.

~J

+Quote Post
Thanos007
post Dec 12 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,563

I'd like to address this issue, and this is not the 1st time I've done it.

Let me start by saying that I absolutely suck at maps. Not just a little, a lot. What I'd really like to see from Fan Pro is a book about the size of SoE with nothing but maps. Don't need plot hooks. Don't need average employee/patron stats. Just maps. However not maps of apartment or houses. I find that almost any one can do that. What I need maps of (and I don't think I'm alone here) are of large buildings and facilities. I need a map of an oil refinery, large research center, hospitals, prisons, factories, malls, etc.

I see simular threads like this about every other month and they never get very big but they are almost always here. I don't even think the project would be hard to do. Just collect a number of existing buildings blue prints and you have your 20-30 :nuyen: book. Come on people lets put the pressure on Fan Pro or who ever to make a book of maps for modern/future eras.

You know what? I want this book so bad I'm gonna make it my crusade to get it published. Who's with me? What maps do you want to see in this book? Lets get this done!!!

Thank you for your support,

Thanos

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Dec 12 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Maps I'd love to see:

Medical Clinic
Cleaning company headquarters
Junkyard
Sewer system
Water drainage system
Lone Star station
Low security prison
high security prison
Bioresearch facility
Mechanic's shop
Assorted retail shops
Squatter buildings

JaronK

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 12 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

I like making maps, personally. An easy way to make a good looking map is in Paint. Start out with a black field, and then make a lot of overlapping green boxes about five pixels wide. Then paint over everything in the middle, so you just have the outline. Then go back with lines three pixels wide to fill it out with rooms and hallways. I usually use the big eraser as a meter (this works for most moderate sized buildings that will fit on one sheet of paper), so three of those for most main halls, two for smaller, etc. Stick doors on. (You can do this in b&w too to make it easier to print out, but just like the way the black and green looks).

But my main source for maps are the "internets". Real world layouts (convention centers, hotels, hospitals, etc) are all generally available, and real-world maps just look more, uh, real for some reason.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 12 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

junkyards are easy.

get a lot of toy vehicles.

throw them on the ground.

You're done.

+Quote Post
The Question Man
post Dec 13 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,722

Thank for the link folks.

Cheers

QM :grinbig:

+Quote Post
vagranttimelord
post Dec 13 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,771

I agree on this crusade, i would love to see a book dedicated to maps for all those places that only the 2060's provide.

Magical research facility
Biotech research
Cyberware clinic
Bioware clinic
Lone Star station

And even the normal places like bars or clubs... maybe some obscure places too.

Any and all would be good.

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Dec 13 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

I have created full maps of a research facility in the Shadowrun Missions adventure FORCEd RECON. Just go to the Shadowrun website and download the Playing Aids package. I even have maps for different levels of recon, including overhead drones and astral. If you want more detail, you have to download the adventure too...

haven't had anyone ask for a junkyard before, but i have one of those - with a large circular area in the center for an ambush...er, meeting spot....

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Dec 14 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Well, with a Junkyard, you can have what's in what area, including squatter nests and such.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Walknuki
post Dec 14 2004, 03:23 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,869

In the the spirit of this topic, what are some good map making programs?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 14 2004, 03:41 AM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

AutoCAD is decent. Vectorworks also works nicely, and has a lot of pre-made furniture templates.

~J

+Quote Post
Rock-Steady
post Dec 14 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 1,934

QUOTE (JaronK)
high security prison

I can help you with that. Made one myself with MS Visio.

Here you find the tool to view them.

Visio Viewer

Its in german, but im sure there is an english version out there.

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Dec 14 2004, 03:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

i like Visio - but as it was discussed on previous threads, the $300+ price tag is high...

very easy to use basic functions though, drag-n-drop, premade objects for a lot of stuff - i used a lot of the vehicles for the junk yard, just stacked them on top of one another. there is also a special template for warehouse process planning, so there are forklifts, cranes, 55-gal drums, wooden palattes, etc. makes warehouses a snap. the rest is for office buildings, and there are keyboards that you can drop for terminals (i just draw a thin rectangle for an LCD monitor), cubicles, coffee machines, etc.

+Quote Post
U_Fester
post Dec 14 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,863

QUOTE (bitrunner)
very easy to use basic functions though, drag-n-drop, premade objects for a lot of stuff

I have to agree with you on this. I use Viso every day at work as well as for personal stuff at home. The greatest thing about visio is the fact that it has a huge library of template items to use for layouts and the such. Want to build a room, then just drag the walls over to your paper, and add then add the doors. It even lets you know the square footage as you design.

The price tag seems a bit high, but compaired to other programs about norm. But the greatest draw is that anyone can use it in just a few minutes.

IMHO

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Dec 14 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

yeah - i was lucky in that as a network admin, it was purchased for me...but i loved it so much i saved up and bought a copy for home...

btw, as mentioned, there are lots of stencil packs that it comes with, so you can do a lot more than just floorplans. you can make matrix maps, road maps, treasure maps, electrical circuits, etc... everything is scaled properly when you drop stuff, and you can do stuff in metric or english.

i just wish there was a company or two that made more stencils!!

i found one once that was awesome - it did crime scenes, and it had drops/trails of blood, butcher knives, cleavers, and a pose-able body that you could even take limbs and the head off! unfortunately, it doesn't work with the newer versions of Visio (it was for version 5)...

sure, you can make your own stencils, but that requires a little more skill, and takes the fun out of the drag-n-drop stuff...

+Quote Post
Thanos007
post Dec 14 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Yeah. Thats all well and good for someone who can spend the 300 :nuyen: on a computer program for a game. But for those of us who don't have such liquid assets it's not much good.

Here's are some more reasons why I particularly wants maps in a book. I draw a map of... oh say an office building. Now technically I'd just draw a lobby and then a standard floor that can be used for any floor. It looks crappy but serviceable. Then I notice no bathrooms. Opps. Oh, forgot a stairwell. And on it goes. It's just a mess. God forbid I try something like a research facility. Because I've never been to one and have no idea what it would be laid out like.

I guess it boils down to not just maps but maps that make sense and are some what realistic.

OHH! A map of a wharf or docs would be pretty snazzy too!

Thanos

P.S. I haven't even begun to address the time issue.

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Dec 14 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

OK, just because i like you guys so much, i've posted a couple of maps and previews for you to download for your personal use...

i have a little of everything, just to show you what kind of stuff i can do, or have access to people that can do it for me...if you would like anything special done, such as maps for a particular building, let me know...

i have:
AK-47 rifle
Albatross Drone
Aztech Quarter street map (around pyramid)
Basement of Huitzilopochtli Plaza (across from pyramid)
Executive Apartment
Computer system for above
Executive Luxury Condo (PC and GM)
Repeater Drone
Luxury Estate (PC and GM, multifloor)
Denny Park map
GMC Bulldog
Engineering Corp facility
Jungle Research Compound
Junkyard
Launch Pad (nightclub)
Mafia Warehouse
Mitsuhama Warehouse
Mitsuhama secret Puyallup facility
Museum
Once Upon A Time (Medieval Theme Park adventure)
Parking Garage
Prairie Cat (mobile cyberware clinic, complete with dead body)
Respirator/Gas Mask
Rigger Hangout/HQ
Salish Map of Luxury Estates (on peninsula west of Puget Sound)
Seattle Center map
Sewer Grid map (of Aztech Pyramid area)
Snohomish farm map
Underground Lab
University Lab
Vinny (dwarf mafia enforcer - PC pic)
Volkswagon Superkombi Transport
Generic Warehouse

all of this can be found at Bitrunner's Shadowrun Stuff

Many of these maps are from adventures - the adventure text has detailed information in some cases on what is in each room, etc. If you're interested in any of this stuff (the adventures, etc), you can send me a PM....

+Quote Post
Thanos007
post Dec 14 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Bit you da' man!!!. This is a great start. If we can't have a book how about a permanent thread in the community projects area? <coff>adam jury<coff>

Don't get me wrong a book would be better but this is a good start.

Thanos

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 14 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

*Gasp* Bit is da man?

DOWN WIT' DA MAN!

~J

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Dec 14 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,768

You know what would be cool.

D&D had this city generator a long time back. It would be great if in this great big book of maps we could have a building generator. One building hardly belongs to one person. What is on the other floors? What if my players just deside to start searching other places? How meny people are in this place, what does the news report say the death count is when the players blow the place up?

Well I would think it was cool.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 14 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #23

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

If you're morally flexible you can find Visio at suprnova....

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 14 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

If you're morally flexible you can also get more powerful programs, so that's neither here nor there.

~J

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Dec 14 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Kagetenshi, thanks for the love, omae! :)

I created an office bulding called Huitzilopochtli Plaza that is owned/operated by Aztechnology and is across the street from the pyramid - they lease out the office space, and it includes apartments for executives as well. i at least did a breakdown of the floors and which elevators go to which floors...that would be a start i think...if anyone wants it...

btw, i did take a look at some software that they had at Gencon Indy that was for creating nice maps, and they said they were working on a sci-fi pack that would work for Shadowrun...i'll have to find the brochure and check up on them...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.