Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

The Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

White Wolf, Inc.
1554 Litton Drive, Stone Mountain, GA 30083
404-292-1819 (voice); 678-382-3883 (fax)
http://www.white-wolf.com/

WHITE WOLF, INC. and author NANCY A. COLLINS sue SONY PICTURES, SCREEN GEMS and LAKESHORE ENTERTAINMENT for "Underworld" copyright infringement

Atlanta, GA, 5 September 2003—White Wolf, Inc. and Nancy A. Collins yesterday filed suit in US District court in Atlanta, Georgia against defendants Sony Pictures, Screen Gems and Lakeshore Entertainment, alleging 17 counts of copyright infringement for the film Underworld, set for release on September 19. White Wolf alleges that Underworld characters, theme and setting are based on White Wolf’s award winning games Vampire: The Masquerade® and Werewolf: The Apocalypse™, both set in White Wolf’s fictional World of Darkness®.  Further, Collins alleges that Underworld’s script is based on her 1994 story Love of Monsters, published by White Wolf and also set in the World of Darkness.

Plaintiffs claim over 60 points of unique similarity between Underworld and their work.  "Ours is a huge fictional world, supported by over 200 volumes of fictional material," asserts Mike Tinney, White Wolf’s President. "It’s infuriating to see Underworld’s script riddled with our property." Plaintiffs also claim that Underworld’s entire plot is based on Collins’ short story Love of Monsters. "Apparently they are marketing this as a remake of Romeo and Juliet," comments Collins. "What I think they really mean is that it’s an on-screen adaptation of my story." 

White Wolf and Collins are seeking immediate injunctive relief and damages. "The volume of confusion in our marketplace is amazing," observes Tinney, "our fans think they’re going to be seeing our film. Of course, if the movie gets released, in a way they will be."

Please direct press inquiries to:
for White Wolf: R. Schaeffer, 404-292-1819 x200
for Collins: Pamela Koslyn, 310-271-1833; or Nancy A. Collins, 678-637-2407

#          #            #

Since its entry into the roleplaying game market in 1991, White Wolf Publishing, Inc. has grown, maintaining an average market share of 26%. With collective book sales in excess of 5.5 million copies during this time, White Wolf is one of two undisputed worldwide publishing leaders for pen and paper roleplaying games. White Wolf properties have been licensed to television series, comic books, action figures, professional wrestlers, a myriad of merchandising, replica props and weapons, interactive media events, coin operated arcade games and, of course, video games. More information on White Wolf can be found at www.white-wolf.com .

Nancy A. Collins is the author of several novels and numerous short stories, and is perhaps best known for her popular character Sonja Blue, a vampire/vampire-hunter who most recently appeared in the novel Darkest Heart  and the collection Dead Roses for a Blue Lady. A recipient of the Horror Writers Association's Bram Stoker Award, The British Fantasy Society's Icarus Award, and the Deathrealm Award, as well as a nominee for the Eisner, World Fantasy, and International Horror Guild Awards, Collins’ works include Knuckles and Tales, Sunglasses After Dark and Avenue X.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boondocker
post Sep 6 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,205

I was wondering about the connection between this movie and White Wolf. Interesting story... I hope the gaming company wins (if their case has merit).

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Sep 6 2003, 12:21 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

I had a feeling the movie and the World of Darkenss were similar, but i had no idea that someone had written a similar fictional story.

I hope White Wolf and Collins wins if they are indeed right.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 6 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Unfortunately, copyright laws being what they are, their chances of winning are damn small (about the same as Wizkids suing the guys that make the Matrix movies), unless of course it's proven that the story really is derived from Collins' screenplay.

+Quote Post
Teknobabel
post Sep 6 2003, 06:41 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 1,294

I reckon they've a chance, I mean JK Rowling successfully sued over a similar book in russia, she's written 6 books and made that stick, white wolf have written a lot more than that.

Harry Potter and The International Order Of Copyright

Assuming that america is wto compliant, seems a fair comparison between the two cases.

+Quote Post
White Knight
post Sep 6 2003, 07:21 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 195

Does anyone have information on what these "60 points of unique similarity" actually are?

At the moment I remain extremely skeptical of this case's merit. A supernatural twist on the old Romeo and Juliet plot (with added tight black PVC) is hardly a difficult plot to come up with. I expect it's been done innumerable times already. I can't see any exclusively White Wolf elements from what I know of the movie to date. Not without those details anyway.

+Quote Post
Ronin Soul
post Sep 6 2003, 11:50 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,505

QUOTE (White Knight)
Does anyone have information on what these "60 points of unique similarity" actually are?

At the moment I remain extremely skeptical of this case's merit. A supernatural twist on the old Romeo and Juliet plot (with added tight black PVC) is hardly a difficult plot to come up with. I expect it's been done innumerable times already. I can't see any exclusively White Wolf elements from what I know of the movie to date. Not without those details anyway.

I may be wrong but if I recall from a similar thread on the White Wolf forums a while ago, one of the main sticking points was with the Vampire houses and Werewolf "tribes" or whatever they're called in Underworld. One of the big problems was that these are almost identical to the ones in V: tM and W:tA (in other words, a group of sorcerous vampires, a group of crazy ones etc.). IN addition a lot of powers displayed by the vampires and werewolves are similar.

I may be wrong though. It was a long time the thread was and at that stage the word was White Wolf wasn't going to sue. I want to know what changed their mind.

I personally hope it doesn't succeed. Not wanting to start a flame war but my personal opinion on copyright laws are that they're a little excessive.

In this case, how cares if they're similar? Neither company is losing money as it is and it might even boost sales in White Wolf stuff if the movie's a hit.

+Quote Post
MojoPin
post Sep 6 2003, 11:53 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 2,333

Well, the Trailer screams "WHITE WOLF" something fierce anyway. :eek:

+Quote Post
MojoPin
post Sep 6 2003, 11:57 AM
Post #9

Target

In this case, how cares if they're similar? Neither company is losing money as it is and it might even boost sales in White Wolf stuff if the movie's a hit.

That's not the point. Sony is using work done by White Wolf (fictional universe development) without remunerating them. That's theft, pure and simple.

+Quote Post
Ronin Soul
post Sep 6 2003, 12:02 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (MojoPin @ Sep 6 2003, 09:57 PM)

That's not the point. Sony is using work done by White Wolf (fictional universe development) without remunerating them. That's theft, pure and simple.

It hasn't been proven.

And besides, similarities within a genre that White Wolf is huge in is to be expected. What's important is whether the work is derived from White Wolf or simply similar (through coincidence). ANd that is, IMO impossible to prove either way.
And that's why I think it's stupid.

For example: A world with werewolves and vampires fighting each other? Is that a breach of copyright? A love story between a vampire and werewolf or any other supernatural species... it's been done... several hundred thousand times.

Seriously, we need to see exactly what the alleged copied material is before we judge either way.

But like I said IMO.

+Quote Post
MojoPin
post Sep 6 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #11

Target

For example: A world with werewolves and vampires fighting each other? Is that a breach of copyright? A love story between a vampire and werewolf or any other supernatural species... it's been done... several hundred thousand times

Really? I take some pride in believing I have a rather solid culture in fantasy, but from the top of my head, right now, I can't think of even one other example, except maybe Laurell Hamilton's novels. And even they don't have the similarity that is obvious between Undeworld and the World of Darkness.

+Quote Post
Ronin Soul
post Sep 6 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (MojoPin @ Sep 6 2003, 10:19 PM)
For example: A world with werewolves and vampires fighting each other? Is that a breach of copyright? A love story between a vampire and werewolf or any other supernatural species... it's been done... several hundred thousand times

Really? I take some pride in believing I have a rather solid culture in fantasy, but from the top of my head, right now, I can't think of even one other example, except maybe Laurell Hamilton's novels. And even they don't have the similarity that is obvious between Undeworld and the World of Darkness.

could you please name some similiarities between Underworld and White Wolf? Solid ones?

Not things like Vampires being "clans" or the Lycans also being called "Garou". That's not copyright breacking stuff to the best of my knowledge (or the knowledge of the folks on the White Wolf board).

I'm not trying to creat an argument. I'm just genuinely curious. Initial impressions at least to me indicate that this is a movie influenced by the Matrix and gothy supernatural stuff (like the Crow or even Batman).

Seriously, I don't know enough about this to make a judgement either way. The 17 points of infringement I still don't know of, but initial impressions are that they must be pretty major things (like a group of vampires in Underworld being called Malkavians or vampires descending from Caine). If that is the case then I'm on White Wolf's side. If it isn't the case, well, I'll just stay out of it :D

+Quote Post
MojoPin
post Sep 6 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #13

Target

Fair enough. It does have graphic links to the Crow and Matrix too. However the whole Vampire/Werewolves conflict is trademarked "White Wolf" in my mind. Maybe I'm just prejudiced here. I don't think anyone had done it before.
In most of the fantasy culture, Vampires are solitary. Even Anne Rice's Vampires only mingle from time to time. The idea of vampires as clanned creatures is really something recent, and I belive it came from White Wolf's take on the myth.
Similarity here is in the global, not the detail. A little like the first book in the Shannara series was en obvious cut and paste from LOTR with only the details changed.

+Quote Post
Atrox
post Sep 6 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,350

QUOTE (Ronin Soul @ Sep 6 2003, 12:25 PM)
I'm not trying to creat an argument. I'm just genuinely curious. Initial impressions at least to me indicate that this is a movie influenced by the Matrix and gothy supernatural stuff (like the Crow or even Batman).

Actually, from the trailer I'd call the movie influenced by Matrix (for the slo-mo scenes) and heavily influenced by the World of Darkness. Whether that influence crosses the line into copyright infringement is another issue.

To me, just from the trailer I couldn't help but think I was watching a WoD movie. Of course, without having seen the entire movie, I can't really judge that.

+Quote Post
Ronin Soul
post Sep 6 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (MojoPin @ Sep 6 2003, 10:38 PM)
Fair enough. It does have graphic links to the Crow and Matrix too. However the whole Vampire/Werewolves conflict is trademarked "White Wolf" in my mind. Maybe I'm just prejudiced here. I don't think anyone had done it before.
In most of the fantasy culture, Vampires are solitary. Even Anne Rice's Vampires only mingle from time to time. The idea of vampires as clanned creatures is really something recent, and I belive it came from White Wolf's take on the myth.
Similarity here is in the global, not the detail. A little like the first book in the Shannara series was en obvious cut and paste from LOTR with only the details changed.

I hate the Shannara series :)

Now we see how tricky this can be. Seriously.

Vampire/Werewolf conflict is practically anti-White Wolf IMO, as is Werewolves as urban predators. The first is against the habit of avoiding cross overs and the second is so far against Werewolves as Amerindian-like defenders of nature I don't know where to begin.
My point with that is that all this is based upon personal opinion or instinctively saying "White Wolf has dealt with the gothic supernatural for years, therefore they're right. Go White Wolf"
Until we know the exact details of what these 60 points of infringement are and how they tie in with the WoD and by the sounds of it, the works of the author in question (a vampiric vampire hunter. Now that's original :D ) I suggest that any judgements made cannot hold any real merit.

(Serious question: Does thhe innocent until proven guilty thing apply in copyright laws? Or is it more confusing?)

+Quote Post
Atrox
post Sep 6 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,350

I'm having a few friends over later today. Both play WoD, so I'll show them the trailer without telling them anything about this dispute. I suggest trying the same experiment.

That way, we may actually get a consensus.

+Quote Post
MojoPin
post Sep 6 2003, 02:01 PM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (Atrox)
Actually, from the trailer I'd call the movie influenced by Matrix (for the slo-mo scenes).

*Koff*John Woo*koff*

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 6 2003, 02:06 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

None of you paid any attention to what I said, did you?

+Quote Post
Hot Wheels
post Sep 6 2003, 02:20 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,470

From what I've seen about this movie, it was so obviously drawn from WW that I thought Sony had paid for the rights.
Sony has a reputation of playing fast and loose, remmeber last year they were caught out makingg up reviewers for it's movies and got called for, among other things, false advertising and using an actual critic's name without his approval.

+Quote Post
Guest_Raccoon Avatar_*
post Sep 6 2003, 02:41 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Ancient History)
None of you paid any attention to what I said, did you?

Sure we did.
It was...um... something about werewolves :?
Yup...very insightful I thought...

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Sep 6 2003, 02:51 PM
Post #21

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Even is WW doesn't win, it's damn good publicity for them. Some kid goes see this movie, and comes out thinkining that is the coolest thing EVER. Then he remembers the whole lawsuit thing he saw in the news... Which teaches him he can play a game very similar to what he just saw.

And if they win, WW gets large amounts of movie money AND exposure. There's no reason why they wouldn't sue.

Besides, the first time I saw the comercial for this movie, I looked for WW credits somewhere in the movie text thing and on the website, and I was surprised not to see any. In my mind, this movie is a rip-off. Hell, it was filmed in 4 months. They had to cut corners *somewhere*.

+Quote Post
Hot Wheels
post Sep 6 2003, 04:17 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,470

It might be that Sony had no clue there was an RPG , some screen writer ripped off the game and handed it to Sony as his own work. They should have done due dilligence, but probably the whole thing was slapped together, hoping to get it out for Halloween. They probably are getting ready to kill the person who green lighted this.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 6 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

It's still VERY iffy about whether or not this will fly. I dinnae think WW has much of a case.

That said, there's been a rash of low-budget CGI-effect direct-to-DVD horror flicks 'round about, haven't there?

+Quote Post
motorfirebox
post Sep 6 2003, 04:45 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,478

blade's vampires had clans, and wetworks vampires fought werewolves. the idea that white wolf somehow has a monopoly on the supernatural is ludicrous.

'course, most of the WoD players i've met were gothfuck losers, so that may be coloring my opinion against white wolf.

+Quote Post
Buzzed
post Sep 6 2003, 05:00 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,782

Interresting, they have about 800 individual sightings on a map of the world describing seperate Vampire and Lycan cells. This is on the website. Talk about a substantial background of the script. It almost looks like they create a whole roleplaying game setting just for the movie before they even wrote the script.

LOL. Nm. Its just a place where visiters to the site can add to it themselves. Wow am I an idiot. Check out the North Pole. :love:

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:14 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.