IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weapon question, Non-SL system for tracking ammo load...
Foreigner
post Dec 26 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,630

Hoi, Chummers!

I have a quick question:

My character is an Adept of the Magician's Way, and a follower of the Silent Way as far as his Adept powers are concerned, and I want to avoid any form of cyberware or bioware, if at all possible.

Is there a NON-Smartlink means of determining, either by visual or tactile means, how many cartridges, and their type, remain in a weapon's magazine or clip?

I'm aware of such items as Smartgoggles and Smartscopes, but I'm not certain if they're canonical, strictly speaking, and I was wondering if there were others.

The main reason that I'm asking is because, IRL, my short-term memory is rather poor. It's a long story; in a nutshell, I had some sort of infection just before I turned twelve (I'll be 41 in May)--some form of meningitis or encephalitis, I believe--and as a result, I have difficulty recalling some things. I can remember what I was doing up to an hour ago, or late yesterday, but in-between, I'm kind of hazy.

I know that I could always ask the GM to keep track, but I was wondering

As always, thanks for any input. :)

P.S.--I hope that you all had an enjoyable Christmas. and will have a happy New Year.

--Foreigner
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 26 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

smartgoggles do that, in canon.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Dec 26 2004, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Thanks, mfb. :)

I thought as much, but I wanted to be absolutely certain before trying anything in a campaign.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Shrapnel
post Dec 26 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,852

In the SR2 Rulebook, it says:

...A digital ammunition counter is standard.  The readout usually appears on the rear sight, where the user can see it when firing.

Yeah, I know... I'm still stuck in SR2... :(

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Dec 26 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

The 3rd edition reference is on pg 276, right column, second paragaraph, last two sentences.

In either case, a digital ammunition counter is standard equipment.  The readout usually appears on the rear sight, where the user can see it when firing.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 27 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

In RL most clips have a scale on the side-5....10 with a whole next to them. If you see a bullet at the 5 hole and it's blank at the 10, it gives you a rough idea. Revolvers, no, and while it takes a little longer to open it and check the cylinders, I think that's better than looking at the front of the cylinders for slugs, since that means the barrell is aimed between your own eyes to do that.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Dec 27 2004, 03:37 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Also, a lot of new AR magazines are made out of translucent plastic, since the holes (described above) can be kind of hard to see. For any internal magazine there's no simple way of checking the ammunition. Revolvers, the same. Also, and weapon that the magazine is fully enclosed by the grip (i.e. most pistols) will be hard to check. But most assault rifles, shotguns with box magazines, and so one can be checkd at a glance.

+Quote Post
Kayne
post Dec 27 2004, 08:03 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,541

You call yourself a runner? You should be able to count the shots! :D

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Dec 27 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

<SIGH>

ANOTHER fragging comedian....

There's one in every crowd. :rotfl:

Just kidding, Kayne. ;)

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Dec 31 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

I have another question related to my earlier one:

As I understand it, Smartgoggles normally allow the wearer to see only under normal lighting conditions.

Assuming that it hasn't already been done, would it be possible--and more importantly, legal under the rules-- to modify them to see by other means as well?

That is, Low-Light, Thermographic, and Ultrasound, if not some combination thereof?

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Dec 31 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #11

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Yes yes and yes. And I presonaly prefer smart shades, but at 7k before modifications, they are bloody expensive.
IIRC, Smart Shades 2, w/ LL & thrmo rull run you 11k. MM pg 32-33.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Dec 31 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Thanks, Lindt. :)

Sorry, but I don't have MAN & MACHINE at present.

By "smart shades", do you mean something a bit less, um, obvious than Smartgoggles?

I have a sudden mental image of a VERY high-tech-appearing set of wrap-around sunglasses (a 2060s version of "Gargoyles", perhaps? :D )--however, that would fit my character's image pretty well, I think, considering that he's pretty much based upon the quintessential Hollyweird (yes, that misspelling is intentional) international assassin character (think THE DAY OF THE JACKAL and THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR), most of whom wear some form of dark glasses when out in public to avoid recognition.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Jan 3 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Another option would be a digital readout on the gun itself. By using a simple switch triggered whenever a new bullet enters the chamber, one can accurately determine how much is left in the clip and use a simple circut to count the number of bullets used and subtract it from the amount normally found in a clip. Such an addition would only cost a hundred Nuyen or so, and would have nearly no effect at all on concealibilty for larger weapons (SMG's and up), while reducing it by 1 for most handguns. (Anything with a Concealability less than 6 should be exempt from this rulel).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 3 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

As was mentioned earlier, a digital readout is standard on all (or at least most) firearms in Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 3 2005, 01:11 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Fortune)
As was mentioned earlier, a digital readout is standard on all (or at least most) firearms in Shadowrun.

The "most" probably refers to things like breach loaded weapons, or odd/special ones like bracelet guns, blowguns, or things of that nature.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 3 2005, 01:16 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I only added the 'most' in case someone brought up things like that. :D

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 3 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, most likely the counting sensor would have to be in the clip rather then in the gun, on the edge of the clip would be some small contacts that hook the system up to the display in the gun. clips are feed useing a spring pushin up yes? can one measure how far that sping have traveld? and if so based on the size of each round one can then calculate how many is left?

this way it allso allows for scenarios like when someone pops the clip out and tops it off (may happen in a drawn out siege or similar) or just removes it and reinserts it to check that everything is working ok without zeroing out the count.

hmm, with a small battery, a way to measure how far the spring have traveld and a chip to do the math and send the correct signals of to the display (and this can be a simple diode number display similar to what is used on cheap video recorders to display time) and on is off.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Jan 3 2005, 04:54 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

It's probably even simpler than that. When it's manufactured, a clip can hold X rounds maximum, and that's never going to change. Nothing has to be calculated, since at what point the clip holds X, eight, or one round is known at manufacture.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jan 3 2005, 04:57 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

hobgoblin:

Your post reminded me of something I read about 20 years ago.

A company that designed cutting-edge firearms accessories had built a highly modified SIG-Sauer P-229--for those of you who aren't familiar with it, this is an 11-shot (12 with the chamber loaded) 9mm Parabellum ("Luger") double action semiautomatic pistol, built as a joint venture between SIG, a Swiss weapons conglomerate, and J.P. Sauer and Son, a German armsmaker.

The weapons system built around it had what was, essentially, a computerized fire-control system built into a highly modified suppressor attached to the front end of the pistol's slide--the device was so large and heavy that simply attaching it to the end of the barrel wouldn't provide the necessary support.

In addition to being fitted with a laser sight (both visble and infrared) and a miniature flashlight (with the same qualities as the laser unit), the pistol was fitted with a miniature computer system that could automatically keep track of the number and type of cartridges--full metal jacketed, hollow point, or what-have-you--simply by programming the information into the computer, either before or after loading the weapon. (I'm not certain how the counter worked, unless there was a sensor interface between the magazine and the pistol.)

The whole system was controlled via a small panel built into the left-side grip panel, as the prototype weapon was designed for use by a right-handed person.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jan 3 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
It's probably even simpler than that. When it's manufactured, a clip can hold X rounds maximum, and that's never going to change. Nothing has to be calculated, since at what point the clip holds X, eight, or one round is known at manufacture.

Actually, that can change pretty easily. Extended mags, anyone?

+Quote Post
Oro
post Jan 3 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 6,922

first off: in real life you normally dont load a clip or mag to full capacity, it wares the springs in the clip/mag out too fast and when the spring loses its "push" the gun will jam.

second: if youre good, and i know some who are, you can determine whether you are "full" or "empty" just by the weight and balance of a pistol, but not exactly how many rounds are left. in a light pistol that fires heavy rounds like a normal military issue 9mm then its pretty easy to feel, hell, even i can but i spent many watches with a 9mm in the navy and am expert qualified in pistols and rifles. its all about the ratio of weight of rounds to weight of gun.

if you have, id say, 2 ranks in pistol and specialized then you should be able to tell.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jan 3 2005, 07:14 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Oro)
first off: in real life you normally dont load a clip or mag to full capacity, it wares the springs in the clip/mag out too fast and when the spring loses its "push" the gun will jam.

That depends heavily on the quality of the magazine and the weapon, and varies wildly. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone advising underloading a 1911. An M9, on the other hand...

+Quote Post
Oro
post Jan 3 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #23

Target

in 1911 the revolver was hot stuff, well, still used anyway, and who would underload a revolver?

the more rounds that CAN be loaded into the mag/clip the better chance that underloading is a good idea cause the spring has a greater distance to travel. ie:
i underload an AK47 and fully load a 30 oght 6

+Quote Post
Oro
post Jan 3 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #24

Target

oops, you wrote a 1911, not in 1911

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Jan 3 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Jan 2 2005, 11:54 PM)
It's probably even simpler than that.  When it's manufactured, a clip can hold X rounds maximum, and that's never going to change.  Nothing has to be calculated, since at what point the clip holds X, eight, or one round is known at manufacture.

Actually, that can change pretty easily. Extended mags, anyone?

That doesn't change anything. The counting mechanism is contained within the clip, so whatever sized clip you use, the readout can count that many bullets. This works whether the readout is on the gun, of the side/base/whatever of the clip.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.