IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amazon.com sucks - No SOTA:2064, where's my stuff, dammit?
Just Pete
post Dec 28 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 582

I just love Christmas - I get all sorts of things I want.

Last year, I got several gift certificates to Amazon.com. They had a pre-order set up for SOTA 2064, so I placed my order in February.

Of course, the release date got pushed back. No problem, I knew I'd get it when it came out.

SOTA 2064 was released in September, hitting the stores in October. I waited a couple weeks, then sent an email to Amazon, asking for my stuff. I got a form letter reply, saying that the book was back-ordered, and pushed out the expected delivery date. How the hell can a pre-order be backordered? This was October - new delivery date mid-November.

At the end of the delivery estimate in November, I sent another email, asking for an update. This time, I got the back-order form letter with an extension saying that there was a system glitch that prevented the updated delivery date (mid-December) from showing on my account.

A week after the new delivery date ended, I sent another email, and got another form letter. New delivery estimate is in Mid-January, but they can't confirm that because they couldn't get any re-supply info from their distributors.

Frankly, I'm more than a little pissed at this situation. I really want the book, and I really want to use this gift certificate for it, as there's nothing else I want to use it on. Amazon.com has only one contact source that I can find on their site, and every time I use it a get a form letter. Anyone know of any other routes?

Also, can anyone confirm the distribution problems that Amazon is using as an excuse? I couldn't find anything on shadowrunrpg.com, or Fast Forward's site.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Dec 28 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Guests

You should cancel your order with Amazon, buy it from Stiggybaby (only 10 days from ordering to in-hand), and use your gift certificates to buy something else on Amazon, like maybe a bbq grill. Or a Segway.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Dec 28 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Just Pete:

Try Lone Star Comics.

While they're primarily a comic book retailer, they do have quite a bit of RPG-related stuff, including SHADOWRUN.

Also, they're almost always on time. I placed my last order with them on December 12th, and received notice of shipment late last Monday, December 20th. My order--which included copies of STATE OF THE ART: 2064 and RIGGER 3 REVISED-- arrived this morning via United Parcel Service Ground Delivery--not too shabby, considering that they're in Arlington, Texas and I'm in Gordonsville, Virginia, as well as the time of year. :)

Good Luck. :)

Crimsondude 2.0, Kagetenshi: I agree. I've done business with Amazon in the past, and their service, while good, was never quite up to their claims.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 28 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Amazon is extremely hit-or-miss. If their previous pattern with me holds, after another delay or two you'll get a message that they weren't able to fulfill your order and that it has been cancelled.

I'm going to second the Stiggybaby recommendation.

~J

+Quote Post
Traks
post Dec 31 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

Minus with Stiggybaby - my country isn't in list, while both neighbours are.
And, couldn't find the price of transportation so I could compare all in all with Amazon. This time my money goes to Amazon.

And I also ordered SOTA 2064, among couple of other books. Received nice bonus at the end of the year, and where I spend it? I really should be more accurate with budget :)

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Jan 1 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

I ordered it from Barnes and Noble.com, and had them send it to a friend as a Christmas present (in the U.S). Three days after I placed the order, they had it in their hands.

+Quote Post
mattness pl
post Feb 18 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,342

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
You should cancel your order with Amazon, buy it from Stiggybaby (only 10 days from ordering to in-hand), and use your gift certificates to buy something else on Amazon, like maybe a bbq grill. Or a Segway.

We're mading a contest to promote our site. I've decided for Ral Partha figures and I want to buy them on stiggybaby. But I don't know how to do that - I never bought anything via Internet. Even in polish. Could you tell me, what I must do? And in what form I must pay? How much money will I pay for shipping to Poland

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Feb 18 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Yeah, Amazon's no longer as reliable as they once were. Back when the dot.com crash was in full swing, Amazon realized it had to pull a profit sometime. So it closed a ton of warehouses; which means that many books it used to regularly have on-hand, they no longer have. They've tried to make up for it by being the "face" for many third-party online retailers, but that's still hit-or-miss.

+Quote Post
U_Fester
post Feb 18 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,863

QUOTE (mattness pl)
We're mading a contest to promote our site. I've decided for Ral Partha figures and I want to buy them on stiggybaby. But I don't know how to do that - I never bought anything via Internet. Even in polish. Could you tell me, what I must do? And in what form I must pay? How much money will I pay for shipping to Poland

1: You need to see if your country is on the list to ship to.

2: (assuming you are on the list) for each item you wish to order, click the add to cart button.

3: After you have completed your selections click the Checkout link in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

4: Fill out the information for Shipping and Billing.

5: Select Mail and Payment choices

6: Fill out the Payment information.

7: Wait by the mailbox for goodies to come in.

Hope this helps :D

+Quote Post
shadow_scholar
post Feb 18 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,059

I ordered from Stiggybaby once and had a great experience with them. I ordered about $30 worth of SR minis and just paid for regular ground postage. The transaction took place on a Thursday, and by Saturday I got an email saying they upgraded the postage to Priority for free and the order was sent out, by Monday night I had it in my hands. Pretty good if you ask me, they'll definitely get my service next time I'm looking for gaming stuff.

+Quote Post
kryton
post Feb 18 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,874

Lone Star Comics is Awsome. They're a chain out of Dallas, TX. I've been getting my SR stuff there (before moving to Boston) since 1990 and 1st. edition. They carry many of the Iron Wind Metal minis as well. They rock! The biggest store is in Arlington TX. (Lonestar also has a great selection of Reaper Minis as well. I love Reapers different monsters. They're reasonably priced and huge. There's nothing like pulling out an elemental that's two figures high to scare the willies out of runners. The usual comment is that's a "what force elemental"?)

Stiggybaby’s is also really cool. They tend to have everything you could want. I’ve ordered lots of books from them and shipping has always been top notch. I’d give them another thumbs up. They’re laid back and have a huge out of print section that blows most EBAY auctions out of the water. Otherwise Lonestar Comics is definitely legit. I’d go with either.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Feb 18 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

Wow, that brings back memories. Lone Star was my comic shop of choice years back when I lived in the D/FW area. I didn't know they'd done so well in business to have expanded this much.

+Quote Post
mattness pl
post Feb 18 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,342

Stiggybaby - 21.50$ transport cost outside States :(
I'm out. I must think out something else :/

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 18 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Try to find some more people so you can share the postage costs between them. Makes it much cheaper.
We`ve done so and ordered stuff for about 800$ with 25 or so people. So nobody had to pay much postage. And using paypal, it is very easy.
Here in germany every three or four month people are placing posts at forums, looking for other people to buy at stiggybaby. And they alwasy find some willing to do so.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Feb 19 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

I wish Stiggybaby shipped to Uruguay... :(

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Feb 19 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

Amazon is great for anything that shows shipping in less than a week.

Never, ever, ever pre-order. Anything. It always gets screwed up.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 19 2005, 08:50 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Interesting - amazon.co.uk have, on the other hand, been very good even with preorders.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 19 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #18

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

They suck in pre-orders at germany too.

+Quote Post
DarusGrey
post Feb 19 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #19

Financial Adept

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,682

I dislike amazon alot.

They listed they had SR 3rd edition hardcover for $40... obviously I jumped on that, ordered.

Waited 4 damn months for it to arrive, when it finally does, its the standard softcover one , I was livid, I sent it back and they refused to refund the $ I paid for shipping me the wrong product.

Refused to do business with them since.

+Quote Post
Raife
post Feb 19 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,400

My local Barnes & Nobled ordered mine for me, shipped it to my house (from their store) for free. I got it in just 4 days too, I was pretty happy with the service.

Try www.barnes&noble.com

+Quote Post
cracky
post Feb 19 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 7,010

Their preorder system is always retarded. I've had multiple instances of problems with preorders, but not as much with regular orders.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.