Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your hometown in the Sixth world...
Solstice
post Jan 14 2005, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,960

Has anyone ever ran a game or had a run based in their hometown? If so what was it like? Did you portray it as a unoccupied wasteland? Has it been assimilated into the sprawl of a bigger city? Is it in the NAN? I'm thinking of using my hometown in 2064 as the scene of a run since it would be cool to feel and see my players reactions to my vision of what the place will be like 60 years from now and possibly creep them out a bit. Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Jan 14 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,712

heh... mine's Seattle.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 14 2005, 06:19 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

How close to the Seattle area are the sourcebooks, would you say?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 14 2005, 06:20 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

While not as well-covered as Seattle, Boston has been fairly well-covered on the overview level. I'd probably keep canon and mix in some local flavour for the small stuff.

~J

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 14 2005, 06:22 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Sadly, according to the novel Steel Rain, my home of Long Island is a yakuza resort for all the Japanicorps sararimen. I usually have my runs take place either in Seattle or New York City.

+Quote Post
Perssek
post Jan 14 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,968

Funny thing:

Iīm a brazilian, so it means that my country (Brazil, for those geographically-challenged), in SR, is now know as Amazonia, and thereīs less than a paragraph about it in ALL the SR books that I could put my hands into. So, in my second SR campaign, I decided to make an Amazonian adventure, with my own view of what that little paragraph gave to me.

I used my own town (itīs called Natal, that means Christmas, because of its fundation date), but called it Nassau (because of the Duke of Nassau, who was the city governor when the dutches conquested it from the portuguese in the XVII century, and renamed the city New Amsterdam), and made it a seaside industrial nightmare. I kept the general city layout, but changed some street and neighborhood names and made it full of metahumans (specially orks and goblins - no, not the goblins in SR3, but some other we invented).

It was funny, for a while. The campaign laid waste to a great part of the city, while the players had fun destroying the places they most abhorred in our little town.

+Quote Post
Mr.Sinister
post Jan 14 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 6,961

Minnesota would be in the UCAS, but I'm not aware of anything spectacular happening here, like a "bug city" or anything.

Has anyone come across any sourcebooks for Minneapols or the surrounding area? Maybe that would be a good community/fanbook project of one doesn't exist.

+Quote Post
Aes
post Jan 14 2005, 07:32 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

That'd be rather difficult, seeing as my hometown is covered under several layers of radioactive sludge in 2064 according to SR :P

+Quote Post
Mr.Sinister
post Jan 14 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,961

Aes, that sig is funny as hell! :)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 14 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Mr.Sinister)
Has anyone come across any sourcebooks for Minneapols or the surrounding area? Maybe that would be a good community/fanbook project of one doesn't exist.

This site might be of interest.

+Quote Post
Nemo
post Jan 14 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 2,102

To play in a Proteus Acrology (Wilhelmshaven) in the middle of the toxic North Sea would be an interesting Plot, but my actual gaming group was against this idea

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Jan 14 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

I made a hellish new version of Olympia Washington, and put it into it's own anarchist free city. Lots of gangers, but my players visited their old houses, or rather, the corp office in the place of their old houses.

+Quote Post
Adhoc
post Jan 14 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 911

Hometown: Copenhagen, Denmark.

Covered in the chapter about Denmark in Shadows Of Europe.

Some stuff was changed; but they're all described in the book. The biggest event was the arrival of around 1.000.000 million refugess from the easterns part of Denmark: it changed the layout quite a bit.

I have run 2 campaigns in the city and are in the middle of a third and I have a fair deal of excess material that I'd like to put online somewhere. I just don't have the time to make a website.

:wavey:
Adhoc

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 14 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I ran most of the games of my SR group in my home town in SW Finland, but that was all pre-SoE. Haven't run a single game since then. SoE doesn't change much, and some of things it does change I'll probably gloss over (Nokia not Erika, keeping Haaparanta mundane, some of the insignificant details).

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Jan 14 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

I apparently live in a bright and happy land of shiny weird immortal elves who pretend to talk Irish...

I've never gone near using my hometown (Galway, in the west of Ireland) as a setting for Shadowrun...
When I started playing Shadowrun, it was kind of a poor place, and I couldn't imagine the city still being around so long in the future, except as some post-apocalyptic wasteland. Then they started talking about Tir na nOg (and other horrible things)...

I refuse to buy a sourcebook that makes my home country sound like a 1500-sq-mile kindergarten.
[/pet hate] :dead:

+Quote Post
eightball1011
post Jan 14 2005, 01:11 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 6,909

I have used my hometown Opelika, alabama... which is near auburn. The games were fun yet they left a little to be desired because as our town is now, there are no "seattle" type ares.... It was a little difficult to place larger corporations in alabama, however using the same street names made it a little easier.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jan 14 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

As most of you know, my SR character, "The Foreigner", is an English-born assassin of Mediterranean heritage, based upon a little-known Marvel Comics character.

However, IRL, I am an American--a second-generation Virginian. (My family's roots are here--on both sides--but my paternal grandfather was born in North Carolina.) A relative (my great-grandfather's first cousin, I'm told; I suppose that that would make him my first cousin, three or four times removed) rode with Major General James Euell Brown ("Jeb") Stuart's cavalry during the Civil War.

My hometown, Gordonsville, Virginia (incorporated 1815), isn't much to brag about.

It's a relatively small town (population about 3500), about an hour's drive northwest of the capital city, Richmond.

We have two main claims to fame:

(1) A building in town, currently known as "The Exchange Hotel and Museum", was a Civil War-era hotel, and was used as a hospital (by Confederate forces, naturally :) ). I'm told that many of the casualties (from both sides) of battles such as Gettysburg were treated there; and

(2) During the heyday of the railroad passenger business in the 1920s and early 1930s, Gordonsville was known as the fried chicken capital of the world. I'm not certain if that was fact or boasting (I suspect the latter ;) ).

I have a feeling that, unless something changes drastically in the next 50 years, a 'runner team would most likely just pass through my home town.

As for setting a campaign here, I suspect that the 'runners would die of boredom--unless they decided to take over the town, just to see if it were possible to do so. ;)

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 14 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #18

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Hometown: Singapore. Nothing much, except for the MRG, Morgue and some mentions in obscure places.

+Quote Post
Link
post Jan 14 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

In c.2050 my city has a population of 300 000, is a Japanese enclave and is 98% Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Maybe you know of this city voted Humanis' favourite holiday destination?

(BTW I've never run a game here.)

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 14 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I've looked at the Minneapolis/St. Paul link (AKS the Twin Cities Shadow Node) in the past. I think he has done a fantastic job of laying out the city and providing a lot of detailed information on gangs, etc. But I have chosen to run my campaigns here as more of a Corp/NAN area than a containment zone. I chose to expand the 3M, Medtronic, Boston Scientific influence and make the twin cities kind of a medical device testing zone with Lakota/Dakota Sioux influences felt strongly.

I have also chosen to allow a lot of the really grubby dive bars and pool halls to stay in business for the next 60 years so I can have runner bars that I don't need to overly detail to my crew. They have been in the places and I can say, "You go tho the Payne Reliever and meet you Johnson in the strip club, and before you ask nothing has changed except the walls are a little grimier and the bouncers have chrome and tusks."

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 14 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Mines Denver.

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Jan 14 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

my hometown is lawrence, kansas and I never could find any info about it. conversely the city I liive in, New Orleans, has some info on it.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Jan 14 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Live in the Detroit area, run in the Detroit area. Our team loves to soak up all of those big fat Ares contracts.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 14 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #24

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Perssek)
Funny thing:

Iīm a brazilian, so it means that my country (Brazil, for those geographically-challenged), in SR, is now know as Amazonia, and thereīs less than a paragraph about it in ALL the SR books that I could put my hands into. So, in my second SR campaign, I decided to make an Amazonian adventure, with my own view of what that little paragraph gave to me.

I used my own town (itīs called Natal, that means Christmas, because of its fundation date), but called it Nassau (because of the Duke of Nassau, who was the city governor when the dutches conquested it from the portuguese in the XVII century, and renamed the city New Amsterdam), and made it a seaside industrial nightmare. I kept the general city layout, but changed some street and neighborhood names and made it full of metahumans (specially orks and goblins - no, not the goblins in SR3, but some other we invented).

It was funny, for a while. The campaign laid waste to a great part of the city, while the players had fun destroying the places they most abhorred in our little town.

Amazonia will be covered in the upcoming Shadows of South America.

Basically, if you're town isn't in between Rio and Sao Paulo, it doesn't exist anymore. And if it is, it's now part of the biggest Megapole in the world.

I'm interested in the place, and if you're interested I'd like to see your thoughts on it. I had a thread going a while back that you can find here. I'm not part of the Shadows of Latin America crew, so none of this is official and will porbably be contradicted when that book comes out, but until then I like what we had going.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 14 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #25

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Yep, several times (ironically, once by someone who's never even been in the state). There's quite a lot of material on DC, and it's a great place to run. I've had a lot of fun with it.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.