IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anti-Vehicle weapons, Does dikote count?
Canid13
post Jan 17 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,709

Besides AV specific munitions, is there anything else which is AV?

I'm only asking because I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on DS and I think it's been implied in one of the SRM's that dikote counts as anti-vehicle.

I just wanna get this confirmed, cos if that's the case, then I need to watch out.....

dikote is everywhere!! :o(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Dikote most expressly does not count as antivehicular. Everything that does is labeled as such with one exception: underwater, all explosives count as antivehicular.

~J

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jan 17 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 948

If that is the case then my Gilette razor would count as an AV weapon and I pretty much doubt that.

Answer to your question: NO, and NO. And if there is someone who still insists to you that it is so: NO!

In that case it would probably be much cheaper to Dikote bullets (just the actual bullet, not the casing as well) than buying AV ammunition.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Not cheaper, probably, but certainly easier to come by.

~J

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Jan 17 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Well, that's another thing which SRM4 gets wrong then.

Okay, cheers guys.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 17 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

You need to get a solid bronze core for your Dikoted Ancient Ancestral Katana for it to count as AV.

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Jan 17 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Hmm, sounds like I need to come up with some TN mods for enchanting a weapon made of Orichalcum and Depleted Uranium :o)

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 17 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Canid13 @ Jan 17 2005, 12:27 PM)
Hmm, sounds like I need to come up with some TN mods for enchanting a weapon made of Orichalcum and Depleted Uranium :o)

DU would only be a metal of choice for high velocity munitions, where it's self-sharpening properties make it a useful penetrator.

For melee weapons and most bullets, you'll want tungsten, which is a bit denser and a lot stronger than uranium.

(And I said that with a straight face, too.)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 17 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Cray74)
And I said that with a straight face, too.

Quite an achievement, I should say.

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Jan 17 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

True, very true.

But how would orichalcum and tungsten alloy together? Prolly a metalurgical mostrosity, much like orichalcum itself :o)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 17 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Why would you want to alloy them together? If you absolutely must have orichalcum in the weapon itself, you could make most of the handle of it -- a sword blade made out of tungsten (carbide?) will be insanely heavy, so you'll want a lot of weight on the handle as well. A 9kg normal-sized one-hand sword, yay!

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Jan 17 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Yeah, I'm thinking blade and not weapon.

However, the reason I wanna alloy them is so I can get Force 2 Hand Razor weapon foci which count as AV :o)

Seriously, I'm kinda surprised there's nothing which is AV in close combat. I mean, a troll can have STR 16 at Max, add in a halberd or something akin and you've got a damage code of 20D or so. Granted that'll be AV (or close enough) but how about a poor human? He needs slugs - so adepts are kinda screwed if you play the stereotypical 'thwack' adept.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 17 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

*shrug* you just need to get enough dice to jack the power of your attack up. vehicles are notoriously too easy to destroy in SR as it is; i don't think it's really necessary to make an AV melee attack.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 17 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

You don't need orichalcum in the weapon. Orichalcum used in the creation of a focus does help the Enchanting test, but that orichalcum doesn't have to end up in the actual weapon. Or, if your GM gets really anal about the description of Weapon Foci in sr3.191, just put some orichalcum etchings on the shaft. There's absolutely no reason to use an orichalcum alloy for the blades, nor to put orichalcum in the blades in the first place.

QUOTE (Canid13)
Seriously, I'm kinda surprised there's nothing which is AV in close combat.

Why? Vehicle armor is impervious to melee attacks, or at least damn well should be, even against massively strong 3-meter humanoids with polearms. That's what great about 8"+ of rolled homogenous steel or armor composites: it's really fucking strong. It's just impossible to punch through that shit, unless of course you're WALLHACKER!!!!"21211221

If you have doubts, you could try and get into a Nat'l Guard exercise and pit a crowbar, sledgehammer or a sword (even a super-sharp, diamond-coated, tungsten-alloy katana if you've got one) against an M113 and see what happens.

[Edit]Consider these numbers: A STR 7 character with a Katana will be doing 10M, which will penetrate vehicle armor equally well as a Heavy Machinegun firing APDS ammunition (10S). HMGs firing APDS ammunition can penetrate 34mm of RHS armor at 500 meters. Want to try putting a sword through even 10mm of RHS?[/Edit]

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 17 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

indeed. nothing you can do to the blade of a normal sword will make it able to punch through vehicle armor if it's got only the strength of a high-end human behind it. in SR, however, a super-badass with a sword can actually do it, if he's got enough skill. the fact that it's possible at all is enough for me.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 17 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

It only takes at minimum 2 swings. Even if you do 500D, it drops down to 250S. Simply because of the way vehicles stage it down automatically, two swings minimum.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 17 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Canid13)
But how would orichalcum and tungsten alloy together? Prolly a metalurgical mostrosity, much like orichalcum itself :o)

As Austere noted, alloying is not required. Some orichalicum runes along the blade, or an orichicum core, or something like that will do.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 17 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

A rapier point can punch through quire a bit of steel, I don't see why a sword with a stouter blade cannot damage the armor on a vehicle. IMO the hard part would be retrieving the sword once it went into the armor.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 17 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

steel != vehicle armor. how much titanium and hardened ceramic can a rapier punch through? besides which, a rapier--or any other blade--can damage a vehicle, even one with armor. for instance, a guy with 4 skill, 6 Str, and a regular sword can put a serious hurting on an Americar with three or four hits.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 17 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Not much?

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 17 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Too bad the sword doesn't have to make a break check against the armor rating. Game mechanic wise I agree, but the real situation is probably very different.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Tarantula)
It only takes at minimum 2 swings. Even if you do 500D, it drops down to 250S. Simply because of the way vehicles stage it down automatically, two swings minimum.

Vehicle Armor drops the base damage. It can then be subsequently staged up again. As such, the minimum is still one swing.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 17 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #23

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Not vehicle armor, vehicle damage period. But you are right, even unarmored vehicles drop damage level by 1 and half power. So the minimum is in fact one swing, and thats not too hard to get done with most vehicles bodies of 2 or 3.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 17 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #24

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Dikote isn't technically AV, but it goes a long ways towards it by effectively negating the staging down of the damage level

Pg. 122 M&M
"When dikote is used to coat a melee, throwing or projectile weapon, add 1 to the power of any attack made with the treated weapon. If applied to an edged instrument such as a sword, the weapons damage level is also increased by one."

Also, one good use for Orichalcum in a bullet: anchored focus. Sniper round w/ an anchored fireball to go off when it comes into contact w/ blood.Since it's in the person, it's inside the armor. Damn effective fireball bypassing armor (just don't miss).

+Quote Post
iPad
post Jan 17 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,671

I like the idea that a super sonic projectile is more effective vs vehicals than a sword and some welly. Normal guns turn normal cars into swis cheese, I just cant imagen a normal strength person doing that much more than body damage. Doing the maths I think it works well.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.