Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Location of Renraku Arco
AceTachyon
post Jan 17 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,975

New Seattle lists the Renraku Arcology at 1 Renraku Avenue.

Question: where is Renraku Avenue?

Here's my guess: From what I can tell given the info in New Seattle and looking at a present-day map of the city, Renraku Avenue seems to be Alaskan Way; which means the arcology (covering 10 blocks on either side and near the Omnidome at Pier 64) probably sits in the area between Alaskan Way along the waterfront, Broad St (to the northwest), Stewart St (to the southeast), and 8th Ave. (to the northeast), is near the Space Needle (and Seattle Center), and takes over Denny Park.

But that would mean that the Warwick Hotel and Damian's, for example, are inside the arcology.

If you go the other direction, you swallow up hotels (Seattle Hilton and New Square Century, for instance) and some government buildings, (including the Federal Building and Metroplex Hall), not to mention part of I-5.

Can someone clarify the location?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 17 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Its and absraction. Where it is depends on what exists in 2050-2065, not necessarily what is there now. If all the places you mentioned are canon locations, then disregard me as I have no books here.

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Jan 17 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

A little-known fact about the Renraku Arcology Shutdown is that immediately prior to the shutdown, Deus changed the Arcology's address worldwide.

Renraku immediately buried this particular fact in its deepest, darkest Red servers; it is one thing to lose your arcology, but it is an entirely different thing when you cannot find your arcology.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

How many forums are you going to spam with this exact same question? :D

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jan 17 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

The old Seattle SB features a map who precisely show where is the arcology: between Alaskan Way, Yesler Way, 4th Avenue and South King Street.

+Quote Post
AceTachyon
post Jan 17 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #6

Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
How many forums are you going to spam with this exact same question? :D

No spamming meant. Have a run this weekend and since I'm using a present-day map to work from for my players, I figured I'd point out specific places to them. Lend a bit of "authenticity" to our proceedings.

Merely trying to get a lay of the land.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Note the smiley. :)

I added Nath's answer to the Pub thread you started (with full credit ;)).

+Quote Post
AceTachyon
post Jan 17 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (Nath)
The old Seattle SB features a map who precisely show where is the arcology: between Alaskan Way, Yesler Way, 4th Avenue and South King Street.

Thank you. That's the info I was looking for.

Much obliged.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Jan 17 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #9

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

Didn't they extend seattle out into the bay, (pile a bunch of drek into the water, and boom, you've got land)
and build it on that?

I seem to recall seeing a map overlayed over modern seattle, showing the arc half on land, half on the water...

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jan 17 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #10

Guests

The Seattle SB doesn't say so, but it would make sense in terms of walling off part of the sound to make the aquacology farm, hydroponics farm, and the intertal water supply. Besides that, it would allow them to work with fresh infrastructure instead of having to deal with whatever they had to rip up and out when they dug what had to have been one big goddamn hole for the Arc.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 18 2005, 01:04 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

An intresting thought, the hydroponics. Worth thinking about...

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 18 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #12

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Doesn't the Seattle Sourcebook mention that they leveled and expanded Tacoma into the Sound?

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jan 18 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

So if the arcology incorporates part of the sound, then you could potentially infiltrate it via scuba diving.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 18 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Panzergeist)
So if the arcology incorporates part of the sound, then you could potentially infiltrate it via scuba diving.

What, using the cooling ducts for the fusion plants? I imagine, since it has several basements, that the entire section that was once water is landfill.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jan 18 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #15

Guests

Not really. Consider what they did with the WTC (in New York, as there are a lot of buildings called the World Trade Center). They went out into the river, built a retaining wall, pumped out the water, dreged the riverbed for foundation (as opposed to the Pentagon, which was partially made with dirt from the bottom of the Potomac when they ran out of construction materials) and then build your massive arcology on top of what was partly river. With the inclusion of several features designed towards self-sufficiency, they may have moved some of the water in the wet walls until it was contained, which would be easier than pumping god only knows how many gallons of water back into the same space you just evacuated. The water goes to the above-stated measures, plus water for feeding the three fusion reactors in the basement.

In the end there would be intakes into the Sound (which actually might have required two sets of wet walls to construct easily), but:
1) They could be closed off, since that was a selling feature of the Arc that it could be self-sufficient, and
2) they'd be heavily guarded, regardless.

All told, it's not hard to imagine why the project dragged on and was as behind schedule as it was. Massive projects, groundbreaking even, have been done on-time and under budget. This, however, was clearly not one of them.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jan 18 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

From Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, page 86:

Floor B13-B15 - Water filtration and recycling - These levels continue to serve their original purpose under the supervision of the Greens. The massive pipes that flush unrecyclable water into the Puget Sound are one of the few unguarded means of entering the Arcology, if the characters can travel against the current.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jan 18 2005, 04:10 AM
Post #17

Guests

Oops.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jan 18 2005, 05:08 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

So, you would have to use magnetic gloves or pitons or something to pull yourself in. Doesn't mention the parts that take water in, though. I imagine you could use an underwater welder to get through grates, assuming the pipes are big enough for you to enter to begin with, which they probably would be.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 18 2005, 05:10 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

Doesn't mention the parts that take water in, though.

Which, going by the quote, would presumably be guarded as well. Though I have no idea why that would not hold for both directions.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jan 18 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #20

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (AceTachyon)
Question:  where is Renraku Avenue?
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Though I have no idea why that would not hold for both directions.

Maybe they figure that the current is strong enough to stop people getting in the outflow pipes? If it's pumped out under pressure, that coupled with some low level security devices migh be considered enough.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jan 18 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #21

Guests

That coupled with the fact that "unrecyclable water" generally translates into, IMO, a high-speed torrent of liquid shit and toxic waste.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 19 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Fortune)
Note the smiley. :)

I added Nath's answer to the Pub thread you started (with full credit ;)).

Pub thread?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 19 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (kevyn668)
Pub thread?

The Shadowrun Pub.

There is not much in the way of actual shadowrun discussion there though. The core members have all known each other for a few years, and they pretty much make up 98% of the posts with lounge-like chatter and in-jokes.

+Quote Post
Mr. Man
post Jan 19 2005, 06:20 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,015

There's a good PDF street map of downtown here and the rest of Seattle where it came from.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 04:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.