Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic Unchecked
Gyro the Greek S...
post Jan 22 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #141

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,519

Oh no, if I recall he was called "Tongo, Eater of Souls".

'cept, really, he'd eat anything.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jan 22 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #142

Guests

Okay. I'm going to try and answer this one last time because there's something about this whole thread that seems absurd to me, and it's not the existence of the high-powered mage.

QUOTE (ShortBusFury)
Has anyone had any problems with magic characters becoming grossly overpowered in comparison to the non-magic characters at the high-end game (100+ karma)?

No. The high-end mages play a distinct role separate from the team, serving as overwatch and dealing with the biiger threats. However, the rest of the team should be pretty damn dangerous after earning that much karma (and its respective cash) that 100+ karma has turned your mage into an abomination.

This has been my own personal experience with chracters that I have made in the past, but only when initiate grades were involved.

I presume Initiates are involved, but it's been a while since I've seen a starting PC mage.

Gamemasters have tried throwing armored vehicles, great dragons, and anti-magic critters at me often with little or no effect.

The only logical conclusion I can draw from this is that your GM is awful. There are tanks in SR with hardened armor levels that require Naval damage to scratch. There are critters that can drain karma, magic, and wreak havoc with a PC. The best part is that they can be thrown at a mage in waves, or better yet, in a combined arms assault. I've seen a mage with a lot more karma (and with it, experience, Initiate grades, and just sheer power) nearly get killed by a claymore trap because he was distracted by a magical threat.

But that begs its own question: What the hell is the PC doing getting into a fight in the first place?

Finally, great dragons? Plural? What the Hell? GDs have powers that will squash a 100+ karma mage without any trouble. If you beat or outwitted a GD, they were either being magnanimous, or your GM just sucks.

One time I even sat down with a gamemaster and helped him create tactics solely to help him try and kill my character.

That's not a good sign. You should fear your GM, because he should be able to hurt a 100+ karma PC without much trouble.

The ones that could hurt him, couldn't see him.

You contradict yourself below when you say he's an astral beacon. The only effective way to deal with a powerful mage is more magic. It's sad, but true. Accept it, and the world will be a lot easier for everyone involved.

The only effective tactic we came up with seemed to be other spellcasters with a higher initiate grade.

They help, but they are not the only way to give your mage trouble. A PC mage fighting multiple (i.e. around a dozen) high force elementals is going to be a bit distracted when 4 dozen unguided rockets impact their armor spells. Eventually, spells will fail.

He was a beacon in astral space due to all the anchored spells, however there wasn't a single spell on him that was anchored with less than 12 karma, so all the attempts made to take down his buffs were pretty moot as is sense spells would pickup the astral attacks and he would wipe the floor with them while the opponent attacked the spell.

Attack the spells. Fighting a powerful opponent head to head is stupid. It's not advised in RL. Why would it be any different in astral space?

If things got nasty, I'd just pull up a few of my rating 14 elementals I validly rolled for and kept on standby.

Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy choice. They're useful. They are also vulnerable to a physad with a weapon focus.

I stopped playing him around 230+ karma just because it was exceedingly unfair and unfun to my teammates.

Shame. You get a dozen Initiate grades into him, and he'd be a lot more fun to play with.

There were other players that had more karma than I and couldn't hold a candle to my power.

If they're mundanes, then that's not surprising. One of the great things about magic is how powerful a PC can become. It's kind of the point.

Currently, our GM just isn't allowing initate grades, which I agree is a really good tacitc.

No, that's a really lame and pathetically weak tactic by a GM who clearly has no capacity to control his own games.

However it does make it pretty hard to protect your magical gear without initiate masking.

Indeed.

Has anyone else run into similar problems and, if so, did you encounter any positive results against ongoing mage-cheese?

No.

+Quote Post
ShortBusFury
post Jan 22 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #143

Target

Member No.: 6,996

I'll ignore most of your other responses as they were mostly just opinionated down-talk in regards to people and events you have no knowledge of. No offense is taken however, as I would have not put such a question on an online forum if I did not expect to have to wade through said responses. I did like one thing which you mentioned, however:

If they're mundanes, then that's not surprising. One of the great things about magic is how powerful a PC can become. It's kind of the point.

Hence me starting this thread and coining the term "mage-cheese". Thankyou for your support. :wobble:

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 22 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #144

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I'll ignore most of your other responses as they were mostly just opinionated down-talk in regards to people and events you have no knowledge of.

Heh. Welcome to the 'Shock. :)

No offense is taken however, as I would have not put such a question on an online forum if I did not expect to have to wade through said responses.

See above.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jan 22 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #145

Guests

Glad I could help, but if that's all that you gained from reading my post then my opinion of you is now lower than my opinion of your GM.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Jan 22 2005, 01:43 AM
Post #146

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I'll ignore most of your other responses as they were mostly just opinionated down-talk in regards to people and events you have no knowledge of.

I thought Crimsondude's response was anything but opinionated down-talk. He, along with most of the other posters on this thread, are responding to what has been posted... notice the use of the quote feature? :please:

It seems like there is a lot of defensive posturing going on rather than interest in ways to examine the point of the original question.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 22 2005, 01:45 AM
Post #147

Runner

It seems like there is a lot of defendsive posturing going on rather than interest in ways to examine the point of the original question.

Yeah, but that seems to happen all the time around here. ;)

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Jan 22 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #148

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

I'll Dragon Scrabble you for it.

Whoever wins gets to claim true and overwhelming Shadowrun superiority.
:grinbig:

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 22 2005, 02:40 AM
Post #149

Runner

Scrabble on!! :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jan 22 2005, 04:54 AM
Post #150

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

No, that's a really lame and pathetically weak tactic by a GM who clearly has no capacity to control his own games.

Actually, there's nothing in the campaign that isn't in the core book. That must mean I'm incredibly lame and my game is unbelievably out of control.

Please teach me how to be a real GM! I've only been doing this for 10+ years with players that constantly come back for more campaigns. I'm obviously doing something terribly wrong.

I need your help you big gaming stud! :love:

Now that we're done with our posturing, what other things can be done by mundanes to level the playing field with mages? I liked some of your ideas. Gimme more.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jan 22 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #151

Guests

Okay, that does it.

I've been around here since the Deep Res forum first opened in various guises. In all that time and all those years, I have rarely if ever resorted to insults and character assassination. When I have, I have later apologized. The only time I did not apologize was when I was temporarily banned for being arrogant, which I will never apologize for.

But I'll be goddamned if I am going to sit here and take any crap anymore. I dare you to find anyone here who has consistently posted correct, cohesive, logical posts, often times with citations to the original source with as much depth and frequency as I have. I especially dare you to do so in the last three months, where the majority of my posts have included at least one reference to a SR book or other aspect of canon in an attempt to answer your* questions, because I am apparently a magnanimous idiot. Sure, I have attempted to add a measure of levity to some threads when it has been appropriate, or I engage in in-joke banter with some close acquaintances about a physad whose primary purpose seems to be 'punching bag' or about Nadja Daviar's dark brown nipples, but I have also spent hours writing out single posts describing such things as the DeeCee Sprawl with much better authority and detail than that fucking hack Steve Kenson ever did. I have been willing to admit myself wrong to the whole DS world when it came to SoE and in fact turned out to love the book and posted a rather long review of just one chapter because I felt it only necessary to explain why I did a 180 on the book and that specific chapter.

I have spent too many hours, blown off too many other priorities for this forum and to help you all out because I could, and my fall semester grades have proven that resoundingly. For the last five years, I have tried... God, have I tried... not to get involved in petty arguments, or character assassinations on this site. I have done my best to never step into a thread without being informed and bringing as much intellect as I could to a thread, especially the old Lounge threads, because to do otherwise is a waste of my time and all of yours.

I could defend myself if I wanted. I could tell you that I was angry and distracted when I wrote that response, and that it has been the cherry on the sundae of suck to events which have transpired for months that you did not know about, and never will, because I leave my life off this site, and I have done it for you all.

But I won't defend myself for that comment, or for any other comment I have posted over the years. The comment had information in it. The comment had ideas in it. The comment had a context of my complete lack of comprehension at the very nature of the conflict presented. But it was not some childish attempt at name-calling and insult, and it offends me to even be accused of making such a post.

I will not defend myself, to you Cynic, or to anyone here.

And, I will not waste anymore of my time on any of you here.

*"you" = all DS users.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Jan 22 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #152

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

You go Crimsondude, you don't owe anything to us bastards. :notworthy:

I have actually found your posts to be relevant, informative, and entertaining. Don't let the dregs get you down.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 22 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #153

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Hey Crimson, I like your posts. I find them valuable.

But school work should come first. I never graduated from anything after discovering roleplaying games. Keep your priorities straight, man.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 22 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #154

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Easy way to kill the mage. Small rigger spotter drone, something with a sig of 12. Big ship in the ocean, with a vaporizer railgun on it. Max range of 16,000. Battletac FDDM on ship, spotter, and riggers deck. Fire. Dead mage.

+Quote Post
ShortBusFury
post Jan 22 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #155

Target

Member No.: 6,996

I dare you to find anyone here who has consistently posted correct, cohesive, logical posts, often times with citations to the original source with as much depth and frequency as I have. I especially dare you to do so in the last three months, where the majority of my posts have included at least one reference to a SR book or other aspect of canon in an attempt to answer your* questions, because I am apparently a magnanimous idiot.

If you're getting upset because of people not taking your word as canon or for the pearls of wisdom that your are dropping then maybe you should take a step back and look at things from a different point of view. You *were* talking down to me in tone and implying ineptness on the part of a GM you have no data on. Reread your post and imagine you were on the receiving end of it. I came here for help and you gave attitude. When I get attitude I, like most people, tend to return it. I'm very well aware that you may not have been aware of coming across as insulting. I have noticed on many threads that you tend to get attitude back quite a bit. I wouldn't give up on the forums just 'cause you can't take what you dish out. Realize that not everyone is going to share your opinion... especially not in a world-encompassing speakeasy that is an internet forum. You put someone on the defensive and they are not likely to listen to much you have to say. If all you're doing is adamantly dolling out your own ideas and berating people for the things they are doing wrong then maybe you should re-evaluate your personal definition on the word 'help'. I am an arrogant bastard myself, I will admit, so I am speaking from experience. You shouldn't give up on something you obviously enjoy. I hate to sound corny, but... be like the willow, not the oak. Bend, don't break bro.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jan 22 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #156

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

So does anyone have any more ideas on what mundanes can do to level the playing field against spellcasters?

Let's say, for instance, you have a world-spanning organization of magic-haters, trying to bring down the witchcraft using devils that are slowly destroying the moral fabric of the world. What do you do against such powerful opposition?

A few things that have been mentioned:

- camp out around backgroud counts and mana warps

- spotter drones and naval artillery

- ensure your bases are scout proof (easier if you use the 2nd ed. rule about projecting through living material)

- destroy the opposition's rep. They may have magical power, but you can try to prevent them from getting political or social power

- have the entrances to your bases rigged up to make passing through them invisibily much harder: 2' deep water in the hallways will be uncomfortable, but leave nice empty holes where the invisible guy is walking

- hit them through their friends and family. All the power in the world won't help you if you're afraid to aanything because the enemy has your mom dangling over a pot of boiling oil.

I think we can all agree that you can ramp up the power on enemy mages to challenge magically active and karmically advanced characters. Or combine spirits, magic, and assault weaponry to good effect. But what can us mundanes do?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 22 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #157

Dragon

"Us" mundanes can bomb them, rigger assaults are the heavy hand of mundanes. The best thing about the naval, is they're not likely to care about a little drone flying near them, if they are, theres not a whole lot they can do to affect it, other than mostly powerbolt or wreck(rotodrone). Powerbolts are rather hard to get to fully affect the drone, especially considering that the rigger will be going before the mage 99% of the time.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 22 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #158

Runner

Which mundanes? PCs or NPCs?

NPCs...splatguns, smoke grenades, ruthinium.

PCs...splatguns, smoke grenades, ruthinium, and pocessing skills the mage doesn't. ;)

Just read Trantual's post: I'd say your percentage is off. Most people around here favor a rating one Sustaining Focus for Improved Reflexes 3 right out of the gate.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 22 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #159

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Regardelss of where someone may perceieve his attitude I largely agree with everything that Crimsondude has said.

I have run campaigns past 300+ karma and the mages never really became unbalanced versus the other characters.

Pretty much every example of mages becoming horribly imbalanced has been the result of a GM not properly enforcing the limitations of the magically active. This includes background count, enemies, proper LOS, Alarm wards, destroying active foci from astral space, foci addiction, proper time spent to lear spells, proper time spent to aquire gear, Mana warps, astral shallows... The list goes on and on.

Even aquiring a force 14 conjuring library should be a pretty good pain in the ass, as should someplace to put a force 14 summoning circle, and aquire the force 14 summoning materials. The skill takes a boatload of time to learn, and should really take a mentor which would be nigh impossible to find and probably an adventure or two in itself.

To boot, while the mage spends karma on skills and spells and initiation, the mundanes are spending that on raw skills, meaning that for an equal amount of karma the mundanes should have significantly higher skills. Also, the mundanes by now should have had many, many opportunities to upgrade cyber and gear.

Also, in order to survive the harrier moments the team (and the individuals) should have blown a pretty sizeable amount of their karma pool, which should make it somewhat self limiting. At 100 karma in a campaign in my experience the karma pool is rarely over 6. In a 300 karma campaign the pool is rarely over 12. Mechanically the more karma they have the more lethal things get because there's a finer line between surviving and dying. Things that damage them are high enough power that if they don't dodge, they probably die.

On the issue of great dragons, just the fact they dragons may have a couple hundred karma pool and have been alive for tens of thousands of years means a team should never be able to reastically take one head on. It's their anchored, quickened and sustained spells that will get you. It's their divination. They know you are coming probably before you do. They are basically impossible to ambush because of that. Not to mention their karma warping abilites, where they can spend a karma pool to make you reroll all your sucesses. unless the GM is in fact incompetent (IMHO) a party stands absolutely no chance against a GD. These creatures are smart enough no human GM can realistically portray their intelligence. That's my main problem with using them. The players can outsmart the GM, but the characters can never realistically outthink a GD.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 22 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #160

Dragon

QUOTE (kevyn668)

PCs...splatguns, smoke grenades, ruthinium, and pocessing skills the mage doesn't. ;)

Just read Trantual's post: I'd say your percentage is off. Most people around here favor a rating one Sustaining Focus for Improved Reflexes 3 right out of the gate.

VCR3 = init is +6reaction + 3d6 (so Reaction+6+4d6 total). That pretty much always trumps Imp Ref 3.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 22 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #161

Runner

QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jan 22 2005, 02:07 PM)

VCR3 = init is +6reaction + 3d6 (so Reaction+6+4d6 total). That pretty much always trumps Imp Ref 3.

Assuming every rigger out there has VCR 3...but whatever. If you want to say that riggers go first 99% of the time, go for it. Just remember, 96.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :P

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Jan 22 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #162

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

In our campaign, we are at about 150-180 good karma on average. The players average about 1 or 2 karma pool.

The mage, conversely, has none.

Bitbasher is correct. Most cases of overpowered characters are due to GM's not knowing the ways to counter the characters. They may be great GM's, just uninformed. Reading the first post on this thread reminds me of my first days GMing, when I didn't know the rules quite so well as I do now.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 22 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #163

Dragon

In my example, I meant for said rigger to have a VCR3. Besides, if you have naval weapons, you have a VCR3.

99% of the time is obviously a false statistic, but meaning the majority. In the instances in which the rigger doesn't go first, the mage can't do a whole lot to stop it. At best, they could powerbolt the drone, provided they know powerbolt at a high enough force to affect it. Hell, the rigger could just use 3 drones, that aren't close enough to ball all 3 at once. Done. Even if one gets fried, the other drones can easily get the lock, and then the ship shoots the mage.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 22 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #164

Runner

I was just nitpicking your 99% thing. :)

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Jan 22 2005, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 22 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #165

Dragon

Heh. Just to add to my side. The riggers minimum initiative will be 10+reaction. The mages will be 4+reaction. Which will usually go first?

Another rigger way to kill the mage. Run them over, with a vehicle. Sure, they might have lots of reaction and such, but if the vehicle just comes by, then splat, most mages don't have a vehicle barrier spell anchored.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.