Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hey, wow, I have this timesaving idea, More brilliant than cheese
Adam
post Jan 27 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #58

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Totally serious. Having someone go through some submissions to check them for simple things - incorrect character stats, incorrect interpretations of rules, and other "big" errors would be a great help.

One of the related problems is when we take the time to read a submission in depth and make comments/annotations to it, then send that back to the author with a "We thought you had an interesting concept and some good ideas, and in turn we have some ideas on how to make it even better, what do you think?" ... then, if we don't get a reply from the author at all, we've just wasted our time - time that could have been spent on a different article from a different author.

After some authors repeatedly said "I'll make the changes!" and then never did [and continued to send in submissions that completely didn't match our stylesheet, take in account any of our previous suggestions, or even look like a Shadowrun article at all] we simply moved to sending short form-letter rejections, but we can't do that to any article that isn't quite up to snuff, so we have to gamble our time on articles that may not turn into anything.

Usually if we want substantial changes we ask the original author to make them him- or herself [or we say "If you don't want to make these changes, but don't mind us making them, we'll still publish the article"], but it seems to be about a 50/50 chance that they never return any followup emails.

And, to be totally fair, sometimes we are /quite/ late getting feedback back to authors - trying to get better at this, especially with the new publishing schedule.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adhoc
post Jan 28 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #59

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 911

The basic idea would be saving my time on the part of the job (:being a GM) that I like doing (:making plots). I'd rather you saved my time on a part of the job that I don't like doing (like making NPCs).

/Anders

+Quote Post
Starfurie
post Jan 31 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #60

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,544

QUOTE (Botch)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Jan 19 2005, 02:25 AM)
Curse you stupid Japanese filtering software.  Every now and then, Websense will decide it doesn't like DSF, but it's always 'changed it's mind' after a couple days.  It's criteria for blocking English language pages seems pretty random.

Websense works by downloading an international database of permitted and filtered sites and pages and uploading user settings. I maintain one of these and keep uploading DSF references as permitted (eg. not an on-line game), somebody/ies else keep uploading DSF references as filtered. So for all you Websense users, DSF here today, gone tomorrow, ad naseum.

Botch, can you set up a bot that keeps checking the DSF references and uploads them as permitted whenever it encounters them as filtered?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  « < 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.