Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The magic bullet?
Tal
post Jan 25 2005, 04:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,294

My darling runners have come up with another idea to torment me: A bullet that dissolves within the body after firing. They claim that the bullet actually exists already and was used to knock off JFK from the grassy knoll. If this nasty little sucker does exist, what modifiers would apply, if any? They're currently thinking of an ice bullet. :S
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 25 2005, 04:37 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

You're kidding right?

Someone will soon come and post real life ballistics stats, but seriously, c'mon. Slap your player with the nearest heavy object and call it a day.

The "ice bullet" has also been dicussed and dismissed, IIRC.

What are they so concerned about? Waste the guy and go for sloppies™.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Jan 25 2005, 04:37 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Close, but no cigar. THe bullet I had heard of was the frozen meat bullet - freeze the meat, shoot the meat, and when it dissolves it's just more meat in the meat body. I think ice bullets aren't practical as such...the explosive would vaporize it...it's gotta have more substance than that.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 25 2005, 04:40 AM
Post #4

Runner

You're kidding, right?

At the very least the "meat bullet" is not conected to any of the "meat" in the body. It would still stick out like a sore thumb. Esspecially if its at the end of a big ass wound canal.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 25 2005, 04:40 AM
Post #5

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

Suggestion: have them hear a rumor of such a bullet being available. Let them go searching for it. Then either let them use them or make the search go on forever. I don't see how such a bullet would break the game world.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Jan 25 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

Certain plastic-like materials could be made to disintegrate when touched by human blood...

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 25 2005, 04:43 AM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (Sabosect)
Certain plastic-like materials could be made to disintegrate when touched by human blood...

Such as...?

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Jan 25 2005, 04:45 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Give me a chemistry degree, a team of scientists, billions of dollars, and a few years to work it out. ;)

Just thinking we could engineer something to disintegrate when it comes in contact with, say, potassium.

+Quote Post
Tal
post Jan 25 2005, 05:06 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

One of the runners seems to think it's fun teasing Lone Star. The last stunt was dumping FAE into the sewers then setting it off. I think I'll have to start going with the heavy object thing.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Jan 25 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Hey, I just said I'd heard of frozen meat bullets before...I've also heard of killing with icicles before, but ice bullets are just silly.

In this day and age of CSI, frozen meat bullets could be useful - I would think there would definately be no way of telling how the meat got in there (yes, it looks like a bullet wound, but why would meat be in the hole and along the sides of the wound?) and more useful - couldn't tell what kind of gun fired the bullet - no striations I would think.

Eh...yes, it's a silly idea in SR. *nyah*

Edit: FAE in the sewers? gah! I had my runners accidentally set of a FAE in a warehouse (white phosphorus and diesel tanks just don't mix), but it always has consequences (the entire neighborhood is now addicted to a new drug that was in the warehouse - it vaporized and became a gas)

+Quote Post
Tal
post Jan 25 2005, 05:18 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Heh. They haven't found the ramifications for that yet. I'm thinking devil rat shamans.

Mostly I just let them get away with this stuff because they're amusing. They rp well, but they like to think up crazy new stuff.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 25 2005, 05:18 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Make that bullet out of human meat, possibly from generic muscle augmentation/toner bioware. Petrify it and shoot.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 25 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

In this day and age of CSI, frozen meat bullets could be useful - I would think there would definately be no way of telling how the meat got in there (yes, it looks like a bullet wound, but why would meat be in the hole and along the sides of the wound?) and more useful - couldn't tell what kind of gun fired the bullet - no striations I would think.
That episode of the show was really freaking stupid. because there'd be Smackloads of propellant, you know, gunpowder, in the wound cavity, and the rear (or more) of the "meat bullet" would likely be cooked. It'd look exactly like someone got shot except they wouldn't immediately find the projectile. It would be a lot harder to trace though. In SR they'd get a psychometrist on it and then well... not good for the shooter.

A lot of CSI is really bullshit. Just FYI I'm a civilian employee of the LVMPD :P

+Quote Post
Tal
post Jan 25 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

IIRC, the point of the magic bullet was partly that they wouldn't find it and partly the lack of an exit wound.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 25 2005, 05:35 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Tal)
IIRC, the point of the magic bullet was partly that they wouldn't find it and partly the lack of an exit wound.

Just use a shotgun with lead birdshot :P

...The KISS principle.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 25 2005, 05:35 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

so, you use a chunk of frozen flesh for a bullet. it takes the CSI guys a while, but they finally figure out what happened, based on the presence of expended gunpowder in the wound and the tissue damage around the end of the wound channel that looks oddly like the flesh there has been, y'know, frozen. they immediately lable you "The Flesh Bullet Killer" and begin a manhunt.

meanwhile, all the other hitmen are using APDS or shotguns. they're just as hard to track, forensically, and they don't get a cool nickname.

guess who i'm gonna hire.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 25 2005, 05:38 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (mfb)
so, you use a chunk of frozen flesh for a bullet. it takes the CSI guys a while, but they finally figure out what happened, based on the presence of expended gunpowder in the wound and the tissue damage around the end of the wound channel that looks oddly like the flesh there has been, y'know, frozen. they immediately lable you "The Flesh Bullet Killer" and begin a manhunt.

meanwhile, all the other hitmen are using APDS or shotguns. they're just as hard to track, forensically, and they don't get a cool nickname.

guess who i'm gonna hire.

Or, OR, you can get really really fancy and load your own Sabot rounds of a .45 slug and fire it from a 20 gauge! No ballistics AT ALL yet they still find the bullet!

Yeah, CSI bugs me sometimes.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Jan 25 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

I'd hire both: The Flesh Bullet Killer to take out a target, and the other to take out the Flesh Bullet Killer. No witnesses, and I get a reward for turning him in.

I call it getting a return on my investment.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Jan 25 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish. Even if the bullet itself is missing, it's still going to be obvious that the guy died by being shot. What benefits do you gain from a bullet like that, that make it better than simply using a different gun for your various assassinations? There's also the problem that it'd take a large amount of BS to not only make this bullet in the first place, but also to have it break apart into anything other than a soup of highly conspicuous chemical residue. And again, it's obvious that this person was shot, so what point does a 'stealth' bullet serve?

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Jan 25 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

The idea is to eliminate a ballistics trace, so they can't match bullet to gun. That, and the cool factor.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Jan 25 2005, 06:02 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

QUOTE (Sabosect)
I'd hire both: The Flesh Bullet Killer to take out a target, and the other to take out the Flesh Bullet Killer. No witnesses, and I get a reward for turning him in.

I call it getting a return on my investment.

Sounds like a true Mr. Johnson to me

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 25 2005, 06:10 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

yeah, but you can't get a ballistics trace on a shotgun round, either. it's like the old myth about mafiosi rubbing their bullets in garlic so that they're poisonous, or whatever. even if it works, shooting your guy twice works better.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 25 2005, 06:19 AM
Post #23

Runner

The TV show CSI bugs the crap outta me. It's just not like that.

*curses and shakes fist*

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 25 2005, 06:21 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

right. next, you're going to tell me that CSI techs don't investigate cases. or that nobody in real life can actually use the lines that David Caruso uses without getting laughed at.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Jan 25 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

CSI is a fun show to laugh at. I think the reason they get it so wrong in many areas is so that the idiots who watch the show to learn from the mistakes there won't realize the information is wrong and will get caught by the cops.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.