IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Damien Trivia, Just a few questions...
thepatriot
post Jan 26 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,314

1. Is the man married? Kids?

2. Gavilan Industries... any solid connection?

3. Who the hell is "Errant", anyway? :|

4. Lives in Detroit, right? Ares HQ still in Motor City in 2063?

5. So... is he REALLY the devil, or is this just conjecture? :eek:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 26 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

1. Not sure. Don't think so.

2. I'd say that's a yes. ;)

3. Errant isn't a person's name.

4. I don't where he maintains his permement adress.

6. He is NOT the devil. Well, no more so than any other mega's CEO. So I guess you say he's a devil but not the devil. :)

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 26 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #3

Target

Just askin :)

Anyone else got 0.02 :nuyen: on this?

"Neighbor of the beast", eh? Couldn't have asked a better chummer on #5.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 26 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #4

Runner

Okay, okay...you're a good sport so I'll try again. :)

1. See above.

2. He did in fact start that company. With a little outside help he used it to do the "Nano Second Buyout" thingy

[ Spoiler ]

3. Knight Errant. I think some designer thought it'd be a cool name. 8) But I could mistaken.

4. I imagine he has pads all over the wold. As of Target: UCAS, Detroit was still homebase. I haven't seen anything around to indicate otherwise but I can't prove it's still there.

5. I thought my first answer was snappy enough. :) AFAIK, he has no magical ability and is just a "normal" human. He probably has some neat-o cyber/bio/nano toys to keep him youthful and healthy but thats about it. He IS insanely intelligent (Int: 10+ If I had to guess). As is said, he did play chess with a Great Dragon and won from time to time.

Hope this helps a little more. :)

Do you mind if I ask why you're interested?

Edit: I don't mean to sound rude but you've been around here for 2 years, this must have come up hundreds of times. What's up?

+Quote Post
cykotek
post Jan 26 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,621

Just want to debate a point here: As far as I know, Gavilon Industries was *not* in fact started by David Gavilon, nor Damien Knight. To my recollection, Gavilon Industries was started by Dunkelzahn.

Basically, David Gavilon, after the disbanding of Echo Mirage (of which he was a part) has a brilliant idea. As a vastly skilled programmer, he thinks he can program a rapid-acquisition, computer-controlled buy-out of a company. He's only got a couple of problems. First, he needs the big iron to do this, and second, he needs the funds. While I'm sure he was paid well for his services in Echo Mirage, I doubt he would have enough to buy 25+% of Ares.

He somehow manages to convince Dunkelzahn to back him with cash. I also got the distinct impression that Lucien Cross (of Cross Applied Technologies) was involved, providing the hardware, but I could be wrong. Cue the Nanosecond Buyout. David, now Damien Knight, owns slightly over 25% of Ares, enough to become CEO, but not enough to take the seat for Chairman of the Board (this is where you cue the fight music and Knight and Leonard Aurelius square off).

Dunkelzahn, using the profits he made from his involvement, creates Gavilon Industries as a little kick at Knight. Gavilon, incidentally, owns a small, though not insignificant amount of Ares stock itself. Cross (as I said, I'm not exactly sure how he was involved, but I know he was involved) uses his own profits to create or acquire CAT, eventually getting into competition with Ares.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jan 26 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #6

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

What cykotek says is right, insofar as can be gathered from all the available published information on Knight/Gavilan.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 26 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

That reminds me, I need to update my Echoes page on of these days.

For the record, Knight is also the world's most eligible bachelor.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jan 26 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I thought he was married in Burning Bright.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jan 26 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #9

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

He was married, but is currently divorced. I can't recall what book his ex and daughter appeared in, though.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jan 26 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Ah, when did the divorce stuff happen? Blood in the Boardroom-era? I missed out on alot of those books as I was away from the game at the time :(

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 26 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Methinks y'all're confusing Damien Knight with Villiers.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 26 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

What was that AH, southern Renaissance?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 26 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

No, Richard.

~J

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Jan 26 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

And Cross did help knight. Knight fears that Cross will leak the way and means he used to buy his stock. As far as I can tell this why Knight wants Cross dead and gone. Or it at least why he did a long time ago.

Well,I would like to aid a few things...

Is Fast Jack one and the same is Knight?

Who is Errant Knight?

Why do people confuse Villiers with Knight?Speaking of these two, are they on friendly terms? Do they want to kill each other on sight? Or are they two CEO's trying to make money that will act based on the red line?

That are the names of Ares' two judges on the CC?And under what company do they get their seats?

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 26 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (cykotek)
Just want to debate a point here: As far as I know, Gavilon Industries was *not* in fact started by David Gavilon, nor Damien Knight. To my recollection, Gavilon Industries was started by Dunkelzahn.

Basically, David Gavilon, after the disbanding of Echo Mirage (of which he was a part) has a brilliant idea. As a vastly skilled programmer, he thinks he can program a rapid-acquisition, computer-controlled buy-out of a company. He's only got a couple of problems. First, he needs the big iron to do this, and second, he needs the funds. While I'm sure he was paid well for his services in Echo Mirage, I doubt he would have enough to buy 25+% of Ares.

He somehow manages to convince Dunkelzahn to back him with cash. I also got the distinct impression that Lucien Cross (of Cross Applied Technologies) was involved, providing the hardware, but I could be wrong. Cue the Nanosecond Buyout. David, now Damien Knight, owns slightly over 25% of Ares, enough to become CEO, but not enough to take the seat for Chairman of the Board (this is where you cue the fight music and Knight and Leonard Aurelius square off).

Dunkelzahn, using the profits he made from his involvement, creates Gavilon Industries as a little kick at Knight. Gavilon, incidentally, owns a small, though not insignificant amount of Ares stock itself. Cross (as I said, I'm not exactly sure how he was involved, but I know he was involved) uses his own profits to create or acquire CAT, eventually getting into competition with Ares.

My bad. :)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 26 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Is Fast Jack one and the same is Knight?

<shrug> Maybe. If so, Knight's chosen an interesting way to get his joolies aside from being the master of Ares.

Who is Errant Knight?

The name, and accompanying posts, suggest he's a former member of Knight Errant gone to the Shadows.

Why do people confuse Villiers with Knight?Speaking of these two, are they on friendly terms? Do they want to kill each other on sight? Or are they two CEO's trying to make money that will act based on the red line?

<shrug> Powerful, rich white men must look alike. No idea about animosity, they've been dealing with others for control of their own corps for years. Howevere, I like to quote Gibson's latest novel with the phrase "Like spiders mating."

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 26 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #17

Target

Kevyn...

The above is precisely why I ask. Some of these questions have been burning for some time, especially in my mind. As for my motive: I'm working on a mission that involves this data.

AH,
I was hoping to see you get involved in these questions... and I think they ARE confused.

I've been doing this homework for some time and have no reason to believe DK has any legitemate heirs. Assuming DK is the same as David Gavilan, this vexes me, as the man must be pushing 70 at this point. Degenerative neuro-drek has GOT to be getting started, not to mention any scrambling Echo Mirage may have done. In point of fact, whatever superior intellect he may or may not possess may be simply an unexpected (and albeit unlikely) positive affect of that project. Let's look at the least specialized, yet most productive and successful deckers and how many times they've been burned... FJ, Dodger, CChaos...

Anyone got further feelings on this?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 26 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #18

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Knight has had several treatments of Leonization (or whatever they call it now), so his "virtual" age is right around 40. This is mentioned in either SotA63 or one of the newers.

Denver Box Set mentions a diplomat that may or may not be one of Knight's nieces - someone with an assumed name can have a family, an assumed family.

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 29 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #19

Target

Methinks I shall have to create an illegitemate line for him. <shrug> So much's the pity... it would have been a run worthy of TSS.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 29 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #20

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Knight has had several treatments of Leonization (or whatever they call it now), so his "virtual" age is right around 40. This is mentioned in either SotA63 or one of the newers.
Which makes mo sense math wise. He couldn't have had multiple leonizations unless he's an absolute retard, which he isn't. Leonization takes you back to your 20's and hasn't existed in SR for more than 15 years, as it was introduced as a new technology in Shadowtech. Assuming he did it once RIGHT when it was in beta he couldn't be at a physical the more than his 40s, even if he only did it once. He has at least 5 or so left to use, he should be good for many, many years.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 29 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #21

Beetle Eater

Perhaps there is a run hint in there, eh? Maybe the first treatment was a... dud or such.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 29 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Ideally, Leonization requires the patient to do follow-up visits once or twice a year. If the effects are as advertised, Knight might have had the full treatment done twice, and continued on the bi-annual follow-up. Likewise, he may just be wanting to look a bit older.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 29 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

Doesn't he get them done on one of the Ares space stations or something (T:WL)?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 30 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Or maybe the treatment was made available to the general (but rich) public with the release of Shadowtech, but was available to Knight a few years before this due to his Corp's experimentation in the area.

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 30 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #25

Target

All conjecture. I will simply rework the run with a manufactured personality. I should have known better than to tamper with Canon.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.