Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HMHVV, What would happen....
Gilthanis
post Jan 29 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,676

I was thinking about an upcoming campaigne I am in and was wondering what would happen if a blood shaman used a vampire for his materials when creating a blood spirit. Would the spirit continue to spread the virus? Would the spirit get any special abilities in your game from accomplishing such a feat? What effects do Shedim and Master Shedim have if they take over a dead vampire body?

What do you think?

Any other possibilities?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 29 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Do vampires leave bodies? But I imagine their blood is as powerful as they are (essence wise) and therefore would be very potent in creating blood spirits or such dark magics. Also, I would allow (can't recall blood spirit powers atm) a blood spirit to take vampire powers (increased strength) using the channeling metamagic customized for them. I wonder if a vampire channeling a blood spirit has double the Essence Drain power?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 29 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

only if they also take double the Essence Loss.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 29 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I wonder if an adept vampire can combine Distance Strike with Essence Drain... A magician's adept channeling a blood spirit using Distance Strike...

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Jan 29 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

Essence Drain has never been explained beyond the fact that it takes minutes of time and a willing or helpeless victim. Those two qualifiers probably disqualify being able to do it via melee attacks. Shadowrun vampires do not have energy draining slam attacks.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 29 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

It also requires an emotional bond of some sort. The victim must feel some strong emotion for the Vampire. Lust, fear, and anger work fairly well.

A victim that is indifferent to the vampire can't be drained.

There is also temperory essence drain, which lasts for 1 combat turn per point of base essence. It only requires an opposed essence vs willpower test. However, Temperory essence drain isn't fatal and isn't normally available to vampires.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 29 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

That means sleeping people are probably not fair game. However, you're not likely to remain indifferent if they wake you up and start biting you.

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 30 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 2,314

I just got finished boning up on this very subject. I don't have the blood magic rules in front of me, but I believe the canon response would be that a Vampire adds nothing special to a blood spirit summoning. Awakened sacrifices in general add more than mundane do, but there are no hard and fast rules for specific critters. I do not recall anything about the essense of the vic playing a part.

Better to sacrifice a devil rat and save the Vamp for other purposes... or make up a house rule :)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 30 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

pshaw. get a vamp full up on essence, then sacrifice him. that's one nasty blood spirit, just in terms of force.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 30 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Well....I was wondering because if the blood spirit got bonuses...and the blood mage channeled the blood spirit....what would be the effects of the channeling there? It really does depend on what bonuses the blood spirit received. IIRC, in second edition (or maybe first) vampires also got a bonus to their physical stats based off of the essence or something like that, but SR3 really didn't touch much on that. Also, would channeling the blood spirit give you the virus?

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 30 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 2,314

To the best of my knowledge (which is admittedly limited and... less than fresh), victim essense does not have a direct relationship to the force of a conjured blood spirit. <shrug>

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jan 30 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

the HMHVV would not carry to the blood spirit. the virus is just that, a biological entity. Awakened but still living. The spirit isn't really made of the blood but the blood is symbolic of the design. So sacrificing a vampire is giving an awakened creature, potentially with a high essence to the creature, but doens't create a vampiric spirit.

As for essence drain, it's easy to get strong emotion, just have the vamp beat on you, that should get you anger and/or fearful

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 30 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

That's funny. Last I heard virii weren't living at all. Maybe I'm behind on the times.

+Quote Post
akarenti
post Jan 30 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,785

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
That's funny. Last I heard virii weren't living at all. Maybe I'm behind on the times.

That's been an object of debate for a while. I think "not living" still has the majority.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jan 30 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
I was thinking about an upcoming campaigne I am in and was wondering what would happen if a blood shaman used a vampire for his materials when creating a blood spirit. Would the spirit continue to spread the virus? Would the spirit get any special abilities in your game from accomplishing such a feat? What effects do Shedim and Master Shedim have if they take over a dead vampire body?

It would create a reverse warp in the space-time continuum and we'd all be blasted out of the time stream. It would be as if we never existed and the world would be governed by damn dirty apes.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 30 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Gilthanis)

They have auras and can be Awakened, so in Shadowrun at least they're clearly living.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 30 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

it's still being debated whether or not they're alive. there are strong arguments for both sides.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 30 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Gilthanis @ Jan 30 2005, 11:48 AM)

They have auras and can be Awakened, so in Shadowrun at least they're clearly living.

~J

Hell, you can say the same thing about certain minerals.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 30 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

With only proves that minerals are alive, as well.Just because they can't talk doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

Minning is murder!

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 31 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #20

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

English Nazi note: "Virii" is not a word. The proper pluralization of "virus" is "viruses."

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 31 2005, 06:02 AM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

English Nazi counternote: no, it isn't. "Virus" has no plural, either in English or in Latin.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 31 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #22

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

I stand corrected.

"Virus" is the plural of "virus."

"I'll take two fish with a side order of virus, please!"

+Quote Post
Botch
post Jan 31 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
English Nazi counternote: no, it isn't. "Virus" has no plural, either in English or in Latin.

~J

Whose English exactly?

American Dictionaries

Yahoo maybe?

or maybe this link.

It is correct that virus does not have a different plural form in Latin as it is in the fourth declension (was not a thing that was countable, ie. air) and not second, but we are not using classical latin.

Both German and English speakers have taken the word from Latin and applied pluralisation because it is now a countable thing, notably French and Italian haven't.

Then comes the usage of virus pertaining to computer programs, where it is definately a countable thing and common usage has defined the plural form.

The Oxford ENGLISH Dictionary lists it as viruses, and that IMHO is what counts. English is defined by common usage, it always has and always will and is a reason why the British laugh their tits off when we hear an American say "Burglarization" instead of "Burglary".

+Quote Post
KeyMasterOfGozer
post Jan 31 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,068

QUOTE (Botch)
English is defined by common usage, it always has and always will and is a reason why the British laugh their tits off when we hear an American say "Burglarization" instead of "Burglary".

Uhhhh... I've been American for 32 years, I'm extremely well read and emersed in Pop Culture to boot, and I've never seen or heard the word "Burglarization" before this very post. I know of no Americans who would not use "Burglary" as the noun.

I'm sure there are lots of things that Americans might say or do to make a Brit laugh their tits off, but that is the nuttiest thing I've ever heard.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Jan 31 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

Not been listening to your president or those horrible generic American's Most xxx?

Almost every time the activity of burgulary is mentioned in the UK, by an American the word "burgularization" is used. "Burgularization" was the only and correct form around the time of the formation/separation of USA from Britain, we dropped it favour of a word that is easier to say and spell.

Perhaps yourself and those around you have also taken this approach.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.