Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun like PC Game
jklst14
post Jan 29 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #1

CosaNostra Deliverator

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,034

I'm a long time SR player and forum lurker and decided it was time to join....

Anyways, I just heard of this new computer game called "Restricted Area"

http://www.whiptailinteractive.com/games_r...trictedarea.php

http://www.restricted-area.net/news.shtml

It seems very Shadowrun like and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it or if anyone has played it (it's already been released in Germany).

Thanks all!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 29 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

The game's been mentioned before, here and somewhere else... Ah, yes in here, down a bit.

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 30 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #3

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,314

Very nice. Have we seen a release yet? I've been a bit out of the loop, after all...

+Quote Post
thepatriot
post Jan 30 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 2,314

NM... found it on Amazon. March 15. I may just be home by then :)

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jan 30 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

AFAIK (I followed the discussions in the forums on the game's homepage) "Restricted Area" turned out to be extremely buggy (it was programmed by only two people) - crashes, freezes, slow-downs, quest-stoppers, etc..
While so far nine patches have made the single player campaign playable, the multiplayer part seems to be almost unusable.

And content-wise the similarities between RA and SR are rare (although the programmers name SR as an inspiration). Except from the cyberpunk/sci-fi background the game is a pure hack&slash Diablo-clone with linear and very repetitive levels.

+Quote Post
cracky
post Jan 30 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,010

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but there is a shadowrunish mmo that is coming out soon. It's called face of mankind and is going open beta on monday I believe.

It's a real shadowrun type of atmosphere with alot of faction vs faction politics. There is no leveling, it centers more around roleplaying and combat. Anyways for anybody who wants to check it out the site is www.faceofmankind.com

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jan 30 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (cracky)
It's a real shadowrun type of atmosphere with alot of faction vs faction politics.  There is no leveling, it centers more around roleplaying and combat. Anyways for anybody who wants to check it out the site is www.faceofmankind.com

To me that pretty much looks and sound like a clone of Neocron, which has been around since 2002.
Only with slightly better graphics.

+Quote Post
cracky
post Jan 30 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,010

It is definetly based on on the same premise as neocron, I played neocron through beta and retail. Neocron had the worst launch ever and an even worse relaunch so for an mmo that basically killed it. I know it still exists but playing with like 300 people is not really worth it.

Also the differences are enough to warrant checking it out. There is no leveling like neocron and no clans, this sounds bad at first but it forces the factions to take the front in the politics instead of clans. All missions are faction vs faction based so to earn your money you go up against real players.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 31 2005, 02:51 AM
Post #9

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

FoM is real-life skill based. It's FPS mixed with MMO. So you had best actually be fast on your mouse-flicks and quick with your firing-finger, otherwise you'll probably get killed pretty fast.

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Jan 31 2005, 04:04 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,206

Restricted Area looks pretty impressive if it was made by just two guys.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.