IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Metamagic, Do most runners choose Masking first?
Is Masking the first Metamagic technique you learn upon initiation?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 108
Guests cannot vote 
Crimson Jack
post Feb 2 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,712

It seems that most initiates have Masking. The ones I write as NPCs do. My players all do. In fact, my players always take Masking as their first Metamagic technique. Is this true for everyone? I know there are some other nice "first technique" choices out there, but it does seem lucrative as the first one. Agree or no?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 2 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I'm glad there's at least one panda vote. :D

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 2 2005, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Your fault ... you added it as an option! :P :D

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 2 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 185

In my experience 80% of Initiates take either Masking or Shielding before any of the other options (and in most cases these will be the first two metamagics taken).

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 2 2005, 09:24 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

The Panda metamagic is uber. You can turn all the people targeting you into Pandas.

Actually Centering would be my first choice.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 2 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #6

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Play mostly shamen, so I snag Invoking. Then centering or channeling.

What's so great about masking at grade 1?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Feb 2 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

You can appear to be completely mundane to the average look over, an attempt to break masking requires 'targeting' somone specifically. In addition, non-initiates can't attempt to break masking (iirc).

+Quote Post
Luca
post Feb 2 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,619

CLEANSING!!!!!
Backlground COunt is so diffused in Shadowrun WOrld taht without Cleansing normal or low-level spelcasters cannot do anything useful!!!!

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Feb 2 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

Being as I currently soley GM for my group and i`ve never had a magic char in previous games that lasted long enough for me to initiate. I`ve had to base my answer off my groups actions. (which was a NO btw) . Centering seems to be their favorite, especially when it comes to our Gun Adept (who`s just hit Grade 2) and can now Center for his pistols..which is pretty nasty.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 2 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #10

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I rarely have seen characters chosing anything else than centering at first grad of initiation. Only one chose masking first. Didn't make it to seond grade... grenades are not good for human mages ;)

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 2 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #11

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Depends on the character. One mage was a former Shasta gypsy, and chose Divination as her first metamagic. Masking is a popular one, but only to hide some of the big-ass foci that the mage lugs around. Centering is usually a 2nd grade choice, only because it takes Karma to build up a Centering skill.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 2 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #12

Free Spirit

QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 2 2005, 08:02 AM)
Masking is a popular one, but only to hide some of the big-ass foci that the mage lugs around.

By big-ass I guess you mean Force 1 at iniitiate grade 1?

That and having non-initiate mages not be able to id you as a magician through astral perception seems kind of tame compared to some other metamagics.

[edit] Noticed that was without effort, but how often does deliberate masking succeed? [/edit]

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Feb 2 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

I've never seen a single person take masking. Why bother? If somebody sees you and you're not supposed to be there, it doesn't matter if you're a mage or not, they shoot you anyways.

Our physads tend to take centering first, although we also have a houserule that you can skip a metamagic and get astral perception as a metamagic on your next initiation. Some people go that route.

As for our mages, Anchoring and Quickening are the big ones. Followed by absorbtion and cleansing.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Feb 2 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Some players in the group I currently run have an initiatory group. Their first metamagics were:

JIS Gun-Fu adept: Masking.
TnO Phoenix shaman: Centering.
PCC Eagle shaman: ack, can't remember! It wasn't any of the above two, anyway.

Personally, it would depend on the character I was playing.

+Quote Post
Mr Cjelli
post Feb 2 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,976

My only awakened character at the moment is an obeyifa, and he's carrying around a ton of force 5+ gris-gris at any given time. Given the rules for masking, it doesn't afford him much protection at all, but I might take it for him later when he initiates just to make masking wards.

In general, though, he doesn't have too many options when it comes to metamagic. A great deal of them only work for people with sorcery. Anyone else wish there were more metamagical techniques centered around conjuring?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 2 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i'd imagine that most adepts go for Centering first, followed by Centering for a second skill area (if their focus is on something other than athletics and stealth).

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Feb 2 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #17

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

2 words. Channelling, invocation. Or, how your 115lb Unicorn shamen can drop Bubba the cyber troll like a ton of bricks.

+Quote Post
SentineloftheMou...
post Feb 2 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,556

I took masking for my hermatic mage in the game I am in right now, so I could use it in conjunction with the possession metamagic technique.

I'm waiting to use it to sneak in behind the enemy defenses and attack from behind on the physical world.

+Quote Post
Dizzo Dizzman
post Feb 2 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 7,007

I am surprised nobody mentioned quickening. It definitely seems to be a popular choice in the games I have played in.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 2 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

The only Awakened character in my campaign that has expressed an interest in a metamagic mentioned Divination. And the otaku wants Info Sortilage. Guess they put a pretty high priority on information.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 2 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #21

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Thistledown)
As for our mages, Anchoring and Quickening are the big ones. Followed by absorbtion and cleansing.

What/how are they using Anchoring to make it such a priority? They seem like expensive/glorified sustaining foci. If they were like 2nd edition where you didn't have to withstand drain every activation, I could understand it better.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 2 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

quickening's okay. that and anchoring are generally more useful to magician's way adepts, though.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 2 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I've never seen a single person take masking. Why bother? If somebody sees you and you're not supposed to be there, it doesn't matter if you're a mage or not, they shoot you anyways.

Yeah, but if your stalking some mark with astral bodyguards being abel to hide that fact you're astral as well can be a big help. Along with many similar situations. Plus Masking is the only way to pierce a spirits aura Masking and it's always nice to know your fixer is a bug. Finally, with Masking one can enter a warded area while having active foci without astral combat or alarm (not to mention one can make Masked wards and Alarm wrds with it).

Masking has always been one of the first, but usually only for those with Astral Perception.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 2 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

plus, it's not like the security mages at a given facility will necessarily know every aura of every worker there, unless they've taken the time to assense each and every worker--and all the delivery guys, and all the repair guys, and all the transfers, and so on. if you're a mage or physad, and you're sneaking into a facility in disguise, masking will be pretty damn useful.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Feb 2 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Depends on the character. Due to the tn forumal for using masking, even if its going to be a mainstay ability its not always useful as the first technique; depending on what kind of opposition you typically face. Regardless, you get a panda vote.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.