Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Martial Arts, Who uses them?
James McMurray
post Feb 2 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,957

I posted this in another thread but wanted to move any dscussion of it here to avoid hijacking.

My group doesn't use the MA rules in CC. I thought about using them but its all just bonuses with penalties that rarely com into play.

i.e. your mage never cares if he can hit someone in unarmed combat, so he just gets aikido with close combat, whirling, and evasion.

Or your troll adept has enough dice that he is rarely going to get hit back so he takes Arnis de Mano for close combat, kick attack, and multi-strike.

Those are just quick examples. I'm sure that given more time I could find cheesier exploits.

Who uses martial arts in their campaign, and what have your experiences with it been like? Does it ramp the power a bit, leave it as is, or lower the power?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 2 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

One of my players plays an Oni PhysAd/Mage and he uses the MA rules. It never gets out of hand as he's far deadlier with spellslinging than he is with his art.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Feb 2 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

We've used them a little bit in previous games, most never really came up as an issue since they've been used little, but any modifiers were played as they did fit with the character concept they were playing.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Feb 2 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

It does typically give more benefit than drawback, but its not really that cheesey.

Having say, akido 3 and whirling versus just normal unarmed 3 only matters if the mage is attacked by 2 or more people in melee. Which shouldnt be often if the mage is any good. Same goes for any hand to hand guy, I mean really an adept with unarmed 6, improved ability dice, and possibly centering or a focus gains relativly little by being able to use multistrike with a martial art.

It costs more, but its usually a little better, fair trade off imo. Never seen it become game imbalancing even when combined with edges like ambidexterity and magic, or other 'stacked' combos.

Usually, it helps the opposition out more than the runners. Given the fact that the opposition is usually on the losing end of an encounter, given the fact that if they win the runners usually die, being able to use a manuver or two to buy time for the other guards or whatnot act is worth more than a player taking +1 instead of +2 on some attack. YMMV.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 2 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I use them, but also apply the maneuvers to all melee combat. The specific maneuvers available to each is still a work in progress though (for which not much progress has occured recently).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

we use them regularly. they have the effect of making faster characters into better martial artists, because faster fighters get to choose more maneuvers. you have think more carefully when using the MA rules, because the ads/disads and your choice of maneuver can really backfire on you badly if you're not careful; on the other hand, if you are careful, you can squeeze a bit more use out of your melee skills than you might otherwise.

the best example i can think of is actually also the first time i used them with my main character, a physad. his first real melee combat was against a force 7 earth elemental; my character uses Karate, in which he had 6 skill, and the following manuevers: kick attack, vicious blow, focus will. the elemental had just materialized, and the rest of the team was busy fighting a team of red samurai (the elemental was owned by the red sam mage), so i had three initiative passes to act before it could take an action against me. my firearm did only 6M damage, so i was left to rely on my Killing Hands power.

the first three passes, i laid into it with kick attack (+1 reach, but -1 TN to hit you until your next action) because i knew i had to damage it as much as possible before it had a chance to act. kick attack helped a lot; i was able to get it up to M damage, i think, which isn't bad considering i only had 5 Str. but then the elemental finally got its turn, and it knocked me to M damage in one hit because my last kick attack left me open (the -1 TN). next action, i decide to go all-out with a kick attack, and i think i scored another L damage on it, or something. it attacked me, again with the -1 TN, and knocked me all the way up to S+3. it also knocked me halfway across the factory floor.

i like the MA rules because they add some interesting variety to melee. without them, melee often just breaks down to "i roll, you roll, compare, soak. wash, rinse, repeat." with the MA rules, there's more... i dunno, fun. you can't just depend on having more dice--and if you don't have more dice, you might be able to win anyway.

incidentally, don't ever get vicious blow.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 3 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #7

Guests

I prefer Vicious Blow as it is in FoF.

+Quote Post
Spider
post Feb 3 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,022

I've force my players to use the MA rules and it really improved my game.

The phys Adept, really get something out of it because he was more than a melee and brawl ass-kicker, he now got a distinctive style. I even had one player who learn three type of martial arts to get the beat out of each!

I kinda house rule the MA. In my chronicle, every 2 points you put in MA gives you a technique(Kung-fu 2=1 technique, 4=2 technique, 6=3) i still allow them to buy technique but they get motivation just to improve their martial art.

Player that don't wanna bother get the usual brawl from the martial art section in CC.

But a technique like kippup can even aid an armored street sam that just got blown away by vicious firepower(then again it's sometime usefull to play possum when you got a rocket in your face). You never know when you need to get up fast.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 3 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #9

Guests

What? You mean someone had the temerity to get Wildcat 6 and Krav Maga 6 (and if you don't think Wildcat is SR's version of KM, you're deluding yourself) just to get all of the best moves at Creation of the cheapest of all the MAs?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 3 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

I had one player take to it right away, and another who didn't see what was so great. Then we watched this fun kung-fu movie where a guy tosses a knife in the air and then kicks it into his opponents neck and she was like, "She has kickboxing; can she do that?" And I was like, "Sure, we'll make it a manuver. Kick Toss; it'll let you use kickboxing in place of throwing."

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Feb 3 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

I've used them since CC came out and I love em. Most of my players have a hard time spending precious skill points/karma to buy the maneuvers so most end up taking Brawl. I've had an NPC or 2 teach them the error of their ways.
Troll with No-Dachi: Me have 3 points of reach!
Me: I have close combat
Troll with No-Dachi: Me hate Elf-Dance Fighting!
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Feb 3 2005, 02:43 AM
Post #12

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I think the MA system in the book is probably the dumbest of the optional rules and is horribly and stupidly not only broken but completely lame.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Feb 3 2005, 03:04 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

QUOTE (BitBasher)
I think the MA system in the book is probably the dumbest of the optional rules and is horribly and stupidly not only broken but completely lame.

Ouch!
They aren't that bad. They just flavor up a rather bland way of doing melee combat. If nothing else they give concrete rules for disarming, pushing someone, throwing, etc. I guess if I had devoted half of my life to Martial Arts I would think they were bunk, but I'm just an out of shape game nerd that only throws punches and kicks with the roll of some dice or press of my controller button. :D

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Feb 3 2005, 03:33 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (TeOdio)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 2 2005, 09:43 PM)

Ouch!
They aren't that bad. They just flavor up a rather bland way of doing melee combat. If nothing else they give concrete rules for disarming, pushing someone, throwing, etc. I guess if I had devoted half of my life to Martial Arts I would think they were bunk, but I'm just an out of shape game nerd that only throws punches and kicks with the roll of some dice or press of my controller button. :D

[opinion]
They offer bad, unbalancing and poorly thought out methods for Disarming, pushing, throwing, ect. They offer maneuvers where the user is statistically better off not using any maneuvers in some cases. They attempt to remove the abstract nature of an inherintly abstract system while still passing explanations of thing off as "it's abstract."

The system can be made significantly better without making it any more complicated. As is the mechanics of many maneuvers (and arts) are wholly stupid.
[/opinion]

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 3 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Do you have, or use a better system?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 3 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

GMing opinion:

Can be trained in Evasion and not be totally outclassed. May have combinations of Martial Arts and Maneuvers that makes them far more deadly. Allows tactical flexibilty in an abstract manner and favours the higher initiative character without breaking the game. Less complains of high initiative people losing out due to the "you hurt yourself on your own attack" effect.

Only unbalanced aspect is in the conversion rules. Not much exploits available that wasn't in the system already.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 3 2005, 03:57 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I don't have a better system but I'm not crazy about the MA system. I think the idea is cool but I can never bring mysefl to shell out 12 BPs+ for a rating six skill when I can take Brawling 6 and then add manuvers later for 2 KP a pop as I see fit.

Some of the manuvers are pretty cool but seem pretty high in cost. Kick Attack? as mfb's exaple above shows, it can work for you but there's a real good chance you'll take a pounding for using it.

Kip up, Gound Fighting, and a few others are worth the cost but...

Anyways, I use the rules. Can't say I've ever made a char with anything but Brawling but I like to keep my options open. It does add flavor which can be worth its weight in karma and coolness.

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Feb 3 2005, 04:05 AM

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 3 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I allow PCs in games that I GM to use the conversion exploit. Specifically I even tell the players to do it. Create a PC with Unarmed Combat(Martial Art) x/x+2 and convert it into Martial Art x+1 (A, B, C, etc) for free.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Feb 3 2005, 04:10 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (Fortune)
Do you have, or use a better system?

Yes, at least I and the folks in my game think so. We all got together and built one.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 3 2005, 04:12 AM
Post #20

Runner

You wanna share?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

kevyn, the problem with that idea is, Brawling might not have all the maneuvers you want.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 3 2005, 04:58 AM
Post #22

Runner

I hear ya but I can usually make do with a six point Brawling skill versus a 5 point (total cost) MA: 3 with one manuver.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

possibly. but six points of brawling are less useful than three points of MA+whirling, if you're taking on four low-skill gangers.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 3 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #24

Runner

Yeah, but I feel more confident [cooler 8)] when I have 6 points in a melee skill that doesn't require a weapon.

In my limited experience I used to encounter more one on one situations. My prefereces may just be the result of my experiences. However, I do see your point.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Feb 3 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (kevyn668)
You wanna share?

Sure, I have it in hardcopy but need to find a digital version. Probably happen tommorow, not tonight.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.