IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radios, WTH is up with cyber radios in SR?
Deacon
post Feb 3 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 108

Is there any explanation why cyber radios cost so much essence in Shadowrun?

As it is, a radio costs .75 essence and isn't even half as useful as most other kinds of cyberware. In order to get the ability to broadcast silently, you have to get an additional piece of cyberware; in order to scan channels, you need something else that's also additional. A cyber-forearm costs less essence and you can stick a micro-transceiver or a personal comm in it, link it for mental control with DNI, sure it costs more money but it's much more essence-friendly.

A cyberphone costs .5 essence -- why? Cellular phones use the SAME technology!

I know that the radio's been .75 essence and the phone's .5 since the first edition, and I know the technology is based on 1980's concepts of the dark future (and not the advances in wireless technology that we know today), but my players aren't from the 1980's -- they're children of the twenty-first century, and they want to know why they need to spend more for a radio in their head than they do cybereyes which can see in the frickin' dark, display an image inside your own field of view and even more stuff.

Has anyone ever come up with a satisfactory explanation for this? (Besides what I said above, I mean.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Feb 3 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

There was a thread on this not that long ago, iirc.

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Feb 3 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

I can't offer an explanation.

I can offer a house rule. In the spoiler for those who want it.
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 3 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I have absolutely no idea if it's what the designers were thinking of, but one possibility is the Essence cost covers RF shielding and the like. Sure, talk of brain-damaging rays may be silly now, but try sticking the transmitter into your skull and see if that's still the case. If that's accurate, the difference in Essence cost could be explained by the fact that cellphones frequently have a lower range to the tower than radios are able to operate at (lower power).

~J

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Feb 3 2005, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

So put the antenna far away from your head, and put the shielding around that, and connect to it with a router or datajack. No problem for your brain.

Oh wait, that would make sense. :S

Essence cost for radios is clearly based around the transmitter - which is about as powerful as a none-too-powerful thing (max flux of 0, if I remember aright), and that doesn't sound like a lot of brainfry waiting to happen. Not compared to...a transducer, say. Or a high-powered eye laser... :silly:

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 3 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

No, the internal remote deck had a flux of 0, the cyber radio has a normal flux iirc.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 3 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It would make a bit too much sense. I mean, god forbid you run a wire to the brain instead of sticking the whole damn thing in there! IIRC the radio is the same Rating*1.5 Flux as externals, though.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

behold, cybercommunications which do not suck.

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 3 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #9

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Get a DJ, a transducer and an external router. Hook up a standard tac radio to the router and you're golden.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 3 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

remeber that when the rules where written the radios where bricks. basicly the essence cost is a anacronism from the days of SR1. hell, only recently did the consealability for stuff like the pocket secretary get errataed so that it makes sense with todays tech.

allso, the basic headradio works on subvocalisation. basicly you talk so that you barely hear it yourself. its kinda like the strap on throat mic's the marines and similar use, only in your body rather then on the outside.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Feb 3 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

When we first started to question the cost of the headware radios my only explaination was for game balance, but arguably so a weak one. My only offering would be that you effectively remove the need for a team to utter a single sound and be in constant communication.

Personally, and as others have mentioned numerous times, I don't see why a headware radio cost so damn much even with proper shielding and all that. I've considered offering Headware radio and related items at Delta cybeware essence costs, but only at regular prices and I like the DNI-cyberlimb approach as well.

/boggle :?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 3 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

It's grandfathered in from SR1. That's the only reason I can come up with.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Feb 3 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I dropped essence cost to .35. It made all my Lone Star beat officers much happier ;)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 3 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

tbh, I'd drop it even lower; I don't see why a cyber radio would cost more than .2 essence. The cybercomm link, meh, not sure about that; it was a new tech in 2056.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 4 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Just make it satellite radio... XM straight to the brain, baby.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Feb 4 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #16

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Just make it satellite radio... XM straight to the brain, baby.

forget to pay the subscription and they pipe static through it 24/7 till you pay ;)

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 4 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (mfb)
behold, cybercommunications which do not suck.

I use these rules, and have since I first saw them. They are just... better.

Especially since I can't create a pill that creates a phone like in Transmetropolitan where... you have to read the description to understand.

I also use a similar non-cyberware system for all of my characters (Only one has the cyber ATM, they others don't need it badly enough or don't have cyber at all) which consists of "'Earpiece' Jawbone Vibration pickup, dermal pad speakers, Encrypted Wi-Fi to Data Pad", and a "Handheld microphone/ radio switch backup" because the "headset" is used for both a secure cellphone (and for one, a satellite phone) and personal communications unit (i.e., radio).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 4 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i want one of those pills.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 4 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #19

Guests

Same here.

Although I'd prefer they were permanent.

OTOH, nanotech in SR might be able to produce one (especially if someone has bone lacing) "sometime" in the future.

+Quote Post
Deacon
post Feb 4 2005, 04:04 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 108

So here's the sixty-four dollar question... could this be fixed?

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Feb 4 2005, 04:10 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

Just a little side-note here. For anyone who has/does work with a radio on a regular basis, you know how annoying they can be. Who would honestly want one surgically implanted into their grape?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 4 2005, 04:11 AM
Post #22

Beetle Eater

So here's the sixty-four dollar question... could this be fixed?

You mean by something other than house rules? Submit for an errata like that which increased the concealability of the cellphone and p'sec.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Feb 4 2005, 04:12 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

I think the implanted headphone would be much more practical than a radio, anyways.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 4 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #24

Beetle Eater

Meh, you have to be somewhere with a cell network and trust your connection to the 'Trix. Either way the Essence cost if high, and you still need a transducer or microphone/speakers. With deckers I usually get radios, scanners, and cyberphones.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 4 2005, 05:19 AM
Post #25

Guests

I need to create a v2.0 of my commo headset that replaces the speakers and vibration microphones with an external transducer and 'trode rig. The only problem is that a regular trode rig messes with the hair.

But, K10's right. Other than an errata or someone at FanPro having a stroke which makes them redo all of the commo cyberware (It's not just radios and phones. It's all effed), you're SOL.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.