Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Go To Jail, What's the worse a GM can do to a Player
Weredigo
post Feb 4 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,030

Same thing My GM did to my Characters, Send them to PRISON. Oh no, but really, depending on who catches you and where. On the American Continent there are two places a shadowrunner could be put. New York, or Los Angeles. You may think I'm kidding, but if you ever seen Escape from NY and LA the events described make a great setting addition to the shadowrun world, especially the end of LA, Complete Electrical blackout for about a month or two should give the Tribes plenty of time to beat the U.S. forces into submission, also gives you a great N.P.C. to scare the bejesus out of your PC's, his name is Snake Pliskin and he don't play well with others. However depending on how much favoritism is owed to a P.C. by Snake, he might be willing to come out of retirement to help the poor soul escape from the closest thing to hell on earth they'll ever see.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Feb 4 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

... wow.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Feb 4 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

LMMFAO! Snake Pliskin. No way in the 9 hells would I let my hoop be saved by a cheesy 80's action star in leather pants and a spandex shirt.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 4 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I would choose Mad Max instead - when a 80s Action Hero is needed :D

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 4 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

Except that LA and New York are both major economic centers (less for LA, much more for New York). While the game may marginally increase in entertainment value, it may take a hit in realism. If your game is better for it, that's fine. I know that my group would perish the thought before it got that far (or at least, mercilessly mock the person who brought it up).

While Seattle has largely passed other cities as the main West Coast port, LA in the Shadowrun universe still is important enough for Pueblo Corporate Council to march in with their military and annex. This is not to say that there aren't sections of LA that you could use for an "Escape from LA"-type feel... Isn't there an indigent chaotic walled-off section of LA? New York is the major UCAS port on the Atlantic, AFAIK.

Also, I was under the impression that criminal justice involves dumping prisoners in cells and pacifying them with Simsense, rather than dumping them into a walled-off island.

Shadowrun has its own "Escape from..." city: Bug City, the Chicago Containment zone.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 4 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Yes, Mad Max is much better for leather clad nameless goons.
Now, if Zombies are involved, you need Ash.

And don't even start on the Leather-clad nameless Zombies.

Though when I went back and watched Escape from New York, it had a very SR1 feel to it. Clunky comm gear, cool guns and an utter disdain for the value of human life.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 4 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #7

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

No one beats the true Batman (aka Adam West). He's relying on skill and charme only :D

The walled (right?) section of LA is called "El Infernio" or sth. (never had spanish in school). It's like the Barrens of LA.

+Quote Post
algcs
post Feb 4 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,871

I've been pretty lucky so far. Almost every encounter the players have with Lone Star results in The Star responding with leathal force. Their a little scared of prison love.

The way I see it working is this.

If your a company employee and you get caught doing something bad on company property it is a toss up. You could get off scot free, get docked pay, or wind up SINless in the barrens.

If you have a SIN and your not at work; For most crimes your getting a new chip jack with a behavioural modification chip. Either you or your current employer will pay for it. Plus arrest fees and victum fees (if they apply). A few people may end up in jail for longer times if they have a history of bypassing the chips. You can also request jail time to avoid surgery but you better be ready to pay. Some criminals may get handed over to companies for punishment in their legal system.

If you are SINless; It is better if you don't get caught. Minor crimes will get you some stick time in a back alley or a chip. A record of minor crimes will get you a behavioural implant or a banishment implant (Try to enter/leave certain areas of town and it will shock you) and time on a work detail to pay for it. Cyberwear will be disabled or the behaviour chip will zap you for using it. If the crime is bad enough then the Star will issue a Wanted Dead or Alive warrent. The registered bounty hunter that drops the criminal off at a Lone Star station gets the reward. Hard core criminals can expect to get mindwiped, be reprogrammed via Simsense, and have their cyberwear deactivated. This is assuming they don't died while resisting arrest, from falling down the stairs, or after being trasferred to the Pacific Ocean Rehabilitation Facility.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 4 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Also, I was under the impression that criminal justice involves dumping prisoners in cells and pacifying them with Simsense, rather than dumping them into a walled-off island.

That's the case in modern correctional doctrie. But dumping criminals on an island does have a precedent with Australia. I would think that if it could feasibly be done without too much constant money flow the corps would jump at the chance.

Take one island, a large amount of netting, some mines, and some sharks. A radar / sonar outpost alerts gaurds when someone goes too far out into the water. You've got a hard to leave island.

Add in food drops once a week and you've got the prisoners too busy fighting for food to think about escape.

I think it is definitely feasible. The biggest problem would be buying the island, but some of the big megacorps could fund it, and they'd get the omney back by charging different cities for relieving them of their hardened criminal population.

+Quote Post
Gem the Troll
post Feb 4 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 5,973

Problem with that is the potential for a rescue attempt...how much of their resources is a Corp willing to devote to keeping people away from said island? The logistics of a penal island just aren't what they used to be.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 4 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Automated antivehicular gun turrets on towers would work for that. Set them to fire at any aircraft that gets too close, and to broadcast a constant "do not approach within 100 meters or you will be fired upon.

The same holds true for a regular prison. In a world where criminals have access to armored helicopters, the "yard" in a prison makes for a pretty decent landing pad.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Feb 4 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

They could make it a reality tv show :D

+Quote Post
Gem the Troll
post Feb 4 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 5,973

Prisoners will inevitably scrap or reprogram those for their own uses. I just don't see it being able to work. If the UCAS (or other entity) were going to setup a penal colony, they would have to pretty much build it in the center of a military (or paramilitary concern. Then we have nothing more than an outdoor prison. It's not a feasible option...no one will be setting up an island as a penal colony.

+Quote Post
algcs
post Feb 4 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Trax)
They could make it a reality tv show :D

Like Running Man? That would be cool. Your regular Shadowrunners could be guest stalkers or the runners minus their cyberwear of course.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 4 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

That's what I was thinking. I know I've seen a movie or read a book about this, but can't remember what it was. Basically the biggest and baddest bruisers hung out at the food drop site and ruled the island because they controlled the food supply.

They also gave the prisoners a chance to escape on food drop day. For 5 minutes a small gate would be open at a fence. The first person to crawl through the fence would be granted a full pardon. The fights that broke out there were even worse than the ones to gain control of the food.

It could easily pay for itself if it garnered a big enough following. Do your filming with surveillance drones and cameras. Let people know that the penalty for damaging a camera is a lifetime of constant pain. You'll still have a few cameras damaged every now and then, but when that happens your ratigs go up because you get to film the security team going in to round up the vandal.

+Quote Post
algcs
post Feb 4 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (James McMurray)
They also gave the prisoners a chance to escape on food drop day. For 5 minutes a small gate would be open at a fence. The first person to crawl through the fence would be granted a full pardon. The fights that broke out there were even worse than the ones to gain control of the food.

I think your are thinking of No Escape. It was an island future prison type movie

Running Man is the one where certain prisoners are released into a maze and special stalkers hunt and kill them on TV. Lots of betting on who gets killed first.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 4 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #17

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

It's true, an island is a lot less remote of a location than it used to be. Of course, it's a lot easier to defend a small island than it is to keep people away from a small continent.
Maybe you could put it somewhere cold, where swimming means death in the cold water. (sharks aren't that good of a deterrent, it's extremely unlikely they'd even bother with an escaping swimmer)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 4 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

That would work, but sharks would make a more enjoyable show. Just put something in the food that makes the eater's body give off a chemical that smells like fresh blood.

And the sharks don't have to always eat a swimmer. Somethimes the swimmer should make it to the net so he can try and get out. If he succeeds a surveillance drone follows him. Its just barely too far to swim to shore so he'll most likely drown. Viewers could have fun trying to guess if he'll make it to shore or not. And of course, the coastline where the currents will carry our swimmer is just another prison, this time surrounded with wall.

That way you get Island Prison's spinoff show "Life's a Beach". Just the look on a convict's face when he finds out he swam to another prison would send ratings through the roof.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 4 2005, 05:44 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Same thing My GM did to my Characters, Send them to PRISON. Oh no, but really, depending on who catches you and where. On the American Continent there are two places a shadowrunner could be put. New York, or Los Angeles. You may think I'm kidding, but if you ever seen Escape from NY and LA the events described make a great setting addition to the shadowrun world, especially the end of LA, Complete Electrical blackout for about a month or two should give the Tribes plenty of time to beat the U.S. forces into submission, also gives you a great N.P.C. to scare the bejesus out of your PC's, his name is Snake Pliskin and he don't play well with others. However depending on how much favoritism is owed to a P.C. by Snake, he might be willing to come out of retirement to help the poor soul escape from the closest thing to hell on earth they'll ever see.

I've never sent my players to prison. Got close with one character once (a physad melee type), but she escaped from the interrogation room. Probably the worst thing that I've done to a player was have them rendered unconcious and put clunky cyber in their system. He was my wujen and he was not happy about the Essence loss.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 4 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

I'd be interested in hearing the story behind that one. I can't think of a reason to capture someone and put cyberware in them unless it was a research facility. But even then the place would have to be like a prison, because you don't want your test subjects escaping.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 4 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #21

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Maybe you could put it somewhere cold, where swimming means death in the cold water. (sharks aren't that good of a deterrent, it's extremely unlikely they'd even bother with an escaping swimmer)

Cold is good idea. If sharks aren't a deterrent, how about salt water crocodiles, or their aggressive awakened variant? Or one genetically engineered to survive in those chilly waters?

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 4 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I'd be interested in hearing the story behind that one. I can't think of a reason to capture someone and put cyberware in them unless it was a research facility. But even then the place would have to be like a prison, because you don't want your test subjects escaping.

The wujen had a rich and well-connected enemy within Wuxing. The PC double-crossed the Johnson (now enemy), trying to sell paydata to a rival corp for more money. The Wuxing exec had a team take the PC at an opportune time and had a piece of non-canon cyberware into her body. The device was implanted inside her head and acted as both a two-way communicator (including GPS) and inhibitor/stun device. The Wuxing exec would give her commands and expect her to follow them, now all without pay (he was a vindictive bastard). If she refused to follow orders, she got zarked with an electrical shock.

I felt kind of bad about how nasty that all was, but she had the cyber removed after she found a way to contact her magical group without the Wuxing exec knowing (via astral projection). She now has an Essence "black hole" in her system that she isn't sure what to fill with. Needless to say, the endeavor was enough for her to second guess any ideas about double-crossing Wuxing.

So I guess that was a prison, in a way.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 4 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (algcs @ Feb 4 2005, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Feb 4 2005, 11:50 AM)

I think your are thinking of No Escape. It was an island future prison type movie

THERE IS NO ESCAPING NO ESCAPE!!!

+Quote Post
U_Fester
post Feb 4 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,863

QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 4 2005, 12:08 PM)
Maybe you could put it somewhere cold, where swimming means death in the cold water.  (sharks aren't that good of a deterrent, it's extremely unlikely they'd even bother with an escaping swimmer)

Cold is good idea. If sharks aren't a deterrent, how about salt water crocodiles, or their aggressive awakened variant? Or one genetically engineered to survive in those chilly waters?

Look at Easter Island (Rapa Nu, I think). It is isloated, covered with rocks and caves and best yet, very if no trees at all so boat building is out or at least on the low end. The shark population around there is ungodly as well. All these added together would make it a great island prison.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 4 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #25

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

And of course, the traditional Shadowrun "Island of Isolation" is the Japanese solution to the Metahuman Question, Yomi Island. Which would make a great campaign all by itself, too.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.