IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character Generation Preference
Which method do you prefer when it comes to creating a new character
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 115
Guests cannot vote 
Crimson Jack
post Feb 7 2005, 04:57 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,712

When building characters, I've found that the point system is the most flexible for me. Which do you prefer? Are there some house-rule chargen methods out there?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Feb 7 2005, 05:02 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

I'll generally go with point based creation as it allows me to get a bit closer to the character that I envision.

However, I'll use the priority method without complaining if the GM wants them. I also find it useful for quickly building characters. Great for when the fabled PC killing GM steps up to the screen.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 7 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Point, always point.

The two big house-ruled methods are BeCKS and Sum-to-10 (which in previous editions was canon).

~J

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Feb 7 2005, 05:11 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

I'm a big fan of Build Points. I gotta get in there with a pencil and some paper and really hash everything out. Helps me get to know the character.

We use any system we want to, though. It's all up to the player.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Feb 7 2005, 05:19 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Now BeCKs is the one to get in there with a pen and paper to hash out a character. Takes for fraggin' ever. Of course, it usually works out better to use BPs, IMHO.

My personal favorite is Sum-to-Ten. Easy slot selection with more options/combinations than Priority. I usually try all of them with a bunch of sample characters, and I find that some characters work out better with different systems.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 7 2005, 05:20 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Points. All the way.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Feb 7 2005, 05:23 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

BECKS (I've usually got alot of time to waste)

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Feb 7 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
Now BeCKs is the one to get in there with a pen and paper to hash out a character.

GOD, I hate BeCKs. Takes forever, the point values are total bullcrap, and it's waaaaay too complicated.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 7 2005, 05:49 AM
Post #9

Runner

I like BeKCs a lot, too. That system lets me spread the points around. If you don't like the number crunching, use the NSRCG.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 7 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #10

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Priority system here... it's less flexible, but good for playing metahumans (assuming you are using the More Metahumans rules that are canon now in 3rd edition), especially the priority D metahumans. It's also one of the few ways to take the million, be magically active and still have decent skills and attributes. Depends on your point threshold, though. Although the SR Companion suggests 120 points, our group has found 125 to be better balanced against the Priority system. Most of the characters that I make with Priorities actually end up being 127 to 130.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 7 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #11

Runner

Its only good for metahumans if you don't play Trolls or Elves.

Is there a way to play the meta-varients with Priority or Sum to Ten?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 7 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Priority is good for metahumans, even if you play Trolls or Elves. Just that it does not benefit them as much. To use metavariants, by Canon, you have only one route: BP.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 7 2005, 06:05 AM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (kevyn668)
Its only good for metahumans if you don't play Trolls or Elves.

Is there a way to play the meta-varients with Priority or Sum to Ten?

We usually just let the person who wants to play a metavariant purchase "Race" at a one higher priority.

Sum-To-Ten is definitely the cheesiest method out of all three character creation methods, although it really depends on the group point threshold for the point system.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 7 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #14

Runner

So if a player wanted to create a Night One or a Giant it would be Priority B? That's pretty harsh. What happens if he/she wants to me an Adept or Aspected Magician?

I don't see how Sum To Ten is cheesy but you may have had bad experiences with it.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Feb 7 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

Points or Priority have to be the way to go, IMO. I don't like the karma based way of doing things as characters end up with way too many skills - quite frankly min-maxing is a problem with players not the chargen system - if a player doesn't see the need for well rounded characters, good luck to them.

I'm not sure why I don't like it, but sumto10 *does* seem a bit cheesy... I get the impression it was created *just* to allow for million nuyen, 30 attribute samurai (I know I can achieve the same with points, but it's not quite the same) in response to the "mundane humans get screwed" school of thought.

Fact is, using points allows for the greatest flexibility without allowing the creation of characters with hundreds of medium level skills - a value of about 125 seems about right (any less and mages are disadvantaged over the priority system) and given the additional rules since the BBB was written allows for the unawakened to get some advantages (MA maneouvers, SUT as an active skill, off-hand skills etc).

+Quote Post
Luca
post Feb 7 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
We usually just let the person who wants to play a metavariant purchase "Race" at a one higher priority.

I think this is prettty unfair.
Fomori are clealry less strong then trolls but they cost more.
OK, anybody here prefers roleplaying over powergaming....but nobody wants to be cheated in this way!!!!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 7 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Point - ever since it was introduced in the companion.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 7 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

I likes the BeCKS. I think it creates more generalized and plausible characters.

My real beef is with the Priority system, where you'd be stupid not to max out those primary skills (whatever they are for your character). BeCKS at least makes you suffer for specialization.

As a side note, I tend to run VERY long campaigns, so a slightly less specialized start lets the fun go longer without the characters becoming unstoppable in their chosen field too quickly.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 7 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

We're using a house rule on char gen, saying that only a fair number of skills can be at rating 6, 5, etc.
How many skills are allowed to be at which rating is GM call. Works fine so far and the GM is able to balance the power level of the characters, preventing chars with five skills at 6 in the beginning. If he want to.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 7 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I've done the same type of thing in my games. I typically only allow the use of the Build Point system, but if a player really insists on handicapping himself with Priorities, well, they can go for it.

I really dislike BeCKS, although I can see its appeal for some people.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 7 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #21

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Luca)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 7 2005, 01:05 AM)

OK, anybody here prefers roleplaying over powergaming....but nobody wants to be cheated in this way!!!!

Hey, metahumans USED to be Priority A for Race. Ugh.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Feb 7 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Sum-to-10. I've seen points math-crunched once to often to like it, and priority often seems to limiting, so I think this is damn near the perfect balance.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Feb 7 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Luca @ Feb 7 2005, 06:28 AM)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 7 2005, 01:05 AM)

Hey, metahumans USED to be Priority A for Race. Ugh.

Which actually meant there was reason to be human :)

Now if you've taken your top three priorities as resources, skills and attributes (in no particular order) then from a purely numerical POV then it makes no sense to take Race as D and still be human... hence Sumto10 (which I don't like for that reason).

Players still used Metas in 1st edition even with Priority A *and* compulsory allergies. Sniff. I miss those days.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Feb 7 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Large Mike)
Sum-to-10. I've seen points math-crunched once to often to like it, and priority often seems to limiting, so I think this is damn near the perfect balance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Math Crunched" - surely the whole point is that you *can* sacrifice an attribute for a couple of skill points, or move to the next level of resources. It's flexible but doesn't create characters any more powerful than the default priority system (not like BeCKS...)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 7 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

My group has never done anything but priority.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.