Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suppressive Fire, Deadly in sewers
tisoz
post Feb 7 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Just ran some players through the first part on DNA/DOA. Only one of them brought anything bigger than a heavy pistol and that was a SMG, so they all tok the offered AK97s and AK98s, even though they had no AR skill.

Anyway, they get into the sewer and hit the first firefight against a 6 person gang led by a Street Sam.
[ Spoiler ]

I'm thinking +2 modifiers for using astral perception (all of them had it, but no flashlights), defaulting for using a firearm they don't have the skill for, maybe a few more...

The first guy decides to fire full auto, 10 shots, across the 2 meter wide sewer. So puts 5 bullets in each meter. The gang burns through its combat pool (probably a mistake and should have saved it for the damage resistance test.) Only the St. Sam got enough successes, and that took a reroll. So then the suppressing character makes a standard ranged combat Attack Test against the defender. Apply modifiers only for the attacker's wounds, the target's cover (if any), and a +2 for suppressive fire. So most of the gang takes a moderate or serious wound. The next PC saw how well that worked, so mimics it, 3 more moderate wounds because he missed half the gang, even though they had no combat pool left to dodge.

The next PC is worried about losing intiative and taking return fire in these close quarters, so pours all 10 shots into 1 meter, the one with the St. Sam at serious +3 boxes. It didn't matter that he put all 10 shots into the one meter, because that only matters to the dodge roll. The gang was done dodging this round. But his 2 successes are enough. The only NPC with a starting reaction over 10 is now dead. The next PC sees that the number of bullets don't matter so fires a burst into the 1 meter where the surviving 3 gang members are and kills them all.

Then he asks if he could have done it with one shot? I say no, because then it's a shot, not suppressive fire. Something about killing 3 people with 3 unaimed bullets seemed bad enough, but killing 3 with one bullet seems a bit too much.

Is this silly because of the close confines or did I screw up somewhere?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 7 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Let me put it this way.

If it's a two-meter area, and you're pumping FA fire into it, anyone on the other side should be dying, and fast, regardless of skill.

In other words, you did it properly but I submit that it is not silly.

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 7 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,222

It'd sound somewhat less silly if rates of fire in Shadowrun were more realistic, since we'd then be talking about ~3-6 times as many rounds fired into the same space in the same time.

Still, even 30 rounds fired somewhat accurately into a 2 x 1 meter corridor within a few seconds would indeed cause serious problems to whoever is occupying said corridor at that time.

One thing that perhaps should be taken into account is that if 3 gangers occupy one side of the 2-meter-wide corridor, some of them are probably behind the others. Thus hitting them all would be rather problematic, at least with just 3 rounds fired. Maybe apply a Barrier Rating of (BOD + Armor)/2 of the ganger(s) in front when trying to hit the guys behind, or something of that nature, or just give them some measure of Cover.

Another thing: Thanks to a perceptive Dumpshocker, the latest errata of the Cannon Companion includes this bit: "Page 107: Suppressive Fire [3]
In the third paragraph, in the second sentence add "defaulting," between "attacker's wounds," and "the target's cover""
So your PCs, without any AR skills, should probably not have been hitting the gangers that well.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Feb 7 2005, 10:40 PM

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 7 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

I haven't read the suppressive fire rules, how do they differ from normal fire? If the rules make it so that suppressive fire is better than normal fire, then the rules are definitely silly. You should not be able to kill people better with random fire than with aimed shots.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 7 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

you have to fire a minimum of 6 rounds in order to suppress. so, no, no 1-bullet suppression.

you did it right. the only silly part is that it took 30 rounds in a 2-meter area to kill six people. and even that isn't that silly.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 7 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (James McMurray)
I haven't read the suppressive fire rules, how do they differ from normal fire? If the rules make it so that suppressive fire is better than normal fire, then the rules are definitely silly. You should not be able to kill people better with random fire than with aimed shots.

Suppressive fire negates recoil and visibility on the part of the attacker, and movement penalties on the part of the defender. Your base damage is equal to one bullet (as opposed to staging up the power and damage level). With enough ammunition, suppressive fire is impossible to dodge (since you have to get as many successes on your dodge test as the number of bullets that are shot within the 1 meter area you are crossing). You don't get the benefits of Combat Pool, vision enhancements (like smartlinks), and your wound modifiers still apply. While it is not specifically stated, we rule that you must be standing or crouching and you cannot move when you are using suppressive fire (attackers get a stationary target bonus).

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Feb 7 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Agree with the above. But wanted to point out its 1 meter squares, not linear divisions of space. As in, a sewer thats 2 meters wide, and 2 meters tall, has 4 square meters of space as far as designating surpessive fire. That said, against people standing straight up with the ability to crouch, shooting the lower 2 square meters is a pretty fair move, but theres times when thats not the case.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Feb 7 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (mfb)
you have to fire a minimum of 6 rounds in order to suppress. so, no, no 1-bullet suppression.

you did it right. the only silly part is that it took 30 rounds in a 2-meter area to kill six people. and even that isn't that silly.

It's not, really. In reality, with that kind of low vision and cramped quarters, I'd loose at least that much. You want to make sure they're damn dead, because otherwise they can still do the same back to you.

Really, it's just slightly screwy, but overall, I consider this to be one of the miraculous moments where the SR rules are actually fairly close to reality. This is really not that far from how it should have gone down.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 7 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

oh, yeah, i'd fire 30 rounds just to be sure, too--unless i were playing shadowrun, in whichi case i'd fire 60 rounds just to be sure. in real life, 15-20 rounds or should ought to be enough; the other 10-15 are just to be sure. in SR, it actually takes all 30 rounds to do the job.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 7 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Surpessive fire in an enclosed space is incredibly deadly. Field of fire and zone of control is all that matters, you could be sending 6L rounds down there and it would still chew anybody up similarly to the chunky salsa effect of grenadesIMO.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 8 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

What was that old Shadowtalk line about MPs? Or was it the Supermach?

Something about, "Oh boy, now I can flatten light rounds against body armor faster than ever before."

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 8 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Not to mention how deafening all of these fire fights would be. :dead:

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 8 2005, 01:05 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

haha, yeah. nobody ever considers that.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 8 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #14

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (mfb)
haha, yeah. nobody ever considers that.

I have a Sound Filter. Pfft. *grin* Speaking of which, anyone ever pick up the Deaf flaw?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 8 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

say again?

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 8 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 7 2005, 08:15 PM)
say again?

That has to be one of the worst "bad jokes" I've ever seen around here.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 8 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #17

Free Spirit

Erratta, good. That was one I thought should apply but didn't see.

Now does TN8 still apply for defaulting using suppressive fire? As in can't defualt. Don't see why not.

How about defaulting from chipped skill? I'm guessing that is ok.

I am getting ready to make them make a weapon check to reload. One guy will probably end up reloading all the ARs for the party.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 8 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (tisoz)
Now does TN8 still apply for defaulting using suppressive fire? As in can't defualt. Don't see why not.

It really shouldn't. It isn't like it's brain surgery to point a weapon in a specific direction and hold down the trigger.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 8 2005, 02:18 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (kevyn668)
What was that old Shadowtalk line about MPs? Or was it the Supermach?

Something about, "Oh boy, now I can flatten light rounds against body armor faster than ever before."

That was, iirc, the Ares Crusader MP from the Street Samurai's Catalogue.

We used to "hack" comments in there ourselves... ah, happy days...

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 8 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #20

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Feb 8 2005, 01:06 PM)
Now does TN8 still apply for defaulting using suppressive fire?  As in can't defualt.  Don't see why not.

It really shouldn't. It isn't like it's brain surgery to point a weapon in a specific direction and hold down the trigger.

Charging bolts, selector switches, safeties. A little more than point and shoot.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 8 2005, 03:15 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

only very slightly. anybody who's watched Heat can operate a gun. they won't be able to maintain it, but they'll certainly be able to point it in the right direction, hold down the trigger, and reasonably expect bullets to come out.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 8 2005, 03:25 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

I'm sure it's been done in lots of movies, but there was a scene from one - or maybe it was a book - where the gun-savvy character says to the non-savvy one something like "this is the safety. Push that across, point the gun at the bad guy, pull the trigger until you run out of bullets."

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 8 2005, 03:27 AM
Post #23

Free Spirit

Almost started another topic to discuss when it is appropriate to enforce the defaulting limit, but I'll remind people in this situation they had a visibility modifier and the suppressive fire modifier that put the TN to 8.

Let them default? By the book, no.

[edit] Oops, btb, Yes. Unless I have the gangers dive below the water level seeking some cover. :(

This post has been edited by tisoz: Feb 8 2005, 03:51 AM

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 8 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (tisoz @ Feb 8 2005, 02:27 PM)
but I'll remind people in this situation they had a visibility modifier and the suppressive fire modifier that put the TN to 8.

And this is the reason why I say that suppressive fire should be an exception to the defaulting rules.

I've never used a HMG in my life, but I bet almost anything that I'd be capable of shooting it in a specific direction even in complete darkness while it's raining with a headache if I needed to.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 8 2005, 03:32 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

tisoz, visibility modifiers don't apply to suppressive fire.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 11:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.