IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mages and Stim Patches, are they as bad as everyone thinks?
James McMurray
post Feb 10 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,957

I hear a lot of people saying they would never use stim patches on their awakened characters because they're "bad". However, if used with a little restraint stim patches can be a great way to offset drain.

Using a rating 2 stim patch with a magic rating of 6 gives you a 0.002% chance of failing to roll at least one 2. Should you somehow manage to do that, you still have a only a 27.778% chance of rolling below a 6 on the magic loss test.

Using a rating 3 stim patch you have only a 1.0877% chance of not rolling any 3s.

As your magic rating increases through initiation stim patches become even less scary. At magic rating 9 you have close to a 0% chance of not rolling any 2s. You have a 0.463% chance of not rolling any 3s. At magic 12 you can use a rating 3 stim patch and only have a 17.83% chance of failing.

And of course, as your magic rating grows your karma pool also grows, giving you a reroll or 2 to ensure you don't get screwed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 10 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I thought you had to roll your Magic rating as a TN, thereby starting off with a TN of 6 and only going higher as you initiate.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 10 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Bigity: magic is the target number for the magic loss test, not the stim patch check test, IIRC.

James: You're absolutely right, using one rating 2 or 3 patch is no big deal. But again, IIRC, the ratings of the stim patches are cumulative for purposes of that test, so using four rating 2 patches over the course of a run means that you're checking for loss as though you'd used a rating 2, then a rating 4, then a 6, then an 8.
The other reason they're scary is more psychological. If you start using them and decide that it's okay, you're likely to get used to having them, and WAY more likely to try to use "just one more" and frag yourself.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 10 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Ah, yes that's correct. Knew I was forgetting something in there.

I'd like to add I don't allow KP on rolls like this, including attribute/limb loss from wounds, permanent effects of Black IC, etc.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Feb 10 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

Stimpatches are still a helluva lot less scary than in previous editions where the awakened really had something to fear. Not that I want to get known as someone who points out that magic-users get it better in each successive iteration of the rules :D

I think the key is, everything in moderation. Using the odd one or two when necessary is fine - using them regularly isn't. Besides, aren't there drugs available that have the same effect, but without the magic loss (but with addiction potential) as an alternative.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 10 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #6

Don't get me started on SR addiction rules.
;)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 10 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Bigity: why don't you allow karma pool on attribute / limb loss? I could see not allowing it on stim patch rolls, because its something the character is doing to himself. But why not allow it on the others?

Xirces: I don't want to get into a debate about it n this thread, but my group has seen major toning down of the power level of spellcasters. Just adding cover and movement modifiers to spell target numbers has made the mage much less of a nuke bot.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 10 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Mostly because it gives more of a negative side to serious injuries, and makes players (sometimes) more active in avoiding violence for the sake of violence. ( I have mostly ex-AD&D players who are of the hack and slash variety)

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Feb 10 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Xirces: I don't want to get into a debate about it n this thread, but my group has seen major toning down of the power level of spellcasters. Just adding cover and movement modifiers to spell target numbers has made the mage much less of a nuke bot.

I hoped the smilie would be enough... I don't have any problem with spellcasters and I actually prefer the new rules in almost all ways so there's no debate. It's the "non-spellcasting-or-conjuring-magical-types" that I really don't like :)

I'm also with you on use of the KP - these applications seem made for it (especially burning karma...)

Also, Moon-hawk - I've not used the addiction rules (I've not used any rules really as I've not played SR for 10 years), but they /seem/ OK. What's the problem?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 10 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #10

My problem with addiction rules are their effect turns them into an after school special. Anyone who has any drug with any addiction code in any frequency will eventually become a hopeless addict.
This means that anyone who's had alcohol is doomed to become an alcoholic, and even if you have the lowest reasonable addiction code, 1L, (what's that, like, tylenol?) eventually everyone will be hopelessly addicted to it.
The addiction power goes up after a given number of uses, but there's no time period for that power to decay. It's inevitable.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.