Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I hate rats, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Sure, Rats, No
Weredigo
post Feb 11 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,030

Another Feature of my board, also something picked up from my Gm.

Demon Rats: Attributes and Powers, unknown. Genetic experiment that failed miserabley. An attempt to creat a cockroach with the intellegence of a rat. Instead they got a Rat with the Intellegence, and Survivability of a Cockroach. If encountered, leave alone, do not attract it's attention, and walk away. They can and will consume anything, people, dumpsters, garbage, nuclear waste, vehicles, magick, elementals, spirits, fruitcake, rubber, plastic, kevlar. The only thing they seem to dislike eating is Oricalchum, but they'll still eat it if put in front of thier nose. They are immune to Damage of any kind, and are usually attracted to it. It is especially a bad idea to throw spells at it, they eat magic, and immediately belch it back. (one fellow player threw a fireball at one, it tossed a chaos storm right back, he countered with a Redirect [will send spell right back if successes are equal to or more then the level/force of the spell], Rat tossed back a Manaball +1 Level/Force. I saw instantly it was a losing battle, but he didn't, and so Redirect-Teleport +2, Redirect-Toxic Blast+3, Redirect-Charm+4, BOTCH No Karma available for Save. The Rat Charmed my Buddy and was about to make him into a nice snack. I tried to drag my buddy away, when he resisted I clocked him out cold, threw him on the Bike, and took him to another mage that we knew to have the Charm Removed.)

When I GM I don't actively hunt characters with these, they are just in the background now and then, gnawing on a Dumpster. Until somebody decides to Shoot one. I'm sorry but I think it's common sense, a Rat is eating a Dumpster, I'd leave the thing alone, it's not doing anything to me. Ergo, to shoot at rat or cast spell at it is to draw it's attention, after that it's a simple choice between running away from it, or attempting to out "bad ass" it which will ultimately fail.

The only known way of Killing a rat is to have it fed live to a Dragon, which will ultimately die of indegestion. Thankfully the things do Die of old age eventually, and only reproduce (in which the female ingests the male) at a rate of 2 offspring per life time.

I'm interested to hear what nasty critters Players have faced, and GM's have created.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Feb 11 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

That seems pretty overpowered. Almost along the lines of an orbital cow launcher, except that you can hide underground from the cows.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 11 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Canon Demon Rats are available in YOTC.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 11 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

What 'board' is it that you keep refering to?

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 11 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

What 'board' is it that you keep refering to?

Every human being is different, Ergo every GM is different, Ergo there will be certain differences between the "world" a GM will create for thier game, differences of NPC's, Governments, Corps, Timelines, Critters and such. The "Board" is the term used for those differences. Like my GM I do not rely on the Canon of the Books 100%, Most of the Timeline I do agree with although I do throw in a few things not covered in the timeline.

Canon Demon Rats are available in YOTC.

Well if you or your GM are using the YOTC Rats, then give these rats a different name. Haven't ready anything from YOTC and don't know if there's any differences.

That seems pretty overpowered.

Overpower is balanced by the fact that unless attacked they will leave the characters alone.

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Feb 11 2005, 09:55 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

That sort of answers most of my questions, after a fashion.
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Feb 11 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

A slightly toned down, and I think more interesting idea, would be an awakened cockroach. Make it much larger than a normal cockroach, maybe 2 feet long or so, with complete immunity to radiation and the vast majority of poisons and diseases. Perhaps even give it an allergy to clean air and water. High body, and amazing reflexes, perhaps giving it double the normal combat pool for dodge tests only. Able to eat virtually any organic matter. An infestation of the things would be a fun thing for runners to fight... perhaps they're eating through wooden buildings or rubber tires.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 11 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

ROTFLMAO... I like that Idea. Go ahead and let the characters waste thier ammo at trying to shoot the things, out of ammo they go for thier melee weapons, after passing out of exhaustion several hours later they should realize that some critters are best left alone.

+Quote Post
U_Fester
post Feb 11 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,863

YES!!!! I can't wait. Thanks for the great idea. Now to scare the heck out of some players. And they thought they had it easy stuck in a room with ghouls on the outside trying to break there only door down while rats where eating there way through the walls.. muuuuhahahahahahahahahahaha

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 11 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Even a dragon can be taken down by these things. Hmmm, seems broken to me. If these things breed at all then eventually they will take over the world. There has to be some limit. But, like you said, not every GM plays the same game.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 11 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #11

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Even a dragon can be taken down by these things. Hmmm, seems broken to me. If these things breed at all then eventually they will take over the world. There has to be some limit. But, like you said, not every GM plays the same game.

actually, they wouldnt, since the males are consumed for reproduction, and the females will only ever produce two offspring, and they can die of old age., actually, this rat would go extinct VERY fast.

consider a starting population of 4 rats 2 male, two female. Each female consumes one male, and then produces one rat again, lets say they're both males. They again consume both males, , and this time, one has a male, and the other a female. At this point, both older females have had as many offspring as they can, and they can essentially be written off as dead. So now you're down to two. one male, an the female, who eats the male has another rat-baby, and it this point, it doesnt matter the gender. if it's a male, the female has had all of the offspring she can. if it's a female, there are no males left to consume. end of line once they two rats natural lifespan ends.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 11 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

You only gave the 2nd generation female one offspring.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 11 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #13

because it doesnt matter at that point. no matter what happens with the last female. If she has a female first, the line ends there, no more males to eat. If she has a male first, she can have one more offspring, but again, it doesnt matter. If it's a male, she can't have any more offspring. if its a female, well, there arent any more males to reproduce with.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 11 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Ah, read it as two births per lifetime not meaning just one offspring per birth.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 11 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #15

well, he said 2 offspring per lifetime, so i would rule that as no more tha two baby rats per mother in her life. Whether that could happen as twins or not would be debateble i suppose, but in the end, it wouldnt affect the math.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 11 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Nah, twins wouldn't make much of a difference.

Makes me wonder how fast the real Demon Rats breed though.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 11 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Demon Rats only give birth twice each week.

~J

+Quote Post
U_Fester
post Feb 11 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,863

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Demon Rats only give birth twice each week.

~J

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #19

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (JaronK)
A slightly toned down, and I think more interesting idea, would be an awakened cockroach. Make it much larger than a normal cockroach, maybe 2 feet long or so, with complete immunity to radiation and the vast majority of poisons and diseases. Perhaps even give it an allergy to clean air and water. High body, and amazing reflexes, perhaps giving it double the normal combat pool for dodge tests only. Able to eat virtually any organic matter. An infestation of the things would be a fun thing for runners to fight... perhaps they're eating through wooden buildings or rubber tires.

JaronK

Cockroach Spirit?

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 11 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

No, just a f-in' big bug...

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Feb 11 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Another Feature of my board, also something picked up from my Gm.

Demon Rats: Attributes and Powers, unknown. Genetic experiment that failed miserabley. An attempt to creat a cockroach with the intellegence of a rat. Instead they got a Rat with the Intellegence, and Survivability of a Cockroach. If encountered, leave alone, do not attract it's attention, and walk away. They can and will consume anything, people, dumpsters, garbage, nuclear waste, vehicles, magick, elementals, spirits, fruitcake, rubber, plastic, kevlar. The only thing they seem to dislike eating is Oricalchum, but they'll still eat it if put in front of thier nose. They are immune to Damage of any kind, and are usually attracted to it. It is especially a bad idea to throw spells at it, they eat magic, and immediately belch it back. (one fellow player threw a fireball at one, it tossed a chaos storm right back, he countered with a Redirect [will send spell right back if successes are equal to or more then the level/force of the spell], Rat tossed back a Manaball +1 Level/Force. I saw instantly it was a losing battle, but he didn't, and so Redirect-Teleport +2, Redirect-Toxic Blast+3, Redirect-Charm+4, BOTCH No Karma available for Save. The Rat Charmed my Buddy and was about to make him into a nice snack. I tried to drag my buddy away, when he resisted I clocked him out cold, threw him on the Bike, and took him to another mage that we knew to have the Charm Removed.)

When I GM I don't actively hunt characters with these, they are just in the background now and then, gnawing on a Dumpster. Until somebody decides to Shoot one. I'm sorry but I think it's common sense, a Rat is eating a Dumpster, I'd leave the thing alone, it's not doing anything to me. Ergo, to shoot at rat or cast spell at it is to draw it's attention, after that it's a simple choice between running away from it, or attempting to out "bad ass" it which will ultimately fail.

The only known way of Killing a rat is to have it fed live to a Dragon, which will ultimately die of indegestion. Thankfully the things do Die of old age eventually, and only reproduce (in which the female ingests the male) at a rate of 2 offspring per life time.

I'm interested to hear what nasty critters Players have faced, and GM's have created.

Um, and let's add gods to the game. Look, this just may be me, but one of the best things about shadowrun is that you can kill anything. ghostwalker, is killable if you plan long enough,have enough fire power and don't plan on seeing the next day.

These rats are plot devices,at best and Dues Ex Machina the rest of the time.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 11 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

QUOTE (Cynic project)

Um, and let's add gods to the game. Look, this just may be me, but one of the best things about shadowrun is that you can kill anything. ghostwalker, is killable if you plan long enough,have enough fire power and don't plan on seeing the next day.

These rats are plot devices,at best and Dues Ex Machina the rest of the time.

It's not just you. I had exactly the same reaction when I read this writeup. Dunkelzahn was apparently easier to kill than these creations. Toss these in the same trash bin as that so-called trap of doom he came up with in the Traps thread. If that sounds harsh, then too damn bad. Post something that's actually supportable in Shadowrun Canon and Genre if you want something other than disdain.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 11 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

You mean like Harlequin, Scale, and any of a large number of other canon walking talking plot devices / Deus Ex Machninae?

Every NPC on the planet is a plot device. Yeah, most of them can be killed, but not all of them.

Heck, most pieces of inanimate matter that make it farther into the scenario than the flavor text are also plot devices.

People around here like to say that Shadowrun is different from that other game, but from what I've read there's more "Ultimate NPCs" running around the 6th world than there are in the Forgotten Realms, aka the demi-plane of NPC plot devices.

And at least all of those FR chraracters at least have stats. Sure, they're ungodly powerful stats, but they're stats. Something that can't be said for the Ultimate NPCs in Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 12 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #24

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

They give a base line stats for the average Great Dragon and every other critter including metahumans. Everything else is left up to the GM.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 12 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Except in those instances where it says "NPC ___ has no stats. he can easily surpass the runners". Scale (one of Lofwyr's agents) and Harlequin are two examples of that. I'm sure there are others out there.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.