IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Humanis Policlub, Help please! I need info.
Sig
post Feb 11 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,078

I'm trying to start/play a character as a member of the Humanis Policlub, but I haven't been able to find any kind of real info on them. If anyone could direct me to a site with info on the Policlub I'd be very grateful. Thanks all, stay frosty!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

So you want to play a member of one of the most violent, racist groups in the UCAS? (Well, that's publicly "accepted," at least.)

Well. They hate anything not mundane human. They use any instance they can to kill non-mundane humans ("But Officer! He was sharpening those knives awfully threateningly.") or harass them to no end.

Pretty much, take the KKK and multiply it a few dozen times and make it "publicly cool."

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 11 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Set it up so that the hierarchy's identity is hidden from the membership, and set up cells in all the major cities that have communication but no knowledge of the other groups' membership or illegal works.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 11 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Actually, on the face, Humanis is not violent or racist. They are merely "pro-human", and seek to protect the rights of regular joe humans from those metahumans who are stealing jobs (who wants to hire a puny human for warehouse work when a troll can do the same job...without a forklift), being too beautiful (elves), or whatever percieved vice people can think of blaming somebody else for.

Alamos 20k is the violent front of Humanis, as in they do all the dirty work.

Outside of the shadows, the average person (at least human) thinks Humanis isn't so bad, which is something they probably go to great, great lengths to protect.

People in the shadows know better though.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Eh, not so much. The riots outside of Ghoultown weren't so much Alamos but more Humanis-fronted (publicly and privately).

Humanis can be quite violent -- when the time calls.

'Sides, I don't think a member of Humanis would last long in the shadows. They'd either see the error of their ways or die messily.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 11 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i disagree, if only because having all Humanis runners die quickly makes for a much prettier, nicer SR than i prefer.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 11 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Just wait ill you get an orc street doc and he see's the humanis medallion

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 11 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #8

Guests

Why? So you can rp the experience of him disregarding it because money's money?

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #9

Chrome to the Core

Even ork street docs won't do certain things for money. While money is good, being able to tell your other clients that you won't help a Humanis member generally puts you in better standing with the (meta)humans that hate Humanis.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 11 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

i don't think most street docs can afford to turn down a paying customer. not only that, but some of those street docs might even take their oaths seriously. besides, Humanis and orks have one thing in common: numbers. not caring for that one Humanis will more than likely bring the rest down on your head. your friends might avenge you, sure, but that's not going to make you any less dead. i don't see most ork street docs turning down someone just because they're Humanis.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 11 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

But maybe the rent's come due, or the Yaks are coming around to hit him up for protection money, or with this payment he could afford that <expensive medical gear> he's had his eye on, or his own litter of kids all have the neo-chicken pox (or whatever) and need meds he can't get ahold of without a little cred. Or maybe it's just that the patient's Humanis buddies are in the waiting room reloading their guns.

There are all kinds of reasons for the ork street doc to knuckle under, swallow his pride and treat a Humanis thug who's got the nuyen.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #12

Chrome to the Core

Yes, but if none of those reasons apply, he might just tell him to slot off.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 11 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Or there could be a tragic and unavoidable accident. It all depends on the GM, player, and what they want....

+Quote Post
Traks
post Feb 11 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

There are lots of policlub haters in my group.
Why oh why no one wants to play one of them?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 11 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

he might. but Humanis isn't just a group of people who all hate the same thing--it's a network of people who help each other hate the same thing. there are, more than likely, plenty of Humanis-affiliated street docs out there, especially considering that humans tend to get much better educational opportunities than, say, orks.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 11 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #16

Chicago Survivor

I'm thinking you'd gain the cranial bomb flaw. might not be in your head, but I could see an ork street doc planting somethign. I know I as a human would to someone like that if I had the opportunity and the training to do so. Though chances are, you wouldn't get a meta street doc, just some back alley butcher with a rusty knife and a bottle of stoley.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 11 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

QUOTE (Nikoli)
some back alley butcher with a rusty knife and a bottle of stoley.

Kind of a good description of a street doc, if you ask me.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 11 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

Well, they do range from that extreme to the near saintly types that do everything in their power to provide decent health care to the downtrodden and destitute.

Problem is, when you patch someone up, you'll either make some friends or make some enemies, depending on who put the person there in the first place and who the person knows.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 11 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

As long as everyone gets the same treatment the Doc is safe, as soon as one class or type of person gets different treatment all bets are off.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 11 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (tanka)
Even ork street docs won't do certain things for money.

That's a pretty broad generalization which cannot reasonably be true.

+Quote Post
algcs
post Feb 11 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,871

QUOTE (Sig)
I'm trying to start/play a character as a member of the Humanis Policlub.

Are you planning to play the typical clueless Humanis member that thinks the world is changing to fast and normal mudanes need to step in and control things before they get out of hand? Did a metahuman take ur job? Do you need a place on the pile? Or do you want a Alamo 20k member? (Is the pile how Alamo 20k got their name? :eek: )

And not all Humanis members have to hate all meta-humans. I like playing elf hating characters as much as I like playing elves. Elves after all are the real danger. Orks and Trolls may be ugly but they don't go off and make their own countries.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 11 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

I'm not sure anyone has actually answered your question.

As far as I know there are no web resources that spefically address the Humanis Policlub as a whole, or making characters that have Polic Club, let alone Humanis, back grounds.

The following texts contain what I would think of as useful information: Threats which contains a section specifically dedicated to the extreme end of Humanis, Alamos 20K. It also has a write up on the Human Nation.

The NeoAnarchists Guide to Nrth America, and the CAS section in it has some information, as well as a few tidbits in the original Seattle Sourcebook, and it's pale comparison the New Seattle book.

Lone Star has some peripheral information as well. CFS will have some information in it for you. I'd check over Target: UCAS and the adventures too-as I never keep track of what in those.

Hopefully that helps. Would you care to outline the character for us here? I'd be interested in seeing your concept.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 11 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

among the ma-and-pa-wilson type Humanis members, the prevailing view probably has less to do with keeping the metahumans down than it does with raising the humans up. many members of Humanis probably view the organization as being more aking to the NAACP than the KKK, in terms of agenda and motivation. (many members of the KKK probably feel the same way, though they'd certainly resent the comparison.) it is, for many people, less about hating people different from you than it is about helping people the same as you.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 11 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

The majority of Humanis branches are like Moose lodges, in a way... a bunch of old white farts who sit around and drink beer, playing poker on Tuesdays, having a barbecue every month. In their eyes, they are doing nothing wrong... after all, Orks have MOM, why can't humans have their own lobby group? A typical Humanis member would probably loathe violence (unless it was absolutely necessary... a Humanis member would probably be convinced to participate in the riots outside of the Chicago CZ, simply to protect his/her own families from the bugs), grant money to charity organizations, and oppose Affirmative Action-type legislation, etc. For every 10 "normal" people like that, there is probably one person with more radical ideas (sterilization, etc.)... and when you have a support network that can get those people together, you end up with Human Nation, Alamos 20k, and other militant organizations.

And remember, the KKK in the United States used to be an accepted social group, even "heroic" in some cases. D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" certainly portrayed them in this manner. There wasn't the stigma attached to being a KKK member as there is today.

A good description of the non-violent Humanis member is in Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book. This person would probably decry the actions of his more radical compatriots (the ones wearing the hoods and marching down the streets) as violent actions of violent men, but would secretly sympathize with their cause.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 11 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #25

Chicago Survivor

Also, mob mentality plays into this as well. 9 of 10 times, you take anyone alone from that group, separate them from the others and calm them down and they act with civility, regardless of underlying emotions. Mobs are dangerous things, they have a will all their own that many scientists have earned their degrees writing about.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.