> Hacker Creation 101, Learning to love decking... kinda
JudgeIto78
post Feb 14 2005, 01:04 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,866

Hey everyone,

First off, I'm sure this has been asked and done a million times before. I did a search and could not find anything within the last 2 months about it, so I feel safe asking. Here's my problem...

I have never made a cybered character before, let alone a decker. I have been recently thrown into the role (somewhat willingly) and I'm am trudging through the matrix rules in the Core book as well as the Matrix source. While the thing reads like a Linux code book in ancient Sumerian to me, I am trying to figure out what exactly the basic components (besides deck and datajack) that I will need to be a competent starting decker?

This means what other cyberware, programs, etc, I should be buying and what rating to buy them at. So far I have a custom deck (basically the difference b/w a Renraku Kraftwerk and a CMT Avatar; due to availability issues) an induction jack, and a Math SPU (b/c Encephelon was bit too much money and essence cost, but still rating 3).

Any suggestions or ideas for which way I should be heading would be helpful.

Also, I was wondering whether you all thought that the flaw of "Combat Paralysis" would apply to matrix combat as well.

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 14 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the first piece of cyber you want, besides a datajack, is a math SPU. it's cheap, it's low essence, and you add its rating directly to your hacking pool. other than that, there's really not much that you need--if you have the cash, grab an encephalon, but don't sweat it if you can't.

for programs, the first thing you need is a Sleaze program at the highest rating you can get (your MPCP is the limit). Sleaze makes it hard for systems to detect you when you're doing bad things. Deception is next, also max rating; Deception gets you into systems--if you can't get in, you can't do anything.

after that, a Validate program is probably your best bet. Validate lets you make false accounts on a host, which in turn lets you perform all kinds of operations without being spotted, and also raises the TN to hit you in cybercombat. if you do get into combat, you'll want a decent attack program (5M is probably all you need, for starters), an Armor program (max this out if possible), and maybe a Shield program. at that point, you're probably out of cash. if not, pick up a decent Cloak program; Cloak lets you escape cybercombat, which is really handy.

those are pretty much the basics, off the top of my head.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Feb 14 2005, 01:57 AM
Post #3

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

A thread you might find useful is the Idiot's Guide To The Matrix. It also links through to a number of other matrix related topics as well.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Feb 14 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Are we forgetting Read/Write? And how's a guy to take over an elevator without the proper proggies?

+Quote Post
TransistorRadio
post Feb 14 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,436

A slightly older thread, here, contains a fairly good walk through of decking different systems, the symbology, and the rolls involved. It's a long thread, but a good read.

Do you have access to the Matrix book or are you going pureing BBB? The reason I ask is some of the mods you can perform even on a basic budget (like pure DNI vs no, etc).

What is the theme of your character? How does she/she/they approach the Matrix?

[EDIT] looks like someone already beat me to the thread link. Oh well. [/EDIT]

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 14 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

if you can validate a user-level account, you can read and write or control an elevator without a program.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Feb 14 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

I suppose you have a point. You'll just have to excuse my School, it has some dust on it.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Feb 14 2005, 03:26 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

I suppose that makes sense. If you get an account validated, it's better than having to attempt read/write rolls every time you want to do something.

+Quote Post
JudgeIto78
post Feb 14 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (TransistorRadio)
Do you have access to the Matrix book or are you going pureing BBB? The reason I ask is some of the mods you can perform even on a basic budget (like pure DNI vs no, etc).

What is the theme of your character? How does she/she/they approach the Matrix?

Hey, just got back from a movie, sorry about late reply:

First off, thanks for all the responses, mfb in particular, for letting me get the basics...

Second, I have access to pretty much all the books, including Core, Companion, Matrix, and I guess the Johnson's Little Black Book has some quick matrix rules we may use to "speed up" the hacking when on runs. So let me know what mods you want me to look at and I'll do so.

As for the theme of my character, I pretty much want her to be a "club dj/decker" who just happens to Shadowrun on the side. Complete rave/club culture seeker in search of truth and finding who will pay the most for it. :nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

Oh, and for a visual... I'm basing her on Morgan Webb :love:

Let me know if you need more info

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 14 2005, 04:11 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 13 2005, 09:31 PM)
if you can validate a user-level account, you can read and write or control an elevator without a program.

Unlikely. There's a good chance that Security-level access would be required to manipulate the elevators in any way more powerful than pressing the buttons remotely, and even remote calls probably wouldn't be implemented most places.

~J

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Feb 14 2005, 04:32 AM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Analyze and Browse are important ones too. Without them you won't even be able to find the host or subsystem you need to cheat--I mean Validate--your way into.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 14 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

only if the GM customizes the account types, kage. i do, but i'm probably one of the few. according to the basic account info in Matrix, though, Control Slave is a personal-level operation.

with any luck, the next matrix update will introduce some down sides to decking with a valid account, so Validate won't be the only program most deckers need anymore.

you don't need to locate subsystems, though--you can't locate a subsystem, as a matter of fact. once you've validated an account, Locate Access Node is a freebie.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 14 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Control Slave is clearly marked with an asterisk, though, signaling to the GM to consider if the operation in question will be automatic for any given instance; automatic Read/Write doesn't give you the admin's mailbox, for instance. While a particularly lenient GM might allow it, I'd suggest that it's not unreasonable to consider it not working the most likely behavior.

Incidentally, for anyone who cares I made houserules for validate such that the Validate program can only be used on the main list of users, after some Searches, possibly some jumps to different hosts depending on where such data is kept, and potentially a Decrypt or Read/Write test is made. It's still an extremely powerful option, but one now faces the question as to whether it is more effective to straight deck or try to hack an account. Under the current rules, anything but a single test is a no-brainer.

~J

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Feb 14 2005, 05:56 AM
Post #14

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (mfb)
you don't need to locate subsystems, though--you can't locate a subsystem, as a matter of fact. once you've validated an account, Locate Access Node is a freebie.

Right, but I seriously doubt that many people are prepared to validate an account on each and every host in a tiered system, so browse is almost certainly still useful. As is Analyze, in particular for recognizing VMs and trapdoors.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 14 2005, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

sure, validate's not going to be the only program you ever have to use, and it's going to be less useful on hardcore systems. but for a starting decker, it's really just about the only thing he needs.

+Quote Post
JudgeIto78
post Feb 14 2005, 06:21 AM
Post #16

Target

Yeah, so umm...

I have no idea what anyone above is saying or talking about, but I'm just going to use mfb's first post as a guidline and see what my GM says about it.

Is there anything else I may need?

Also, did anyone have an answer for the flaw question I originally posted?

Thanks again

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 14 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

i'd say no.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 14 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

I'd say it probably would or, if not, then the flaw would cost less.

~J

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 14 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #19

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

Since it comes out and says it applies to cybercombat...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 14 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

does it? guess i'd say yes, then.

+Quote Post
JudgeIto78
post Feb 14 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #21

Target

I didn't know whether "Cybercombat" meant Matrix battles or combat with cyberwear. Guess that clears it...

and mfb, I couldn't find the "validate" program anywhere, what book and pg is it on?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 14 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

It is in Matrix, in the utilities section. I don't have it with me right now though, sorry.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 14 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Validate is in Matrix, Page 71.

~J

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 14 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

So sayeth the source.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 14 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

matrix, page--damn!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.