Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moderate use of drugs
Jebu
post Feb 15 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,130

The drug/addiction rules don't allow the body metabolism to get rid of the drug, which leads to silly things. If you have a drug with addiction rating 2, and pre-addiction edge of 2, and use one dose every 5 years, your addiction rating will be 6 after 35 years, and bang, you might well get addicted. I know runners won't have a life-expectancy of 35 years, but the example is just trying to point out the non-existence of any possibility of reasonable drug use.

I haven't yet thought this out completely, but I'd like to see addiction rating decreasing over time, if you haven't been addicted yet. After addiction just stick to the rules of (forced) withdrawal.

Let's say the addiction rating will decrease after 10 x addiction rating in days. Of course the addiction rating couldn't drop below the original. Take Kamikaze for example. It has addiction rating of 5, and pre-addiction edge of 2. So, you could take 2 doses of Kamikaze, your addiction rating would increase to 6, and after waiting for 60 days (10 x current addiction ratting) it would drop back to 5. Naturally taking more doses would cancel the waiting period, even if the addiction rating doesn't increase.

This all is meant for physically addictive drugs. Mental addiction works differently in real life, but for simplicity I might try using this for mental addiction rating also.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 15 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #2

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Use Natural Immunity: Drug of Choice. At the 3 pt level, the PC gets to ignore the ill effects of an artificial drug.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

One way or another, your waiting period is way too low IMO. I'm up in the air as to whether it should drop at all. Keep in mind that these things are more on the scale of ultra-morphine than any modern street drug I'm aware of.

~J

+Quote Post
Charon
post Feb 15 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

I don't think drugs are meant to be used nicely and rationnally.

It's one thing for a player to think, 'hmm, my PC is being tracked by two Yakuza hitmen. But if I use my kamikaze now, the addiction is currently 6 and I face a high risk of failure while if I wait two more weeks it will drop back to 5... I think I can take them. Without the Kamikaze'

But for a character to have the same reasoning is madness. That character would be scared. Having used Kamikaze in the past to win fights, he probably starts to doubt his ability to pull out of dangerous situations without it, even before the addiction kicks in.

It's pretty much impossible to force a player to separate metagaming from roleplaying. But at least you can, in that particular case, prevent the worse offense by not allowing for a decrease in the addiction.

Drug use is meant to have a price otherwise it wouldn't be very cyberpunkish. IMO.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 15 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

And a lot of drugs (crack, alcohol, heroin) keep the used addicted for life once they try it. People who have been clean for years will "fall off the wagon" under stress, often quite easily. I don't think the lack of a reduction is unreasonable at all, and the Metagaming doesn't bother me at all.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 15 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

except that, despite what Nancy Reagan wants you to think, there are lots and lots of lots of people who use crack, alchohol, and heroin regularly, yet never let it get out of control. in SR, that's simply not possible. i think the edge ratings of SR drugs should be multiplied by about 5, and that users should be able to make a body or willpower test to reduce the edge rating, if they go for a fix factor without using.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Again, I submit that the SR drugs have effects on the body very significantly more pronounced than crack, alcohol, or heroin.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 15 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

okay. but where are the crack, alcohol, and heroin rules, then?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

I'm arguing that there aren't any present in Shadowrun.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 15 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #10

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Again, I submit that the SR drugs have effects on the body very significantly more pronounced than crack, alcohol, or heroin.

~J

Agreed.

When was the last time you knew a heroin addict that was stronger, could take more hits, faster and had pain resistance simply from one dose?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 15 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

so... there's no casual drug use in SR, then? i don't buy that.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

In the Shadowrun rules. Actually, canon is that BTLs have edged out traditional drugs, but I don't buy that either; I do buy that traditional drugs do not have a significant enough effect to need to be enforced beyond roleplaying.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 15 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

eh. i'm a completist. if you're going to have rules for a thing, have rules for it.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Feb 15 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

When was the last time you knew a heroin addict that was stronger, could take more hits, faster and had pain resistance simply from one dose?
Heroin no. PCP, yes.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 15 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
In the Shadowrun rules. Actually, canon is that BTLs have edged out traditional drugs, but I don't buy that either; I do buy that traditional drugs do not have a significant enough effect to need to be enforced beyond roleplaying.

~J

Doesn't Underworld Sourcebook give several references of criminal groups that deal in drugs? These references refer to only the listed canon drugs? That seems a bit lame to me, as well as unplausible.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

You're right, there are references to drug use still being in the game. However, it also says
[…]BTLs tend to be the controlled substance of choice on the streets nowadays[…]

~J

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 15 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #17

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

It honestly depends on the type of drug. Opiates (i.e. heroin) and alcohol, for example, produce irreversible changes in neurochemistry that make the addict physiologically addicted to the substance, as well as increase the tolerance to the effect. While physiological addiction can be overcome, the tolerance and the potential for addiction never decrease. However, once you are at that point, your body starts to crap out anyway... most of the traditional therapies focus on the Mental addiction component which is harder to kick BUT treatable. There are a lot of genetic factors involved as well... most of the good studies involve alcoholics and inheritance of the susceptibility to alcoholism.

I'd say that using genetech to "cleanse" the body can reduce addiction factors, but the body's "metabolism" (which is an inaccurate term in the context of addiction medicine) never does. In other words, I'd uphold the ruling in the book.

As far as current drugs, just use the Street Drugs table and find the appropriate analog. I think that every class of drug is represented on that table, with reasonable effects compared to modern-day drugs.

Bliss = Opiate-based Drugs (heroin, painkillers)
Burn = large doses of Alcohol
Cram/Kamikaze = Meth, amphetamines
Novacoke = Cocaine
Zen = LSD, other hallucinogens, prescription anti-psychotic abuse
Deepweed = Duh.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 15 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #18

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
You're right, there are references to drug use still being in the game. However, it also says
[…]BTLs tend to be the controlled substance of choice on the streets nowadays[…]

~J

"If some unemployed punk in New Jersey, can get a cassette to make love to Elle McPherson for $19.95, this virtual reality stuff is going to make crack look like Sanka."
-Dennis Miller, on virtual reality

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 15 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

the problem is, as i recall, BTLs are just as deadly as street drugs. low edge rating, low fix factor, high addiction rating.

+Quote Post
Jebu
post Feb 15 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 2,130

Some arguments were made that addictions lasts for life, and that the drugs make irreversible changes to the addicts neural system. But I was looking for a way to avoid automatically getting addicted because of endlessly increasing TN's, by using the substances seldom enough. I agree I set the conditions on lowering addiction rating too low, but that was meant to give an idea of what I was thinking about.

And about metagaming, it happens if it happens. In other words, a single rule won't suddenly make metagamers pop out of nowhere, they could already take couple doses of any useful drug, and move to next drug, to avoid higher TN's.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 15 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Keep in mind that was straight media B.S. Anyone who believes in that kinda drek 100% deserves the way of the do-do.

As far as taking drugs recreationally without having an effect If they state the usage somewhere in thier background I'll allow Tobacco, Alcohol, Marijuana. But anything else is fair game. For instance I get a Player who's character makes a habit of snorting coke, or shooting heroine, that characters life expectancy is questionable unless they can kick the habit. Users of BTL chips have no life expectancy, something that addictive and the user will do ANYTHING for the money to go out and buy some more.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 15 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

yes, werendigo, but you hate players with a passion normally reserved for nazis and boiled spinach. under normal circumstances, someone with a mild coke habit shouldn't always end up OD'ing and cacking out within five years.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Keep in mind that was straight media B.S. Anyone who believes in that kinda drek 100% deserves the way of the do-do.

Dude. The post was made by X-Star. Former Lone Star cop, Shadowrunner, and frequent Shadowland poster. "Straight media B.S."? I think not.

~J

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 15 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Incorrect. I love players with the love of a crotchetty Grampa with a really large inheritance going to someone and trying to figure out how much to give each since a few will make good use of it while others would blow the whole thing on a trip to vegas.
someone with a mild coke habit shouldn't always end up OD'ing and cacking out within five years.

Correct, I agree, however While under the effects of the drug Temporary Attribute modifiers should be applied for X number of hours in the game, at the end of which different Temporary Attribute modifiers should be applied for another X number of hours in the game.

Dude. The post was made by X-Star. Former Lone Star cop, Shadowrunner, and frequent Shadowland poster. "Straight media B.S."? I think not.

Yeah but the it appeared as if it were taken straight out of the SR1, will dig it out and scan it later tonight to see if it was.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Even if it is, the fact that X-Star states it gives it a lot of credence no matter who said it first.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.