IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Totems, what do you think?
should environmental issues affect totems
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 55
Guests cannot vote 
torzzzzz
post Feb 17 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #1

It's for winners

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,067

:D

Ok after starting a lively discussion about the effects of cold on the snake totem i thought i would start a new thread about what you all think should affect a totem, it dosent have to be in cannon i just want your opinions about it.

For instance - i personally think that climate and environment should have some affect on your totem even if its a non magical effect.

what do you lot think?

torz x :spin:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 17 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,486

I've already stated what I think in the other thread. Following a Totem is following the ideology, not emulating the animal.

+Quote Post
vapor
post Feb 17 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 7,046

think of it this way-- do christians go around dressed as jesus, walk on water, and cast demons out of pigs?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 17 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I voted Maybe, because environments like Toxic Domains (by Canon) do affect totems.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Feb 17 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I voted no but i make the proviso that some totems may have listed benefits or restriction based on domains and or climate. (for example if you follow a idol that is a storm got your totem bonus could be +2 to spell casting and conjuring when in a storm domain, and I can see somebody following lazy cat and taking a penalty to spell casting in cold or uncomfortable situations(most of the time on a run)).

Edward

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Feb 17 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

Maybe. Some totems are (or should be) environment specific, and the surroundings should affect them. Others aren't, and shouldn't be affected. Depends on if you're a shaman of some type of animal/being, or of a force/element.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Feb 17 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #7

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (toturi)
I voted Maybe, because environments like Toxic Domains (by Canon) do affect totems.

Well IMO that's a bit backwards. In that case your magic does weird things in a toxic domain because the domain is toxic, not because your totem is unhappy.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Feb 17 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Well, yeah, but if a toxic Wolf shaman interacts with his totem, I doubt it would be the Wolf that a normal shaman would recognize. It would, at the least, seem like a different aspect of the totem.

That said, the local environmental conditions aren't affecting the totem on an entire scale; because the Wolf shaman who isn't in a toxic zone can interact with Wolf just fine, despite what Wolf the toxic shaman is dealing with.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 17 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #9

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I think it makes sense to RP the effects, but not to apply in game penalties. Your snake shaman is still a mammal, so even if he doesn't like the cold, he's not in special danger of going into a coma.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Feb 17 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

I agree, I don't think it reflects game penalties either. Also, keep in mind that the totems are mythical entities. Snake is not just a simple snake. While he might seem miserable or grumpy when interacting with shaman who are in domains that aren't to his liking, he's not going to die like a normal snake or anything.

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Feb 17 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

I feel that unless specified by the Totem entry any enviromental effects should be roleplay only.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Feb 17 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

I remember me being highly baked one day and coming up with a whole slew of Totems and Evolved totems. Some of which were greatly affected by their enviroment. *tries to find the link and will edit it in*

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Feb 17 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (vapor)
demons out of pigs?

Actually, it is into pigs.

Anyhow, it has been said well that totems are mythical entities and personifications of ideals represented by certain animals, so I won't continue down that direction. Some totems could be directly weather/environment-related, so that would make sense for them to be affected in that way. I'm going to vote no but put up the disclaimer that that isn't referring to totems that specifically deal with that stuff.

Also, on a random totem rant, why is it that Cyote is "strictly a north american totem"? Wouldn't it have been better for them to just say that "In places other than North America, Cyote is referred to as 'Jackal'"? I don't know if there is an official Jackal out there, but the Cyote of SR3 and NA myth seems to mesh well with Jackal from various African traditions.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 17 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #14

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Shhh, that's a joke from Little Running Gag, a shaman out of the steppes....

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 17 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

In my honest opinion I don't think the outside environment should effect a totem. Rather it should be the inside environment. The shaman in question, their actions, attitude, and living condition, should reflect that of the totem.

Is there anything on a Turtle totem?

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 17 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #16

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Weredigo)

It is in MitS.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Feb 17 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

No there are no turtle totems as far as I can think of.
But making Totems is fun and easy.

Turtle Totem
Domain:In or near fresh water, ponds streams, rivers.
Demeanor: Tutles are generally slow on the offense, and more inclined to a strong defense. They enjoy the simple pleasures in life, food, swimming, and relaxing. When push comes to shove, they go with the flow and out last it.

Bonus: +1 die to summoning water spirits +1 die to health spells +2 die to barrier and armor spells.
Negatives: -1 to Inititive, and Pacifist must roll Will vs TN 6 to become the aggressor in a situation.

Snapping Turtle
Domain: In or near Fresh Water, lakes ponds, rivers streams.
Demeanor: Snapping turtles are fiercely aggressive when their territory is threatened. Prone to attacking first and thinking about it later. Lethargic at times when not riled.
Bonus: +1 die to Water spirits +2 die to Combat spells +1 die to Barrier and Armor spells
Negative: When personal space is threatened, Will vs TN 6 to avoid going into a rage and attacking whatever is intruding with the most powerful means possible. -1 die to social interactions where calm and thinking would prevail.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Feb 17 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 17 2005, 02:00 PM)

It is in MitS.

Oops, guess my memory is bad :) Oh well I made a new turtle.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 17 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
Also, on a random totem rant, why is it that Cyote is "strictly a north american totem"? Wouldn't it have been better for them to just say that "In places other than North America, Cyote is referred to as 'Jackal'"? I don't know if there is an official Jackal out there, but the Cyote of SR3 and NA myth seems to mesh well with Jackal from various African traditions.

Coyotes only occur in NA. Jackals are a whole different species, and much badder asses IMO.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.