Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR MUSH, Text. RP. And you.
Rolemodel
post Feb 18 2005, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,094

I'm one of what I assume to be a minority of RP'rs that have little to no tabletop interaction due to all sorts of constraints on time, and location, but have managed to find a little niche in the online experience instead. I'm curious, then, about how many of you out there have ever heard of a MUSH, or even played on one?

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, it's more or less a text based genre of gaming centered around what I believe is some Unix hold over code - Generally speaking, it's a 24/7 tabletop style game w/ multiple members of staff holding the position of the GM, with a playerbase of various archetypes in a roleplaying enforced environment.

I don't think it'd be appropriate to turn this into a plug/advertisement for any specific sites out there, but I'm certainly curious as to where most of you stand.

Particularly after reading how pointedly articulate many of you are. I'd encourage you to check it out, if you haven't. I've seen some prose that would make Gibson go green with envy out there.

-Rolemodel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 18 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Guests

I've gamed exclusively online on Shadowland for over ten (almost eleven) years.

I like it, clearly, since I can play and GM whoever and whatever I want.

Plus, the person who created it is one of the creators of Firefox.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Feb 18 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

Sure, why not Mush is fine. Go play on Craig's place Elfham. Denver I think. So have fun living under a dragon's thumb :D

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 18 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I had no luck with Shadowland. I think when I signed up originally (years ago) they were updating and I couldn't get on for a while, so gave up. I play here (DS) and table top, but I have never MUSHed.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 18 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I've MUDded quite a lot with SR, and MUSHed a bit (yes, there is a difference). I've also done lots of telnet gaming from back when BBSs were the big thing so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with it. My issue is I end up spending all my free time on the thing, and then some.

+Quote Post
Mr. Man
post Feb 18 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,015

We had a good thread about this back in October.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Feb 18 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

There are a few SR MUXes, and I've played on most of them.

Seattle MUX for several years, and Detroit for a few years also, back when it first started. I was on Denver only briefly, I think it was in beta still at the time.

Each has different "feels", I guess, and not all of my expierences are positive, but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time on each.

It's alot slower then TT play though, and you must be ready to roleplay for long periods of time without any GM intervention (aka, a scene or a job). I think most of the MUXes have player-run "runs" these days, which allows for a motivated group to earn some karma and cash without having a GM do it for them.

Seattle MUX (used to, anyway), has a fully coded matrix system, which can be used by a player without a GM (that is, until they manage to trigger some IC). Gives a good feel for decking and stuff.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 18 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I've played MUDs for a long time, but no more (work blocked telnet connections :( )

It's hard to make a good quest on a MUD/MUSh, which sort of kept me from getting into the SR one (not that I tried). But one of my friends really enjoyed it.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Feb 18 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

Did some looking around and found out some Info wether it is true or not is entirely to be seen.

Germany: Dying a slow death. Just enough activity to keep a handful of people there. Friendly open staff that'll let you do just about everything. Rumors of a few RP sex fiends. Moderate player scenes, rare GM scenes. Open to all types of applications, and fairly easy application it seems. Accepts shape shifters, ghouls, vampires, metavariants and so on and so forth.

Seattle: Decent Population, abundance of strange house rules. Not so shadowrun orientated, more ganger-run or org-run. Old characters with 400+ karma are around, and they do kill for whatever reason they feel like. Rumors of a few RP sex fiends. Rare for player scenes, rarer still for GM scenes. Heavy on Mundane type characters cus Magic ones have to be closely regulated on application. Perhaps the hardest of all to start playing on. More geared towards Samurai and Deckers. Very limited on type, base 5 races only as far as I know.

Detroit: Small population, dying slow it seems like Germany. Strange house rules, and they seem to be fairly biased against magic from what I heard. Didn't hear much on the way of RP sex fiends. Moderate amount of player scenes. Simple Application, and little restrictions on what to play. They seem partial towards riggers. Base 5 races as far as I know, no others allowed.

Denver: Very good Population, possibly largest I've seen. Friendly staff or players (assaulted me with hellos in the first 10 seconds of logging in) Abundant house rules for better and worse. By the rumors it's the new haven for RP sex fiends. Lots of player scenes. Few to no GM scnes. Open applications to all types, but no shape shifters and otaku, no variants, no ghouls, base 5 races. Seems to be very biased towards Magical characters with all the extra karma around.

London: Fairly new place, decent player count. Friendly. Lots of Org and Gang stuff it seems. Don't know much else. Haven't heard anything about the scenes, or RP sex fiends.

Oh and It seems there are some bad bloods between players and staff on several places. People quitting here because of blah, and leaving from one place to the next over Blah. ::shrugs::

I don't know, the whole text RP thing isn't quite my style. Takes too long, and my typing is slow, and I rather like rolling dice by hand, and playing games face to face.

Haven't tried any of the MUDs I can't stand them, everything scrolls too fast for me.

Disclaimer: Mention of RP sex fiends is in no way to be defametory to afor mentioned MUSHes, and in no way ment to offend any sex fiends on DumpShock (You know who you are). Just a measure of how many people solely play to engage in rp sex acts instead of Shadowrun stuff.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 18 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #10

Guests

That's another reason I like SL. We've laughed off shadowfurries and shadowpr0ners. They are pretty much PNG.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 19 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

laughed, yes. terrible, horrified, mad laughter, while plucking out our own eyes with tongs.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 19 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #12

Guests

Speak for yourself. I enjoy watching disasters.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Feb 19 2005, 06:25 AM
Post #13

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

You enjoy watching lots of stuff.

(insert HR tag)

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Feb 19 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

Tried to get on Seattle once, a few years back. My application was rejected for reasons, I thought were a bit silly. Never tried again.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Feb 19 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

What exactly is the difference between a MUD and a MUSH? I thought they were the same thing?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Feb 19 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #16

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Don't quote me on this (well, okay, quote me if you want to), but I thought MUDs were normally more filled with automated computer NPC types (who were normally the things that got hunted and killed for XP), and MUSHes were normally more full up, like, other people that wanted to role play.

+Quote Post
Aes
post Feb 19 2005, 11:23 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

Kicked a nasty MUSH habit a few years back. Saw my grades instantly racing skywards. Not getting near one again though. I'm pretty sure if I log on to a decent MUSH once, the police won't finds my starved corpse until the neighbours start complaining about the smell.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 19 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (Critias)
You enjoy watching lots of stuff.

(insert HR tag)

Indeed.

+Quote Post
MagicalGirlPrett...
post Feb 19 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 6,969

I've been doing it over IRC with some friends for years now. I can't speak for the other methods of playing online, but the IRC channel really does lend itself to playing RPGs such as Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Feb 20 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

QUOTE (Arethusa)
What exactly is the difference between a MUD and a MUSH? I thought they were the same thing?

All MU*s are telnet-based systems for interacting with virtual environments, like multi-player text adventures. In that vein, they're all the same thing. Each system has a different codebase, though, and this influences the types of games and cultures you find:

MUDs are the granddaddy and, like was said, have a lot of 'wandering monster' code and traditional fantasy hack & slash gameplay. A few rare MUDs are primarily social, with the combat code stripped out.

MUSHes were an attempt to create more role-play. They tend to have a lot more player-editable scripting, any combat programs tend to be more flexible, and NPCs are usually run by an admin rather than code. Some are purely social, though, with no combat code at all.

MUCKs are similar to MUSHes in intent, but generally have little to no combat code, or such code is restricted to certain areas of the 'world'. They're almost purely social role-play, and heavily used by the furry culture (and almost no one else).

MUX systems tend to be similar to MUSHes, though based on newer programming languages and blended with better code for combat & character creation (unless it's a social MUX).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:07 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.