IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can Adepts Buy Power Points At Creation?
Leviathan
post Feb 18 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,305

I know mages can buy spell points for 25k each, can adepts purchase Power Points in the same way? I cand find it listed anywhere....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Feb 18 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Leviathan)
I know mages can buy spell points for 25k each, can adepts purchase Power Points in the same way? I cand find it listed anywhere....

No. An Adept's power points are linked to the adept's Magic rating. You need to initiate to get more power points.

+Quote Post
GlassJaw
post Feb 18 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,664

You need to initiate to get more power points.

Do the rules in MitS supercede those in SR3? In SR3, an adept needs to spend 20 Karma to gain 1 PP. Can both sets of rules be used?

+Quote Post
Drain Brain
post Feb 18 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #4

The Sewer Jockey

Member No.: 1,197

I seem to recall that as a no...

Don't remember where I read it, but the "20 karma" ruling was designed to allow adepts to increase their power if you're not using MitS' initiation rules...

Although that would pretty much kill full mages' advancement too, but at least they could learn new spells...

+Quote Post
UpSyndrome
post Feb 18 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,506

There are rules in MJLBB for adepts buying power points at character creation (I'm not going to look them up with my boss sitting right behind me), albeit in the high-powered campaign section.

-Joe

+Quote Post
Little Bill
post Feb 18 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 3,307

The two systems aren't compatible. Initiation costs a lot more than 20 karma after the first few grades, so if you had your choice, probably no adept would use the Initiation system after that point to get new powers. Sure your Magic attribute wouldn't increase, but that doesn't affect an adept as much as it does a full mage.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Feb 18 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

If you are allowing the purchase of power points in game for 20 karma then you could justify allowing them to be purchased. Now remember that each spell point is worth a point of karma for anything you might want to do with it, so you would probably be spending 500k for that point of powers, better I think to wait until in game.

Edward

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 18 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Honestly, there's no reason to not use both systems.

Powers are limited in rating to both your magic rating and, when applicable, the skill.

If you only have stealth of 4, you cannot have IA:Stealth of 5.

If you want to be in the upper tier power levels, you have to initiate. Initiation grants so much more than a mere power point for adepts that I can see the additional costs associated, but if you just want more powers, that should be an option as well.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Feb 18 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

It is implied in the 'Magician's way' (MITS p.22-23) that both system are compatible.

"Magician adepts may not purchase Power Point with karma, as other adepts can (p.168 SR3). If a magician adept initiates, she can chose to either gain an extra Power Point or learn a metamgical technique"

Remember that Magician actually buy Magic attributes point as if they were an adept power.

So basically, this paragraph is assuming that adepts can still buy PP at 20 Karma under the MITS rules, in opposition to Magician who can't.

The initiation rule is is more attractive up to level 4 when in a group and level 1 when self initiating, not accounting for ordeals.

Why initiates over buying PP past these points? Buying PP doesn't raise your magic rating which limits how many levels of any given power you can buy and also limits how effective some of your power are. Plus there is the metamagic technique which might tip the balance though by the point where initiation costs more than buying PP you probably have all those you really wanted.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 18 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

From the Shadowrun FAQ ...

Question: SR3 allows adepts to purchase additional power points at a cost of 20 Good Karma points each. Does this mean that an adept can have more power points than his Magic attribute? Or does the purchased power point increase the adept's Magic? Can purchased power points be lost due to Magic loss? What happens if the adept's Magic is reduced to 0, but he still has powers left?
Answer: Adepts who purchase power points with Karma do not get an extra Magic point with that power point. You only get that with initiation.
The power point for Karma rule was specifically included for players who do not use the advanced magic (initiation) rules. It is recommended that this rule be ignored if the initation rules in Magic in the Shadows are also being used. Any extra power points purchased with Karma do not count against the character's limit of (Magic attribute) number of power points.
When an adept loses Magic, he chooses which powers are lost; powers bought with Karma can be chosen instead of others. If an adept's Magic reaches 0, the adept loses all magical ability, period.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 18 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

The two systems are definitely compatible.

Asuming you have a group with no ordeals, you're better off initiating until you reach Initiate grade 6, when the cost jumps to 22.

If you hold off on doing any ordeals until later, you can initiate up to grade 8. Grade 9 the cost would be 21, meaning initiation is only better if you really want the magic point or need to shed a geas.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 18 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Our group uses a variation of both methods.
1st- During creation Adept Powers cost 2,3 or 4 times as musch as listed (we took a long time to work out exactly which powers wereincreased and by what amount to keep balance)
2nd- Adepts get 30 Power Points to spend, or 5 per level of Magic Attribute.
3rd- After creation, Adepts can buy new Powers at double the original price (so now it's 4,6, or 8 times whats listed in the book.
4th- When initiating the Adept can choose to do one of the following: gain a Magic Attribute Point (this does not buy him any powers) and a metamagic technique or gain 5 Power Points and raise the Racial Max of one of his/her physical attributes.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 18 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

gain five power points per grade?

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 18 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Remember, in the system above a Power Point is worth about 1/4th to 1/8th of what a normal canon Power point would be.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Feb 18 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (GlassJaw)
You need to initiate to get more power points.

Do the rules in MitS supercede those in SR3? In SR3, an adept needs to spend 20 Karma to gain 1 PP. Can both sets of rules be used?

I seem to remember reading in MiTS that you should use one system or the other (SR3 Core or MiTS). No MiTS handy atm.

For our games, we usually just allow initiation at chargen.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Feb 18 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #16

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

ok so I'm reading this and I have a question?

if one were allowed to buy power points at creation and add to that that adepts get 35 spell points at creation (yes I know adepts are in referance to magical ones not physical ones but still go with me on this) and spells points are equal to karma that gives the adept 35 for power points.

Thus you pay 20 for a power point and have 15 left pay 125,000 for 5 more and power point number two is possible.

But hey that would just be the munchkin in me beefing up my physical adept lol.

Although that would be cool to make that character a physical adept with 8 power points and then toss a geas on all powers so as to get 10.5 power points in use.

now that is one bad physical adept at creation.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Feb 18 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F. @ Feb 18 2005, 11:02 PM)
ok so I'm reading this and I have a question?

if one were allowed to buy power points at creation and add to that that adepts get 35 spell points at creation (yes I know adepts are in referance to magical ones not physical ones but still go with me on this) and spells points are equal to karma that gives the adept 35 for power points.

No i belive that it is stated in SR3 that Adepts DO NOT get those 35 points.

[EDIT] I bothered to get my book. It says that aspected magicains do while under Adepts it says that they get no spell points.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Feb 18 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #18

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

um Shockwave.... If you read my past post in the ( ) I did say that the spell points are for magical types not physical types.

It was just a thought on what could be done if allowed ya know houserules and all.

Also if I remember correctly SRM's you can do both initiation and pay 20 karma as Bitrunner told me do initiation first till it cost less to pay the 20 karma then switch.

As for my games I allow initiation at creation so you wanna buy the spells points and convert them to karma go for it but 500k for 1 power point seems a bit expensive to me.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Feb 18 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)

It was just a thought on what could be done if allowed ya know houserules and all.

Fair Point, But though technically you can allow anything with a house rule ;)

QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
As for my games I allow initiation at creation so you wanna buy the spells points and convert them to karma go for it but 500k for 1 power point seems a bit expensive to me.

Though i've never head a player doing it would also allow initiation as well

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.