IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Threats?, Something for the next one?
DrJest
post Feb 19 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,722

I had a weird idea (what a surprise) whilst browsing the classic piece of sci-fi idiocy that is the Ultimate Secret of Scientology (it's that wonderful piece of space opera concerning Xenu ).

However, I also recall that Scientology is accused of some pretty heinous stuff; including, but not limited to, brainwashing of members, physical abuse of members (including the famous Lisa MacPherson case), and the infiltration of the IRS. Also, Scientology claims that anyone who is anti-Scientology is by definition a criminal:

QUOTE (L Ron Hubbard)
Now get this as a technical fact, not a hopeful idea. Every time we have investigated the background of a critic of Scientology we have found crimes for which that person or group could be imprisoned under existing law. We do not find critics of Scientology who do not have criminal pasts. Over and over we prove this. -- Critics of Scientology, "Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter," November 5, 1967

So I remembered that a while ago people were looking for mundane organisations to act as Threats, and it occurred to me that the Church of Scientology would be ideal (or a fictional subset thereof if necessary for publication if it actually went to print).

Anybody care to comment?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 19 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #2

Guests

If you look hard enough, It is almost impossible to find someone who has never committed a crime.

Other than that, it's been covered before. And any attempt to even suggest their presence in SR would lead to them suing everyone involved until they were dead.

FASA published the cover of UB with a reference to it. Now FASA is no longer.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Feb 19 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
If you look hard enough, It is almost impossible to find someone who has never committed a crime.

Other than that, it's been covered before. And any attempt to even suggest their presence in SR would lead to them suing everyone involved until they were dead.

FASA publsihed the cover of UB with a reference to it. Now FASA is no longer.

I thought the reason FASA went under was the Harmony Gold lawsuit over Battletech?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 19 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Bah. Best treatment L Ron Hubbard ever got was in Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's Inferno.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 19 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Hello, a Niven and Pournelle I haven't read? Cool!

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Feb 19 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

Whilst I like the idea of having real-world organisations in SR, the fact that any negative connotations *will* result in law-suits seems like it's probably not a good idea to include them in canon literature.

I actually always thought that the UB was rather like how the Scientologists would operate in the sixth world, if rather more openly than the real-world equivalent so it might end up being too similar...

If anyone's interested there's a great selection of articles at Operation Clambake, including (what seems like ) a pretty good unathorised biography of Hubbard.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 19 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Good thing Shadowrun can still use the Curch of Psytology... :P

Wasn't I just reading about their school in SoE? The David Singer Institute for Advanced Parapsychologist Studies in Austria?

Of course, we have Threats 3 comming out under a disguise, so perhaps we should expect a breif joke about Scientologist hit men.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 19 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter @ Feb 19 2005, 09:43 AM)

I thought the reason FASA went under was the Harmony Gold lawsuit over Battletech?

Did I ever write that the two events were connected?

+Quote Post
Adam
post Feb 19 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)

This is not true. It was a factor, but so were many things.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Feb 20 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #10

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

We gonna get a FASA history lesson Proj Jury?

Id say something, but I kinda walk right by a rather large Scientology building on the way to school every night. I dont want my ass gettintg kicked by Mr Travolta...

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Feb 20 2005, 03:38 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

So I remembered that a while ago people were looking for mundane organisations to act as Threats, and it occurred to me that the Church of Scientology would be ideal (or a fictional subset thereof if necessary for publication if it actually went to print).

I actually always thought that the UB was rather like how the Scientologists would operate in the sixth world, if rather more openly than the real-world equivalent so it might end up being too similar...

I can't remember where I read it, but one of the SR authors commented that the Univseral Brotherhood was based off of his experiences with Scientology.

So you could say that they're already in the SR world. Kinda.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 20 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #12

Guests

I thought that was something else. A movie or something.

Either way, there does seem to be more than passing inspiration derived from it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.