IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GM who want to run the Renraku Shutdown, How do you kill Deus Drones?
Spider
post Feb 20 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,022

First of all, beware of the spoilers that this topic may contain for players and GM who intent to play the Renraku shutdown.

You where warned.

My question is directed at GM who have run game inside the Arcology, using the stuff from the Renraku Arcology Shutdown. Then again i'm really open to suggestion from anyones around (since i've notice many creative GM's and player's consult this forum). It's some simples and straightforwards questions.

1-How have you managed to get your player across the drones produce by Deus?(what type of encounters, a chase, seek and destroyed... what gears the team was packing on?)

2-What's the best way to dispatch/destroyed/evade the terrible army of drones of the AI using the normal SR3 rules?(I mean the medusa are extremely tough customer aren't they? In some example used in the shutdown book they seem to say they took out medusas using pistols and smg, witch seem improbable to me). It seem to me one pack medusas could destroyed an entire team with almost no scratch(look at the armor rating!)...

3-If you trapped your players down the Arcology(your sooo bad), i want to know
-how long they got stuck inside(days,weeks,months,a year?!)
- what "missions" did they accomplish?

I guess you'll extrapolate and give me even more than i need so i'll just wait for your answers for now.

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate this forum and the quality of your post.

(By the way, i already know that the drones of Deus are supposed to be quite lethal, heavily armored and quite smart. I'm ok with that, i just wanna know how to take them out, survive them, escaped them without tactically nuke the entire downtown area...)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 20 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I'm sending in a team on a run for the Big-D reward and a few other missions on the way. One thing I was including for them were rockets based off of the "jabberwock" missels from Rigger 2. Basically jacks up drones. They're only able to carry 4 though. Other than that, AV ammo. They'll be well equipped since they're specifically going for an 8m :nuyen: reward (a lot of which is going to the ork underground for providing them a way out. A lot is also going to the fixer funding them).

I ran only one other arc run, a single orc street sam w/ a vindicator. he thought it would be fun. He fought one medusa, and got the hell out of there with a serious wound.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 20 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

By the way, how were you planning on inserting your team?

+Quote Post
Charon
post Feb 20 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

I haven't played through the shutdown 'era'. Plan to in the near future.

Renraku Shutdown is 2e, right? So you should lower the armor ratings somewhat. Steel Lynx Drones are currently Body 2 and Armor 9 in SR3 buy they used to be Body 4 and Armor 12 in SR2 when introduced in FoF, for example.

+Quote Post
Spider
post Feb 20 2005, 01:53 AM
Post #5

Target

Since i'm pretty vicious, my team will meet a jonhson inside the Arc and then the Shutdown will occur. They will have to fight their way out, unite with trapped lone star cop, some unbanded red Samourai, resistance members etc. I've find a way to make the decker snatch from the team and they will have to rescue him from a medical room. So it's gonna be pretty harsh.

(i've got a plan to help them if they miserably fail... but still i'm afraid of what could happen to them)

And they uptaded the drone and the banded one in the brainscan supplement p.137-144 so you don't have to worrie about the 2nd edition rules.

(still the medusa in third edition rule got 3 of body, 4(8) in armor(4 + 2 points of ablasive armor that add 4 to armor rating! It's also state that an attack that strikes a medusa with a power three times the modified armor rating will remove one point of ablasive armor. Good luck mr.Sammy!)

+Quote Post
Spider
post Feb 20 2005, 01:55 AM
Post #6

Target

i mean 8 in armor total

not 8)

lol

sorry

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 20 2005, 02:13 AM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

Since the source books are put into a format of being on shadowland, I was going to give my players access to the shutdown book (w/o the game info in the back), that way they could build up some good dread before going for it.

Other than that, I prepared a pretty big list of things they were going to take in with them. I was planning on having them land on one of the helipads w/ night gliders, covered w/ concealment by spirits. Still haven't decided just how feasible (or dangerous) that is w/ patrolling army elementals.

Springing on them like that is pretty harsh though. Personally, I don't htink I'd go to a meet in the arcology. I generally try to avoid any meet where I can't even bring a pistol. How are they supposed to get armed? The red samurai are pretty tough kickers, I have a hard time seeing runners grabbing guns from them (unless of course other samurai already cacked them).

How long are you planning on keeping them in there? Probably will end up needing some pretty detailed maps. I think kevyyn668was working on something like that (or someone was). do a search!

+Quote Post
Club
post Feb 20 2005, 03:10 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,787

There are three articles from RA:S that got cut from the final version. FASA used to have them on their site, but when FASA went down, so did the articles.

One was on the orc underground, the second the media coverage, and the third was a shadowland 'WTF is happening forum'. I know #1 is still out there somewhere, I'm not sure about the other two

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 20 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #9

Guests

IIRC, DE wrote them. And if he didn't he should still have them.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 20 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #10

Uncle Fisty

That would be nice. Any chance of getting a copy (or a site address to "get" said copy)?

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 20 2005, 03:32 AM
Post #11

Guests

Ask him.

I'd like to get a copy of the Boston article from the same e-zine that they were published in at the time. It was more interesting that the one in Target: UCAS.

+Quote Post
Club
post Feb 20 2005, 03:37 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,787

OK, just glanced through RA:S and brainscan. The ablative armor on the Medusa is optional, and not by cannon on all drones. That would make the things @#$%^ scary still, but reasonable for mid-power PC's to take down.

And I don't think the jabberwock missles would do much to most of Dues's combat critters. The things are robots, with enough smarts to complete their last orders. After the orders are complete they might get confused, but by then you're meat. YMMV, depending on how smart the GM thinks they should be though.

Best bet: Troll Musclehead with a polearm. (Or a 15 lb. sledgehammer [mace] depending on if your GM is willing to bend the stun damage rules.)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 20 2005, 03:44 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

you should try using the drones' nigh-invulnerability as a multipurpose plot hook. eg: the ork underground knows where there's a cache of AV ammo, but a) it's well-guarded by blues and drones, and b) the ork underground has some people they want freed before they'll part with the info. make acquiring the means necessary for taking the drones down a run in and of itself.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Feb 20 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Charon)
Renraku Shutdown is 2e, right?

Shutdown is a 3e book. It did come out before all the 3e splatbooks had been released, so I think it actually contained the initial 3e rules updates on certain topics, updates that may have been later revised in the appropriate splatbook when it was released.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 20 2005, 04:04 AM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (Club)

And I don't think the jabberwock missles would do much to most of Dues's combat critters. The things are robots, with enough smarts to complete their last orders. After the orders are complete they might get confused, but by then you're meat. YMMV, depending on how smart the GM thinks they should be though.

My problem is I loaned my R:2 out to a friend, and well, in a different state now. Any idea where i can find the specifics on those dandy little toys. I remember them being pretty effective against drones, and I'm only planning on letting them get them for this one run, but having nice cold hard rules on hand would be nice.

Wonder if they'll bother posting rigger 2 as a PDF?

What I'm trying to remember is if the jabberwock is just a real nasty ECM, or if it actually does something more along the lines of an EMP. I know the blues get their BTL fix from a transmitted signal (signal says "on", they get their warm fuzzies), but I think I remember the drones blowing up if they lose the signal, to avoid their being captured. I do know that is specifically states that Dues wigs out if ANY kind of ECM is used in the arcology, because he relies on it so heavily, so these are kind of a trump card trick. Is any of this ringing true, or am I pulling it out of my hoop?

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Feb 20 2005, 05:01 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

If anyone finds the two other articles, please post to this board...I love RA:S, and if there's more, well...that's exciting.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 20 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

In the post-Shutdown Arcology, one of two things must flow like water: AV ammo, or character blood.

~J

+Quote Post
Nalanthi
post Feb 20 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 3,172

Does the group have a troll? I have found that groups with trolls have a much higher survival rates. I run an adventure at cons (where I am not afraid to kill pc's out of hand) where Deus abducts the runners and smuggles them into the arcology. When they wake up they are equipped as they usually are for heave duty runs, told that there goal is to survive for as long as possible and then dumped into a random floor on the arcology. They don't encounter medusas until the very end and they either tend to get through them extremely well adapting the techniques the party develeped to deal with dervishes earlier or all die. Remember that the drones must "lock on" before they can fire using a complex action which gives an alert team a pass in which to act before the medusas go. The gorgon on the other hand, the single gorgon I was using I had to take out because its tendency to strike from ambush was annihlating parties. I did lose the abblative armor from the medusas though, its on the absurd side. If you are going to use it make sure the runners have AV (I tend to keep mine away from it).

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Feb 20 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
In the post-Shutdown Arcology, one of two things must flow like water: AV ammo, or character blood.

~J

That so sums up the leathality of it all.

Or needing power 18 weapons to hurt Medusea without the AV ammo.

The Gorgons i found weren't to bad as the group was quite perceptive and it doesn't have the ablative armour thus can get hurt alot easier then the Medusea

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 20 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Called Shots to Bypass Armour. You could kill a Leopard 3 that way.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Feb 20 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

There are three articles from RA:S that got cut from the final version. FASA used to have them on their site, but when FASA went down, so did the articles.

Dave and Brian wrote 'em, actually. I really don't know if there's any lingering legalities involved with me posting this stuff, but it was cut and it's old, so I figure there's no trouble in it.

If Dumpshock can and wants to host these files, feel free.

Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Open Forum
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Spin Doctoring
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: The Ork Underground

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Feb 20 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

Dave and Brian wrote 'em, actually. I really don't know if there's any lingering legalities involved with me posting this stuff, but it was cut and it's old, so I figure there's no trouble in it.

If Dumpshock can and wants to host these files, feel free.

Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Open Forum
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: Spin Doctoring
Renraku Arcology Shutdown: The Ork Underground

I actually took printouts of those, and my copy of RA:S down to the local copy shop, had them slice the spine off the book, and rebind it with those chapters where they would have fallen had they not been cut.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 20 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #23

Guests

I think my favorite description someone wrote about the Arc was the smell coming from the housing units where people starved to death because the hallways were mined. Well, that and the human bloodbag bombs.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 20 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

I was particularly interested in this quote:
WHAT!?! This man just violated every rule of doctor-patient privilege known to man! One of the fundamental rules of psychoanalysis is to make the patient know that she's safe to say anything without fear of reprisal! FastJack, send me this quack's name if you have it; I'll see that he gets disbarred.
:: Posted By Doc U-Dub ::

Violating doctor-patient privilege, while occasionally unethical, does not necessarily get the doctor's license revoked. Due to the Tarasoff decision, there are many legal and regulatory protections for a doctor to break confidentiality if it necessary for the health of the individual. In the particular case listed, I believe that the doctor in question was ethically and legally correct in contacting a security chief, if the doctor believed the patient was a danger to herself or to others.

There is a quite a long list of exceptions to doctor-patient privilege (specific to the field of psychiatry/psychology), including, but not limited to:
* Competence proceedings
* Commission of a crime - If the services of a psychotherapist are sought or obtained to enable a patient to commit or plan to commit a crime or tort or to escape detection or apprehension after the commission of a crime or tort, there is no psychotherapist-patient privilege.
* Breach of duty - In cases involving a breach of duty by the psychologist arising out of their relationship with the patient, there is no psychotherapist-patient privilege as to any communications between the psychologist and the patient.
* Deceased patient - In a communication from a deceased patient concerning their intent in executing a will or other dispositive instrument, there is no psychotherapist-patient privilege. There is no privilege as to a communication between parties "all of whom claim through a deceased patient regardless of whether the claims are by testate or intestate succession or by inter vivos transaction."
* Public reports. Where a psychologist is required by law to report information to a public employee or for inclusion in the public record, there is no psychotherapist-patient privilege as to that information.
* Dangerous patient. Where a psychotherapist has reasonable cause to believe that the patient is dangerous to himself or to the person or property of another, and that disclosure is necessary in order to prevent the threatened danger, there is no psychotherapist-patient privilege.
* Credible harm - Where a patient expresses a credible threat of injury to an identifiable victim, the therapist not only has the right but the obligation to warn the intended victim.
* Court-appointed psychotherapist - Where a psychotherapist is appointed by a judge or by the Board of Prison Terms to examine a patient, there is no applicable psychotherapist-patient privilege.
* Elder abuse/child abuse
* Coroner's inquiries

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 20 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #25

Guests

.... being subject only to the administrative whims of an extraterritorial corp...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.