> Shadowrun Guidance Office, What your teachers never suspected
Talia Invierno
post Feb 22 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,689

Tying into SR Player Education Level:

Being me, I can't help but wonder why the breakdown is as it is.

I'm suddenly remembering when I read introductory economic theory, very shortly after having read the second edition Corporate and Neoanarchist sourcebooks, and thinking how very much of that class was review.

Has playing Shadowrun and/or reading the sourcebooks actively influenced you toward higher education? Has it influenced your choice of major?

Can't help but notice just how many of us Dumpshockers are scientists/mathematicians/staticians of one ilk or another :) Does playing Shadowrun -- in the most general sense -- tend to attract math-friendly problem-solvers; or, if you happen to fall on the other side of that fence, bring out latent mathematical and analytical problem solving ability in its adherents?

(And yes: I have a postgraduate paper gathering dust in the closet too.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 22 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #2

Guests

I wrote a paper for an English class in college on what became almost exclusively Shadowrun since the whole theme of the class was technology and society.

But generally, no. My academic career and interest have influenced my playing of SR.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 23 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

I'm a history major and a computer technician. Math and I are not friends. I am a devoted fan of Ancient History and dig ED/SR crossovers. I don't think one influenced the other though. I think they are just two aspects of the same personality trrait or interest or whatever.

I have never, ever, in eleven years run a decker.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Feb 23 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

I play SR because it's so well done (and the people from FASA get a little TOO close on some things. Quebec anyone?). I'm a physics/Computer Science major. And, everything they wrote about, would/does actually work. And, i think that's why i like it so much. Because, though it's fantasy (read: cyberpunk) it's also very real.

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Feb 23 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

Psychology/Creative Writing double major.

It's all about the setting.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 23 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

I have a friend who turned in some Shadowrun character journal entries for a creative writing assignment and got an A on them back in High School. I'm not sure what that says about my friend or my High School, but there ya go.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Feb 23 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
Psychology/Creative Writing double major.

It's all about the setting.

Same for me, and I was a MIS guy. Although, my Ops major also had a lot of statistics and stuff (SPC, Linear Programming, etc).

On the whole, a well written, mostly internally constistant, and seemingly plausable story* (and I see SR as that) will draw me in.

*and yeah, the magic stuff is out there, in a RL sort of way, but some suspension of belief is required for these sort of things.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 23 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #8

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I have a friend who turned in some Shadowrun character journal entries for a creative writing assignment and got an A on them back in High School. I'm not sure what that says about my friend or my High School, but there ya go.

If it was in California that would explain it :please:

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 23 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

It was in Indiana, which is just about as good/bad. At least we don't have stickers on our Biology books to warn the fundamentalists about evolution heresies contained within, thank goodness.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 23 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I was well past any schooling before the inception of Shadowrun. In general, RPGs did not in any way affect my education or career choices.

+Quote Post
AIM-54
post Feb 23 2005, 02:45 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 5,648

SR has had very little influence on my educational choices as those were mostly made by the time I really got into SR.

But my interest in IR/Europe certainly has its outlet in SR, not so much in how or what I play, (though I'd love to play a military campaign in Europe :P) but in the metaplot and future condition of various states etc.

I loved SoE, especially how it caught a lot of the overarching themes and currents present in Europe, especially from a historical perspective. The parallels with earlier history in a lot of cases were terribly interesting to me.

So, I've rambled a bit, but that's the kinda stuff that I really get into.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 23 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Actually Shadowrun makes me want to do anything I can to make this world a better place for my Niece, Nephew, and eventually after I meet and marry the right girl my own children to grow up in, and eventually inheret. Being that the hobby is so Fraggin cheap it kinda helps me in that, so I've got more money to spend on my education and whatnot.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Feb 23 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

RPGs in general have greatly improved my mental maths skills.

Other than that, not really.

Edward

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Feb 23 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Ive also had several instances when SR/rpgs have trivialized some classes. But theyve not influenced my choice of educational goals in any serious manner. The amount of reading done because of an interest in rpgs in general certainly helped overall, and statistics was seriously easy after repeatedly living and dying in one game or another based on the odds of a roll, but I wasnt more likley to take metalshop because I wanted to be more like my gunsmith contact =)

+Quote Post
Dog
post Feb 23 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

I dropped out of university shortly after I started playing this game (early nineties, I was studying engineering) to spend more time acting, particularily improv.
I used the pittance I was making to pay for training in martial arts/self defense, wilderness survival, and tons of other stuff, like explosives detection, whenever it was available.
Now I work with addicts and street people and occasionally do contracts as a security consultant/trainor or fighting on film.
Shadowrun probably didn't convince me to do all this stuff. Probably all the G.I. Joe comics I read as a kid convinced me to do this stuff and to play Shadowrun.
Thanks, Marvel comics! I coulda been making $200,000 a year as an engineer by now!

As a side note: my brother studies anthropology and archeology, and specializes in Central America. He's updated my Aztechnology stuff for me in very interesting ways.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Feb 23 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

I was born without a math brain, I'm afraid. It's like kryptonite to Superman. I'm a Psych major, English minor and a pretty bright guy, if all the IQ tests are to be believed. I think SR just attracts smarter-than-average players. (Generally. I've seen a few things here on Dumpshock that have made me doubt my hypothesis once or twice...)

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Feb 23 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #17

Jesus Freak

Member No.: 6,274

QUOTE (Fortune)
I was well past any schooling before the inception of Shadowrun. In general, RPGs did not in any way affect my education or carrer choices.

Everyone point at laugh at how old Fortune is. :D

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Feb 23 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

Well, for the most part you take a rule set in shadowrun, like say magic. It has about 20-30 pages of rules that explain how magic works then you have spells that for the most part let you plug in the blanks. All spells tend to work within the same rules. this a lot like the decking, combat and rigging rules.

So it maybe harder to learn the rules at first,but once you do everything else falls into place. Unlike say D&D, witch has different rules for just about everything.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 23 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 22 2005, 06:26 PM)
I was well past any schooling before the inception of Shadowrun. In general, RPGs did not in any way affect my education or carrer choices.

Everyone point at laugh at how old Fortune is.

Damn! I must be getting old if I didn't notice that spelling mistake. :(

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Feb 24 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 22 2005, 08:28 PM)

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

+Quote Post
akarenti
post Feb 24 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,785

Voorhees: I don't think people from California realize just how strange California is.

Anyway, I'm a ex-Navy fine arts major with just a few semesters of college under his belt. My group is pretty diverse. We have just about every level of education people in hour age group could, from Bachelor's Degrees down to Wal-mart OTJ, with a number of completely unrelated interests.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 24 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Smiley)
I was born without a math brain, I'm afraid. It's like kryptonite to Superman. I'm a Psych major, English minor and a pretty bright guy, if all the IQ tests are to be believed. I think SR just attracts smarter-than-average players. (Generally. I've seen a few things here on Dumpshock that have made me doubt my hypothesis once or twice...)

Echo that.

When I was doing my big ass senior research project I came up with the idea of drafting a Math Major to crunch the stats. :)

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 24 2005, 04:43 AM
Post #23

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (akarenti)
Voorhees: I don't think people from California realize just how strange California is.

Anyway, I'm a ex-Navy fine arts major with just a few semesters of college under his belt. My group is pretty diverse. We have just about every level of education people in hour age group could, from Bachelor's Degrees down to Wal-mart OTJ, with a number of completely unrelated interests.

Your job does not make you smarter or dumber than somebody else. Comparing them as if they do, do.

My major? Not sure anymore. I just can't sit in front of a PC and code for 8 hours straight like I used to be able to. I'm thinking Linguistics or Robotics, though.

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Feb 24 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

I'm a Microbiology major. Shadowrun or RPGs in general really had no effect on my choice. In fact, sometimes, even accounting for the advanced technology, they're pretty off-base when it comes to some of the stuff relating to microbiology / biology. Nevertheless, aside from the occasional rant, it hasn't interfered with my enjoyment of the game.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 24 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Booh Yah, Happiness and Joy, I have found somebody who's selling the Carcass of a motorcycle for 75 dollars, gonna go take a look at it over the weekend.

Sorry bout that, just in too good of a mood not to spread the news around. I can almost feel the wind behind my eyeballs...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.