> Vehicle turrets, Confuzzled about the rules
Westiex
post Feb 23 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,715

Vehicle Turrents

I'm having some problems working on incorporating a weapon turret into a vehicle and I'd like some help. I've written out what I can work out, help would be appreciated.

The desired outcome is a concealed medium machine gun on a Body 4 SUV chassis.

A MMG has a weapon value of 2, which requires a Mini turret, which has a requirement of one hard point. A pop up torret lowers the weapon value by one, however requires double the normal CF consumption.

So (P139 - 141, R3 revised)

MMG w/ standard mount has a weapon value of two, which is a Mini turret (One hardpoint)
MMC w/ pop up turrent has a weapon value of one, which is a Mini turret OR a micro remote turret (one hardpoint)

The problem is that an earlier section discusses the cost of internal/external hard and firmpoints, yet the turrent page only says how many each turrent requires. Now, the question is whether or not one has to purchase them seperately, or if the page only talks about it because of how many hard/firm points a vehicle can have dependant on the body of the vehicle.

Question two, how easy is it to swap a weapon in a mount for another one? Does it have to be the same type (MMG for MMG), or can one also include other weapons up to the max value of the turret?

Question three, how does a smartlink intergration kit work with a drone brain? Assuming that a rigger hasn't jumped into the drone and its piloting itself, does it get the standard bonuses for either smartlink one or two?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 07:06 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

First, MMG w/ standard mount takes 1 hardpoint, or a mini turret, correct.
MMg w/pop up turret still requires a weapon value of two, however pop-up turrets get -1 to their weapon value, required a Small turret to fit (3 weapon value -1 popup = 2).

So you can add a pop-up small turret (requirement 2 hardpoints (4 body)) onto the SUV, and have a MMG on it. Or you could add two mini turrets, and have 2 MMGs on those, but have them be obvious.

Two: The weapons have integration kits, so very easy. As long as it fits in the turret, make your b/r checks, you're fine.

Lastly: It gets the standard bonuses for smartlink 1/2 provided it has a smartlink integration kit, and the weapon itself has a smartlink accessory. Keep in mind that drone brains must use sensor enhanced gunnery, so every new target they want to shoot at takes at least one complex action to lock-onto first before fireing.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 23 2005, 07:19 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Woah. Deja vu; anyone else remember a topic about a year ago that was more or less identical, right down to the use of the misspelling "turrent"?

Incidentally, Sensor-Enhanced Gunnery owns manual gunnery on anything without ED or Sig+ECM 7 or under. As far as I know, the smartlink doesn't aid in sensor-enhanced gunnery, though.

~J

+Quote Post
Westiex
post Feb 23 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,715

Woah. Deja vu; anyone else remember a topic about a year ago that was more or less identical, right down to the use of the misspelling "turrent"?

I wasn't around a year or so ago, so ....

MMg w/pop up turret still requires a weapon value of two, however pop-up turrets get -1 to their weapon value, required a Small turret to fit (3 weapon value -1 popup = 2).

How so?

The weapon value of a standand turret mount for a MMG is 2. For a pop up turret its -1, so 2-1=1. Granted I was a bit confused about somehow getting a micro pop up turret, but you still should only need a mini turret if you go with a pop up.

If one were to get, say, a assault cannon which had a weapon value of 3, thus normally requiring a small turret/2 hard points, where as if one used a pop up turret it'd drop down to a mini.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Feb 23 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Changing to a pop up turret reduces the turrets capacity to hold weapons by 1 weapon value.

It dose not (as you interpreted) reduce the weapon value fro the weapons within the turret.

An easy enough mistake to make.

QUOTE ( Kagetenshi)
Incidentally, Sensor-Enhanced Gunnery owns manual gunnery on anything without ED or Sig+ECM 7 or under. As far as I know, the smartlink doesn't aid in sensor-enhanced gunnery, though.

I disagree.

With reasonable skill and a SL integration kit as well as the recoil advantages of vehicle mounted weapons a burst fired from a vehicle will kill most targets within a single action wether you use sensor enhanced or not. The disadvantage is with sensor enhanced because you can only kill a target every 2 actions instead of every action.

Take for example the MMG in use hear. Total recoil elimination is easily achieved the base damage code is 9S. firing a 10 round burst with regular ammunition gives 19D+2 base. Very few targets can soak this. Assuming only 1 net success when hitting 6 successes are needed to avoid a deadly wound, only the most durable of brick shithouse builds in excessively heavy armour have a chance of surviving a single hit.

Now you will no doubt bring up penalty such as bad conditions or rain to make it harder to hit. In such circumstances change to regular ammunition with tracers. With 4 tracers among the 10 rounds we can recover fully from 4 points of environmental and range penalties. The damage code is now 15D+2 with 1 net success after dodge, six successes still needed to avoid a deadly wound. It would take the same build with slightly less armour to survive. It gets worse when you start using EX EX or AP rounds.

Sensor enhanced gunnery is for drones that can’t do it any other way and riggers that lock on before they can start the shooting (while talking or from outside of firing range) or are in a very bad situation (can’t cram enough tracers in)

Edward

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say edward.

Kage, the smartlink does aid in sensor-enhanced gunnery, provided the gun has a smartlink acccessory and the mount is configured with a smartlink-integration kit. Since the dogbrain (Drone Pilot Rating) already is aiming with sensor data, the smartlink simply provides it better and more accurate sensor data, allowing it to aim better, and getting the normal -2 to the TN.

Sensor-Enhanced only owns provided you think you can lock on reliably. Most drones have pilots in the range of 2-3. So, 2-3 dice vs TN of 7 or less as you said, has some chance of getting successes. I couldn't find any probability charts quickly, so someone here can figure it out. Regardless, I don't like the odds. What happens if you fail? Oh, you wasted a pass. Also, just a note, the drone can't determine one thing from another until it starts getting 4 successes (or is it 5). 1 success tells it "Something here!". 2 is "Person/Car/Helicopter here!" 3 is "Troll/Ford Americar/Dwarf here!" 4 is "The troll in the picture I saw/Joe bob/My rigger". So, sure, you got a success on your sensor test. Whoopidy doo, now you know something is there. Oh, you got two? Well, at least now you know you're not locked onto his car instead. But all it gives you is "metahuman" so, unless you have smartlink integration kits, and give your teamates mini-traceivers to let it know don't shoot these ones, I'd just randomly (with a dice roll) pick which metahuman you wanted to shoot at. Depending on signatures, you'll probably pick up all the trolls first, and the others with a 6. So, I might go, you see 4 metahumans on sensors, which one do you want to shoot. I suppose you could have it shoot the farther away ones first, but that has its own issues. This is why its good to have a rigger controlling, as after you say, well, I want it to pick that one, its a pilot test to see if it decides in your favor or not. It might decide to shoot the closest one, as thats the one its most likely to hit, (result of bad interpretation) without the friend/foe transmitters, you just geeked your own mage.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Yeah, but isn't direct LoS on a target is a -3 TN and you pretty much want direct LoS if your using an MMG. If it's all on a Smartlink 2 then the rigger can designate a target with a spotter drone and have everything else go apedrek on it.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #8

Dragon

K10, yes, direct LOS is -3. To achieve direct LOS you either need to be on an open field/road with you and the target and no obstructions (including smoke) in the way. Note, a city street doesn't give you LOS, if theres other cars, even off to the side between you and the target, not direct LOS, etc. That, or be airborne, as airborne drones typically always have it. If they don't they can't target the thing.

Also, no, smartlinks (or sl2s) do NOT allow indirect fire via a spotter drone. That takes the battletac fddm control unit on the deck, the transmitter on the spotter drone, and another one on the fireing drone. Keeping in mind the master unit has an availability of 10, and you can't start out with indirect fireing drones. Don't even look at the costs, you'll cry.

Its usually easier to have recoil compensation on the turret for dealing with the recoil of the big guns. I think depending on the size of the turret decides how much recoil comp you can get... if I remember right, its 8 or 10 for a small turret, and 6 or 8 for a mini-turret, but don't quote me on those, no books atm.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Feb 23 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

My usual solution to the witch object is a target if I have multiple drones is to sit in captions chare mode. The drones identify “things” I tell them witch they can shoot.

Edward

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Witch: What they burned in Salem
Which: one thing out of a number of them.

Now that thats out of the way, yeah, thats nice, you see 6 things, one is 2 meters in front of you, the next is 2.5 and slightly to the left, another is 3 and to the right. Theres another one 4 meters ahead of you, with the other 2 things behind it. Which do you shoot?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

Also, no, smartlinks (or sl2s) do NOT allow indirect fire via a spotter drone. That takes the battletac fddm control unit on the deck, the transmitter on the spotter drone, and another one on the fireing drone.

What's the point of designators then?

On sensor tests
1 success identifies biological, building, aircraft, ground vehicle
2 successes is general subtype - dragon, helicopter, hovercraft

1 success is also a target lock

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: Feb 23 2005, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #12

Dragon

I believe they're for things like guided missiles, which can follow a laser/microwave designator that is painting a target and be indirectly fired that way. However it simply locks onto the painted target, not getting any targetting information passed between the drones.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

Well, in theory, though not quite by the rules, indirect fire with a MMG using a spotter drone and smartlink2 would provide a -3 TN to the +8 Blind Fire, but still nerf the attack by making the drone use only it's pilot rating to fire.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Again, no, because you can't indirect fire with only a SL2. Also, you wouldn't get a -3, because its from the fireing drone, not from the spotter. Unless you had LOS from the drone fireing, you don't get -3. You do get the OPTION to use the MMG for blind-fire without having any los (direct or otherwise).

The drone would also get the complementary dice of half the spotters sensor rating with its pilot ala sensor-enhanced gunnery for fireing though.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

I'm reading the rules now. Indirect fire can happen with a designator OR battletac. Using a spotter drone with battletac (or in theory a designator - sensors can read reflected lasers, that's how the missiles work) can reduce the blind fire penalty on direct fire wepaons by -2 and Smartlink2 provides a -1 on indirect fire. In theory, that's a -3 TN to the +8 blind fire.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Yes, -3, but not due to direct LOS, and thanks for clarifying up that last little bit. I'll have to go over the indirect-fire rules in R3R/CC when I get home.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
[...] indirect fire with a MMG [...]

Personally, I think there's no way rules can be too harsh on anyone trying to pull that off.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #18

Beetle Eater

I suppose, technically, it's not indirect fire and thus wouldn't gain the -1 from the smartlink2. And, by the rules, only the battletac provides the -2 blind fire with a spotter drone.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Spotting with another drone ALLOWS you to indirect fire a direct fire weapon AE. That is what it LETS YOU DO. Thats about all it lets you do, you still get +8 blind-fire, and its quite unlikely you'll hit anything most of the time, but you get the chance to try. The battletac gives you a -2 to do so, dropping it to +6 for attempting it. At best, since it still is indirect fire, you might be able to get another -1 from a sl2 on the gun and sl2 integration kit. Thats still +5 for indirect fire, add on recoil, feasibility, and usefullness, and it almost never comes up in a game. If it does, its usually to shoot someone through a wall, get a micro-roto drone behind the wall spotting, and the armed drone can now shoot at the people through the wall, and with a MMG, you might actually have a chance of getting THROUGH the wall in the first place to hit them, much less actually hit them.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 23 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Tarantula)
K10, yes, direct LOS is -3. To achieve direct LOS you either need to be on an open field/road with you and the target and no obstructions (including smoke) in the way. Note, a city street doesn't give you LOS, if theres other cars, even off to the side between you and the target, not direct LOS, etc.

Basically, unless your vision modifier is +8 for blindfire, your sensor lock TN is -2 (and your attack roll TN is -3). I'm not seeing the disadvantage here.

Even then, three dice against TN 7 will get a success half the time, and in my experience it makes more sense to be jumped in during combat than not. I personally have yet to rely on a drone for combat.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #21

Beetle Eater

There is acutally a funny shift between Uniterrutpred LOS (-2 Sensor) and Direct LOS (-3 TN) which make Tarantula correct. Just read it.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Spotting with another drone ALLOWS you to indirect fire a direct fire weapon AE. That is what it LETS YOU DO. Thats about all it lets you do, you still get +8 blind-fire, and its quite unlikely you'll hit anything most of the time, but you get the chance to try.

If 'indirect' means firing through 100% concealment but 0% cover (say, through a paper wall), then I might buy that. In just about any other case, if a player of mine suggested indirect fire with a conventional, high-muzzle-velocity small arm, I'd give them a Cannon Companion enema.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #23

Dragon

"indirect" means somehow hitting a target you have 0% visibility on. As far as indirect vehicle weapons go.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Yes, I realize that. And, incidentally, the "paper wall" example is the only situation I can think of where there'd be zero visibility from the MMG to the target and where indirect fire could reasonably help. Well, either that or sensor blackout of some kind. If there's any kind of actual obstacle inbetween, as is the case with anything called "indirect fire" outside of SR, that's when I'd start rolling up the CC.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 23 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

So you reject the possibility of firing through hard cover?

~J

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.