> Sniper... or not?, annoying player
Brambles
post Feb 23 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,698

Hi there,

I recently started my first campaign, with all SR newbies (myself included).
One of my players always dominates over the other players, so I thought I had a great idea: I made him warm for the sniper idea.

In our first run everything was more or less fine. He set himself up in a tree around the villa, and sniped the guards (I admit I forgot to ask how he could put a sniper in a tree) :sleepy: I also made sure he couldn't enter the villa (one of his contacts was inside, and he didn't want to be recognised)

The second run he got back to his old habits.
He took his sniper rifle, used it as a normal rifle and killed without trouble all the monsters I had set up (it was in a sewers, with devil, or was it demon, rats and wererats). He also has a katana, wich he never uses... I think he'd rather use his rifle as a club. At last, I made one of the wererats pin him to the wall to make him stop using it. And with the money he got from the 2 runs, he upgraded even more, so he always hits.

Are there any special rules for sniping? Do you have any ideas on how to handle him? Do you use any house rules for these situations?

Thanks in advance,
Brambles.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Feb 23 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

make the 'monsters' stronger. give them higher armour or something.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

How is he getting the gun around? Have cops spot it, they aren't exactly tiny or anything. At least make rolls to have cops spot it, things of that nature, etc. The ammo is rather gun specific too, hows he getting more ammo? Does he have only one contact that can get him it? Maybe someone kidnaps that contact because they heard they can get this ammo, but the contact wouldn't sell, now he has to rescue his contact, but can't go get more ammo before-hand to do so.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Chibu)

...or don't. Make sure you're using all the valid TN modifiers, though. A bit of darkness, a bit of cover/concealment, a bit of movement, and TNs start rising fast. Also keep in mind that, when fighting against intelligent critters (such as most humans), they tend to stay out of sight once the first one gets his brains splattered all over the place. Once the enemies stop coming out for the sniper to kill them, he'll have to move in just like everybody else.

+Quote Post
Rolemodel
post Feb 23 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,094

Well. I suppose you could start by having his rifle bust in twain next time he uses what should be a fragile, highly precise instrument of long range destruction as a club. Or, really, any time he brings it into a motion intense situation. Such as battling wererats.

Afterall, last time I checked, snipers lay very still, and wait hours to take the perfect shot.

Afterall, a sight that's a hair of a milimeter off will really screw your aim over when you're sighting out two klicks.

-Now- as far as actually toning him down? I'm really not a fan of player censorship. If he happens to create a powerful concept within' the structure of the game, I applaud him. Perhaps you aught to suggest a few helpful augmentations to your other players, and include parts of your campaign that cannot be solved by mere combat alone.

For instance, give those electronics skills a spin. Or perhaps give your ex-KGB agent a chance to put his covert operations skills and stealth to use. And it never hurts to have a car chance, though I'd recommend you fudge the rules - Matrix/Vehicle rules have potential to bog your game down in sludge thicker than the coffee I make every morning.

-RoleModel

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Another option, make it an infiltration style run, he can either play over-watch and stare at windows all day long (while the real base happens to be underground), or, move in with the rest of the team, include a crawltunnel that while the teamembers can fit, the 6foot long sniper rifle can't, because it doesn't have a waist to bend at.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Feb 23 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

And don't allow him to use the bonus from the rifle's scope when he is in anything resembling CQB.

Apply some common sense here. A non-carbine rifle is very likely to "hung-up" when fighting in close quarters. And have you ever used a scoped rifle IRL? Scopes tend to have a narrow field of vision, and short range moving targets have a very easy time escaping that field of vision.

Like AE said, make sure you are applying all the proper target number mods. If he is in the prone with the rifle sitting on a bipod and the target is standing still, it SHOULD be easy for him to kill it. However, if he's running around in doors, treating his rifle like an SMG, his T#s should much, much higher.

Don't let the rules override your common sense.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 23 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

And, of course, the enemies could always use camouflage, or hide behind corners, or just be in a difficult place for you to get a shot (say doing something in the basement or deep within a building.

Give him jobs where he has to get his butt in the mud. Set up jobs where the emphasis is on speed, or where there can be no sign of his passing.

And then, of course, there's the fact that what goes around comes around. Remind him subtely (or not) that the bad guys can snipe too. See what smart tactics he comes up with then so he realizes NPCs don't always wander around in the open picking their noses.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Feb 23 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Another option, make it an infiltration style run, he can either play over-watch and stare at windows all day long (while the real base happens to be underground), or, move in with the rest of the team, include a crawltunnel that while the teamembers can fit, the 6foot long sniper rifle can't, because it doesn't have a waist to bend at.

Whoa....care to explain how a tunnel that is large enough to accommodate a normal human will be too small for a rifle? MAYBE you might have trouble if the rifle is slung diagonally across your back, but if you carry it with the barrel parallel to the ground, there shouldn't be any problem.

And for the record, not every "sniper rifle" is 6 feet long.
This one isn't even 4 feet long.
This one is barely 3 feet long.
This one is a bit over 4 feet.
And this one, one of the larger AMRs out there, is just a hair over 70 inches long.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #10

Dragon

I'm pretty sure the description for the barret rifle in the book says 5 or 6 feet long, and as I said, because the rifle doesn't have a waist to bend at. Quite simply, put in a 70º bend in said crawl-tunnel, enough so that someone can gradually bend themselves through it (requiring some athletics (escape artist) checks of course) however the dimensions of said rifle won't allow it to go. People can bend, a rifle can't. make a part where there is no physical way to fit a 5foot long chunk of metal through it, and now he has to leave it while they go in, or keep it and watch the exit.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Feb 23 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Hmm... If anything, people usually complain about the use of sniper rifles from a distance, when the enemies have no chance to shoot back... but anyway:

You should post again and list what equipment he has on that rifle, which rifle it is, exactly, and how he actually uses it in "normal" combat. For example - he's not using the bonuses from the scope and a smartlink at the same time, is he? Also, a list of his vision mods would be useful...

Finally, you have to keep in mind that a properly designed team of runners that has adequately prepped for a run should be blowing through most enemies with little effort expended and little or no damage suffered - eventually, even the best team will run into bad luck, and someone will go down, but unlike in, say, D&D, the fact that no one got hurt isn't really indicative of an encounter that was too easy.

+Quote Post
durthang
post Feb 23 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 5,668

Also keep in mind he isn't the first person to snipe. Any facility that someone is going to pay shadowrunners to break into is going to have built their defenses with a sniper in mind. Here are just a few ideas off the top of my head.

1.) Terrain. Something as simple as a wall can provide partial to total cover. Moving things indoors eliminates the possibility to snipe entirely. Depending on who owns the surrounding land, they may also have cleared it of trees and bushes that would provide cover for a sniper.

2.) Another sniper. Put the defending sniper up in a tower with a clear view of the surrounding terrain and he should be able to give your sniper a challenge to take out.

3.) Tightened security. When the perimeter guards stop reporting in, someone is going to notice. If the rest of the team still have to get inside to do whatever it was the Johnson wants when the place seals up tight and the HTR teams are called out, he may have to rethink his strategy.

4.) Drones and sentry guns. Unless he is using AV ammo, it isn't too hard to make that sniper ping off the side of a drone or vehicle. Sentry guns can go undetected until someone is unfortunate to trigger them. That will give the other runners something to deal with even after all of the guards have been sniped.

5.) Grenades, mortars, etc... Chances are the defenders will have a general idea where your sniper is after a shot or two. Some explosives lobbed in his general direction may not take him out, but will probably keep him too busy to snipe.

6.) Smoke/IR Smoke. Instant cover, especially if the defenders have ultrasound scopes or ware to defeat the smoke will the runners and sniper have to deal with the full modifiers.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Feb 23 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Brambles)
Are there any special rules for sniping? Do you have any ideas on how to handle him? Do you use any house rules for these situations?

Don't make every run one where a "sniper" is the solution. Urban, downtown settings, missions that involve keeping the mark moving or on the go will force the player to do more than just "pull the trigger".

On the other hand, if you plan on having many sniper-like runs, then lots of detail will be useful for helping him succeed or fail his missions. The movie "Sniper" with Tom Berrigner would make an interesting run for example.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 23 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
And don't allow him to use the bonus from the rifle's scope when he is in anything resembling CQB.

Irrelevant; in anything remotely resembling CQB, and quite a few things that don't, the target will be well within Short range.

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Feb 23 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #15

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Feb 23 2005, 11:28 AM)

Irrelevant; in anything remotely resembling CQB, and quite a few things that don't, the target will be well within Short range.

~J

What if you disallowed the sniper from taking making Aims when not using the scope? No iron sights, so you have to aim through the scope. Then, reverse the bonus for ranges, i.e a Mag 3 scope does poorly at Short Range cause everything is too big. And of course most sniper rifles aren't smart.

So outside of it's intended sniping role, someone with a sniper rifle would suffer from TN 4 + visibility and other mods + no Aim actions. Rough enough, but not too much.

+Quote Post
RoaminNose
post Feb 23 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 7,112

I didn't see anyone mention this, so....

In the core rulebook, the section about the Ranger Arms sniper rifle says that because of its precisely aligned parts and whatnot, it doesn't stand up well to normal combat use. The number of turns it is used in a normal combat role becomes the chance on a 2D6 roll that its precision parts become unaligned, giving it a +2 TN modifier to all tests (scoped or not). Now, I don't know anything about rifles, so maybe the RA is just a really lousy gun or something, but it seems to me that all sniper rifles should suffer that same penalty (except maybe the Walther MA-2100 which specifically says it is free of design instabilities).

Also, can I ask what you used as the Availability limit for your starting characters?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 23 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

So basically you could weaken the option with a lot of house-rules. You can do that already.

~J

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Feb 23 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 23 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Feb 23 2005, 11:28 AM)

~J

What if you disallowed the sniper from taking making Aims when not using the scope? No iron sights, so you have to aim through the scope. Then, reverse the bonus for ranges, i.e a Mag 3 scope does poorly at Short Range cause everything is too big. And of course most sniper rifles aren't smart.

So outside of it's intended sniping role, someone with a sniper rifle would suffer from TN 4 + visibility and other mods + no Aim actions. Rough enough, but not too much.

Don't change the rules to change situations, runners will adapt and continue to find a way to do what they want. Look more closely at the options you are giving them.

Also consider how easy it is to shoot and kill someone when you are positioned to do so, especially if the target isn't aware of your presence. Temper that with the fact SR purposefully doesn't have an insane amount of detail built into it for some reason and look back at my first point.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 23 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #19

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Brambles)
The second run he got back to his old habits.
He took his sniper rifle, used it as a normal rifle and killed without trouble all the monsters I had set up (it was in a sewers, with devil, or was it demon, rats and wererats).

Devil Rats and Demon Rats are rather intelligent and cunning for their size which is one reason why they are scary. Were you using their Concealment (Personal) power? The only way our characters ever found out about Devil Rats before they ambushed the crap out of us was using a spell specifically designed to detect Devil Rats (he was a paranormal exterminator Air Elementalist). A "sniper" probably should never get the drop on a Devil Rat on its home turf, unless he spent his life hunting them and knew their territory.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Feb 23 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Tarantula:

IRL, the Barrett Model 82A1 (known to the U.S. Military as the M-107) is 57 inches (144.48 centimeters) long, has a 29-inch-long (73.67 centimeters) barrel and weighs 34.6 pounds (11.9 kilograms).

It also can be disassembled for transport: just remove a couple of pins, and the upper and lower halves of the receiver separate. When disassembled, it will fit in a medium-sized carrying case--the longest part is only 38 inches (96.52 centimeters) long.

Here's a link: Barrett Rifles: M-107

Here's a disassembly video (you'll need RealPlayer): Barrett M-82A1 Field Strip video

TheOneRonin:

You left out a couple:

H-S Precision Takedown Sniper Rifle System ;

EDM Arms ;

and

Barrett Model XM109 25mm Semiautomatic Payload Rifle

The latter is probably the closest thing to a real-life Panther Assault Cannon.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Rev
post Feb 23 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

The main solution without a house rule is to start having the npc's play smarter.

When the first guy dies to a sniper all the others hide and backup is on the way. Backup that knows they are facing a sniper and so are ready for it with big elementals, astral guys to find the sniper, drones to snipe back, heavy weapons that out range the sniper, high force bullet barrier spells, etc.

But a house rule would also be nice, because shadowrun doesn't have a rule to prevent this.

If the guy is a real jerk the next time he starts to climb a tree just say "roll body against 14S APDS".

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Feb 23 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (Foreigner)
TheOneRonin:

You left out a couple:

H-S Precision Takedown Sniper Rifle System ;

and

Barrett Model XM109 25mm Semiautomatic Payload Rifle

The latter is probably the closest thing to a real-life Panther Assault Cannon.

--Foreigner

Haha....good choices. I knew I couldn't cover all of them, but you confirm my point that not all "sniper rifles" are 6 feet long.

Thanks for the links!

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 23 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

How is he getting the gun around? Have cops spot it, they aren't exactly tiny or anything.

Well. I suppose you could start by having his rifle bust in twain next time he uses what should be a fragile, highly precise instrument of long range destruction as a club.

All very good points. Uhm, does said character have the necessary B/R Firearms to keep that thing in top condition? Last time I checked toys like that needed extremely regular Mantainance.
Afterall, last time I checked, snipers lay very still, and wait hours to take the perfect shot.

Afterall, a sight that's a hair of a milimeter off will really screw your aim over when you're sighting out two klicks.

And then, of course, there's the fact that what goes around comes around. Remind him subtely (or not) that the bad guys can snipe too.

Also a good way of reminding him that Snipers, while great as a soldier working with an army, can make some pretty poor Runners at times.
He also has a katana, wich he never uses... I think he'd rather use his rifle as a club.

Then Put him up against something that laughs at bullets, say a Free Spirit, or an Earth Elemental...

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 23 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Weredigo)
He also has a katana, wich he never uses... I think he'd rather use his rifle as a club.

Then Put him up against something that laughs at bullets, say a Free Spirit, or an Earth Elemental...

Free spirits and Elementals laugh at clubs and katanas, too. Or rather more appropriately, they don't laugh at all, but shrug off Normal Weapons due to their Immunity to Normal Weapons power.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 23 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

given the high power of most sniper rifles, few free spirits are going to be laughing them off.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.