IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So, Can We Make The Predator?, Recon we can do it?
Leviathan
post Feb 25 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,305

So, anyone got any ideas on how to create The Predator in Shadowrun? Equipment should be able to be worked out pretty easy, race, stats and skills may be a little harder, any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Heh, I recall with fondness my PC who earned the nickname Predator for his ruthenium polymer'd heavy security armour (with all the trimmings). He bowed to the inevitable and had his weaponsmith contact make some custom gear for him, including a sleeve pistol (modified cyberarm gun) and a retractable polearm :)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 25 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

You know, I wanted to do a campaign based on this once, but I never got around to it. The theme would be that the Predator shows up and tries to kill all the PC, and they have to kill it even though they're outmatched, with lots of cat-and-mouse just like in the movies. The fun bit would be each PC would have a turn being the Predator against a new set of characters played by everyone else, then after 5 rounds, they'd all have lots of fun "I so owned you" stories. PvP Shadowrun. I never got around to it, though.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Page 278 SR3. Done.

(I can't believe I got it off first!)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 25 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Only because some of us refrained :P

~J

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Restraint is for other games and discussion boards. I revel in SR extremism.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Pthgar)
Page 278 SR3. Done.

(I can't believe I got it off first!)

P. 278... I got the AK-97, Remington 750, Ranger Arms SM3 and a weapons table?

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

In the table, not the text. Stats are the highest form of rules info. :sleepy:

So as not to hijack this thread, is the Predator a human, meta, metavariant, or totally alien? You could go with a psycho troll adept that follows a unique twisted way (Hunter of Meta-Humans) based on the movie. Maybe he even went and had some cosmetic surgery or gene therapy to look more Predator-ish. I think that's what I would do. Less cheese.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Doh, okay yeah I get it. It's only been a two cup of coffee day, give me a break :sleepy:

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Feb 25 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You know, I wanted to do a campaign based on this once, but I never got around to it. The theme would be that the Predator shows up and tries to kill all the PC, and they have to kill it even though they're outmatched, with lots of cat-and-mouse just like in the movies. The fun bit would be each PC would have a turn being the Predator against a new set of characters played by everyone else, then after 5 rounds, they'd all have lots of fun "I so owned you" stories. PvP Shadowrun. I never got around to it, though.

Would those be standard PCs, or wussified ones? Because against most SR groups, a Predator would be in for the beating of his life - although he'd likely manage to badly hurt or kill someone first.

In the movies, they go down hard, but they do eventually go down to unaugmented mundanes. Faced with massive reaction augmentation, magic, or a STR 15 troll with a melee weapon, they'd be screwed.

All they have really going for them is their stealth, which is something SR technology can duplicate, and has multiple ways - thermal and ultrasound vision, astral perception - of getting around.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Feb 25 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (Pthgar @ Feb 25 2005, 10:21 AM)
In the table, not the text.  Stats are the highest form of rules info. :sleepy:

So as not to hijack this thread, is the Predator a human, meta, metavariant, or totally alien?  You could go with a psycho troll adept that follows a unique twisted way (Hunter of Meta-Humans) based on the movie.  Maybe he even went and had some cosmetic surgery or gene therapy to look more Predator-ish.  I think that's what I would do.  Less cheese.

Well, if you don't want to use an alien, then definitely a heavily augmented human or an orc. They're big, but they're nowehre near troll size - and actually seem to be quicker than the human norm, not slower.

I'd say stats in the 10 body, 10 strength, 6 quickness range, orthoskin, some low-level bone lacing, a balance augmenter, possibly climbing claws, high (six-eight) athletics, unarmed, hand razors (or equivalent), polearm and throwing skills, decent stealth skill (although not great, they rely mostly on their tech there), decent whatever-gun skill. (although, again, no reason to think it'd be anything special, their main advantage is the fact they have a smartlinked gun in a world where no one else does, and they mainly shoot it at unsuspecting targets).

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #12

Running Target

A gene-teched psycho troll adept serial killer who thinks he's a Predator...

That's SO got to be done. Ex-corporate or government agent would give him access to the toys (hell, maybe a current agent, or kind of - point him and let him go, he's so nuts you'd never get anything useful out of him if you DID catch him).

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (mmu1 @ Feb 25 2005, 11:43 AM)
Well, if you don't want to use an alien, then definitely a heavily augmented human or an orc. They're big, but they're nowehre near troll size - and actually seem to be quicker than the human norm, not slower.

I disagree about the size. Remember, the actors in the first movie were mostly tall guys, making the Predator seem smaller than he really was. The actor who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, was 7'2" (sadly he died '91). That is on the small side but well within troll size. I suppose it could be on the tall end for an ork.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Feb 25 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Pthgar @ Feb 25 2005, 10:56 AM)
I disagree about the size.  Remember, the actors in the first movie were mostly tall guys, making the Predator seem smaller than he really was.  The actor who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, was 7'2" (sadly he died '91).  That is well within troll size.

Trolls are around 3 meters / 10 feet tall. On average. Even if Predators were much larger than in the movies, and were around 8 feet tall (and why assume that they're taller than the actors that played them?) they wouldn't even come close to being as large as trolls. The difference in bulk would be greater than between a 5' tall and 6' tall human, which is massive.

Orc-sized, at best.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 25 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I gotta agree with Orc being the best match for Preds as far as body size/strength etc go. Perhaps preds have higher maxes, (maybe they have heavier gravity or something, who knows) but they definately aren't troll sized.

As far as gear, I agree with most of what mmu posted, retractable spurs instead of handrazors, I'd even be willing to say an articulated arm with a smartlinked lazer weapon (shoulder cannon) wouldn't be pushing it too far. Ruthenium of course. Some decent medkits, I'm not too sure how the circle of death would work out, but throwing skill for sure, polearms (for their spears), an assload of electronics skill, area-effect cranial bomb. I'm not so sure about orthoskin/bonelacing. Bonelacing to simulate the thicker bones, maybe, but not actually having their bones laced. Don't forget the biotech skill, they gotta get those trophies out somehow.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

P. 47 SR3
Trolls 2.8m=9.2ft
Ork 1.9m=6.2ft
Predator 7'2"~8ft

I still say that Predators are in the middle and could be tall orks or short trolls. Which ever works for you.

Heck, as far as height goes they could be tall elves. If you want to add all kinds of artificial muscle mass, Icould go with that.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 25 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

IIRC Trolls average in at 2.8 meters, making ten feet a moderately tall Troll. Then again, that's still over nine feet tall.

Edit: too slow. How do you get 7'2" as ~8 feet, though?

~J

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Sorry I used the tilde (~) as meaning "between."

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Feb 25 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Feb 25 2005, 11:11 AM)
As far as gear, I agree with most of what mmu posted, retractable spurs instead of handrazors, I'd even be willing to say an articulated arm with a smartlinked lazer weapon (shoulder cannon) wouldn't be pushing it too far.  Ruthenium of course.  Some decent medkits, I'm not too sure how the circle of death would work out, but throwing skill for sure, polearms (for their spears), an assload of electronics skill, area-effect cranial bomb.  I'm not so sure about orthoskin/bonelacing.  Bonelacing to simulate the thicker bones, maybe, but not actually having their bones laced.  Don't forget the biotech skill, they gotta get those trophies out somehow.

I meant the bone lacing as a way of simulating stronger bones - all those bony ridges and spurs they have.

I brought up Orthoskin mainly because of the subway scene in Predator 2 - multiple handguns unloaded at can't-miss range, with nothing to show for it (IIRC) but ricochets, despite the fact they wear very little armor aside from the helmet - and none on the torso. I think there were other instances too of Predators shrugging off gunfire in ways that made it look like the enemies couldn't have possibly missed with all the shots.

If not orthoskin, some sort of dermal armor - whatever they're covered in is tougher than human skin.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 25 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Dermal sheathing? Ruthenium coated?

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Feb 25 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
IIRC Trolls average in at 2.8 meters, making ten feet a moderately tall Troll. Then again, that's still over nine feet tall.

Edit: too slow. How do you get 7'2" as ~8 feet, though?

~J

Fair enough, but that's still 7'2" for the predator, 9'2" for a troll. (and hey, if the Predators magically gain a foot of height, so can my trolls ;))

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 25 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Pthgar)
The actor who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, was 7'2" (sadly he died '91).

Interesting note: The person inside the original Predator suit (it was totally redone during the actual shoot) was none other that Jean Claude Van Damme. He whined the entire time about it too, and actually passed out several times from the heat.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Heh :) Still amuses me that, at the height of his fame, Van Damme had to have bodyguards because of the legal repurcussions if he hit someone :wobble:

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Feb 25 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'm not certain, but I think someone saved you the trouble a while back.

Check this out:

Morrigu's Shadowsource Shadowrun FTP Archive

Scroll down to "Cyber and Bioware" on the main page; then left-click on the link entitled "The Freak Show"; after that, scroll down to "Dermal Ruthenium",

There's also a conversion of "The Predator" for SR:

Scroll down to "Predator" under the heading "Paranormals", then left-click.

Fortune: IIRC, part of Van Damme's performance made it into the final version of the film--it was he, not Kevin Peter Hall, who played the role for the brief sequence in which the Predator--invisible, except for a brief time when first his eyes, then his entire body was shown--was moving through the trees.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 25 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I believe most of the long shots of the Predator are actually Van Damme. The close-ups and detail are Hall (except as you noted) in the re-worked suit, which wasn't done until very late in the filming schedule.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.