IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favorite Game Moment: as GM or Player, Whats Your Best memory of a Game?
Renfield
post Feb 27 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,120

Here's a Godo Question for you all what is your SINGLE favorite gaming moment for Shadowrun? The one that brings the smile back to your face ever time you think about it.

Mine was when I started my new campaign. Their first job was to intercept a shipment of Cargo going through the Barren's. One of the characters, named "Twitch" is a heavily biowared-up speed-monkey Amnesiac obsessed with old 2-D movies and TV shows. Believed life should be just like TV ull of drama, explosions and action.
So they set up a blockade/ambush point that included small smoke/firebombs to torch some old cars and a pulley system to haul a wreck into place behind the convoy preventing escape. Meantime "Twitch", stuck on an "A-Team" Obsession and deciding he's "Hannibal" purchase some cigars and...a Godzilla suit. Yes he stood in the middle of the road in the Godzilla suit, chomping a cigar and pointing an Ares Predator at the lead truck. Just one of those Fun GM moments that was so surreal I decided the guards were just too shocked to react properly. Great moment!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Feb 27 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

One player fell asleep during a session so he was sodomized by a troll. Classic.

+Quote Post
AIM-54
post Feb 27 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 5,648

Well, the two other PCs in this game had some interesting interactions resulting in one knocking the other unconscious. My character wasn't present at that point, as he was meeting them at another location where we were going to do some legwork. So, the conscious character takes the unconscious one to the place and leaves him in the truck. We do our thing and when we come back there's some gangers or something going through our truck. I'm playing a houngan, so I summon a loa to take over the unconscious character's body, which then slaughters (he was an Ogoun houngan...) the gangers.

The PC comes to, covered in the blood of those guys without any clue what had happened.

It was a one-shot and a heckuva lot of fun. :D

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Feb 27 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

We were paying off our decker with a favor rather than cash by "sending a message" to some people who had stiffed him previously. One of the people that we were supposed to rough up was running a safehouse for a previous employer of ours.

Riddle walks up, rings the doorbell. And rings the doorbell. And rings the doorbell... Eventually the guy asks "What is the atomic weight of lead?" to which Riddle answers, "Fuck you." (A similar question had been the password at the previous safehouse.) Guy opens the door, and Riddle quick-draws his Pred and shoots the guy in the left knee, followed by another shot to the right knee before he could hit the ground. As the guy is bleeding from his stumps, Riddle picks him up by the collar and says, "Don't fuck with your decker."

The rest of the scene is good, too...Ballisto broke out the blow torch to cauterize the guy's legs, we raided his fridge for beer, and of course Riddle went through his pockets and took enough cash to buy 2 bullets.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 27 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Actually the funniest thing just happened yesterday in our group...in a milk run into the Arcology to get an informant's chip (which he left in a bathroom stall with a peace sign in the Mall) Lina's new troll character "Boom"(Charisma 2, Int 3, flaw - compulsive: talking to himself) decided to get a staff so at least he'd be armed in the Arcology. So he visited one of those Faux-African places you see in every mall. I pointed out a "authentic" African tribal mask which looked really cool - on a whim Boom bought it for 60 nuyen (yes, it even had a "Made in China" tag in it, but he didn't see it). He then proceeded to wear it INSIDE THE MALL during the entire run and scaring small children and causing the Mall guards to break down in laughter. Combine that with talking to himself and disagreeing with everyone who tried to tell him it wasn't authentic...

Funniest thing I've ever seen. He got tons of karma for humor points.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Feb 27 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

I was running a game one Halloween during which I did such horrible things that my players, of their own volition, ate metahuman flesh. Ghoul flesh to be specific.

And none of them were ghouls at that point.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 27 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Large Mike)
I was running a game one Halloween during which I did such horrible things that my players, of their own volition, ate metahuman flesh. Ghoul flesh to be specific.

Gah! Please describe...I want to know what you did so I can do it to mine!

Puhweeze?

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Feb 27 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #8

It's for winners

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,067

My best one has to be when i was playing my troll shaman brindle (cat totem) and had a dwarf co-runner, we were trying to get into an apartment, totaly fudged my role and bounced off this door ( normal door mind you, i think i roles something like 3 1's). The dwarf runs up and gets a fantastic dice role, go's flying through the door straight into the face of a few heavys, takes one of them out with the door, my troll gets up off her ass and trys to interrogate one of the dazed heavys, as he was a member of the humanis policlub he would talk. The dwarf said ruff him up abit so i ended up pulling his head off.

Got extra karma for making the GM laugh!!

torz x :D

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Feb 28 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #9

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

My favorite moment came when I watched my players come together as a team for the first time. After 3 years and maybe 15-20 character deaths between them, they finally figured it out. They got ambushed while having breakfast and with no player communication at all, they moved out, covered up, flanked their attackers and killed twice their number without a suffering a scratch.

It was a wonderful feeling to see all my hard work finally pay off.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Feb 28 2005, 01:52 AM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Large Mike)

Gah! Please describe...I want to know what you did so I can do it to mine!

Puhweeze?

They had, previously, each been taken in by Aztechnology, heavily sedated, and used as test subjects and were being molded into Aztech super-soldiers.

Then, a generic something nasty happened that let everything with the ability to escape do so. The various projects and paracritters killed anything that didn't escape the then locked down section of the teocalli.

When they came too, the runner were naked and confused, and they'd been given nutrient IVs for the past several weeks, so they were so hungry they got target number modifiers.

Hijinks later (and an inability to gather food), they stubled across a blood-soaked massacre that still had some humanoid scraps of bodies about. They immediatly decended upon the meat and got through a half a leg before the physad decided to start cooking the rest with his Elemental Strike power.

Other interesting things that happened that run: The players narrowly outran and held off a hoard of (easily three dozen) ghouls, encountered another massacre where the blood all over the walls and floor began to take humanoid form a la T1000, the physad ended up gibbering to himself inside a circle of salt with the severed head of his fixer beside a man who had subsisted entirely on his own feces for long enough to grow a beard, they encountered the corpse of a juggernaut, and a seven year old boy displaying the power of cold aura tried to spin them into cocoons and lay eggs in their abdomens (and nearly suceeded).

I still have that run. Maybe I'll post it at some point.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 28 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

My favoritemoment came when my PC and the rest of the team were captured by California militia while out camping in the southern parts of the Tir (long story). We all ended up tied to trees, with my PC getting some extra special TLC because he was the only sapien sapien in the group.

As it happened, the whole team was engaged in various hijinks to get themselves free and rectify the situation, and we all managed to do it pretty much at once. So more or less simaltanously, the face with the shotgun cyberhand broke free, while the forest spirit my adept convinced to help us manifested and used it's fear effect. Militiamen went scattering everywhere, one in particular (he'd been a real tool) running past my PC.

Sandoval was mad. He'd been narcojetted, tied to a tree, threatend with messy death, and been made fun of for stuttering. "I kick him in the junk," I said, using my full combat pool on the attack (he also had killing hands M, which the GM ruled applied to all unarmed attacks). Every die for the attack came up a success, and militiaman failed to roll above 3 on his soak.

If Sandoval was still active today, I think he would fondly recall the day he kicked a man in the groin so hard his head exploded.

+Quote Post
LynGrey
post Feb 28 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,100

Well my character and his buddy another PC being i think 50+ karma character were invited to get in a game with some n00bs... well we had to think of a story to go to the east coast from Seattle... wellll...... My character sporting an half a mil car decided to go on a road trip... i had a buddy on tour (Troll drummer) and he was on the east coast, so gave him a call and he hooked us up with a meet.

Well.. when we first arrive to town, given me and my buddy we are both in our thritys, i still have that I look 23 and act still look rigger/decker ex Military special ops.. thinking i am going to a resort.. wearing an unbutton Hawianan T-Shirt and some dark cargo shorts like i'm going to the beach... standing at a gas station pumping gas, smoking a cigarette.. in a run down, gang ran slummy place. Let you know I'm wearing like some pimp shades and my hair is kind of like just blown back and stuck in that position.... My Buddy is a decker that is kind of grummpier and a bit more serious but highly comical ... comes back from the Store with a hughe slushy and some ork-rigns. This is where we met our man too... imagine the first impression... it was quit comical the descriptions we were giving. But most of the characters playing that had a grasp of the system and were all like "we are waring lined coast/dusters and lots of tatical gear" But If i remember correctly i think i had an ork that was tiny bit interesting in my cred stick or car.. i dunno.. but he approcached and i just ashed my cigarette and he walked away =) Even the most toughest orks don't like to explode.

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Feb 28 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
If Sandoval was still active today, I think he would fondly recall the day he kicked a man in the groin so hard his head exploded.

I say, good show!

Perhaps at some point it will be time to reactivate him, eh?

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 28 2005, 07:08 AM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Large Mike)
They had, previously, each been taken in by Aztechnology, heavily sedated, and used as test subjects and were being molded into Aztech super-soldiers.

Then, a generic something nasty happened that let everything with the ability to escape do so. The various projects and paracritters killed anything that didn't escape the then locked down section of the teocalli.

When they came too, the runner were naked and confused, and they'd been given nutrient IVs for the past several weeks, so they were so hungry they got target number modifiers.

Hijinks later (and an inability to gather food), they stubled across a blood-soaked massacre that still had some humanoid scraps of bodies about. They immediatly decended upon the meat and got through a half a leg before the physad decided to start cooking the rest with his Elemental Strike power.

Other interesting things that happened that run: The players narrowly outran and held off a hoard of (easily three dozen) ghouls, encountered another massacre where the blood all over the walls and floor began to take humanoid form a la T1000, the physad ended up gibbering to himself inside a circle of salt with the severed head of his fixer beside a man who had subsisted entirely on his own feces for long enough to grow a beard, they encountered the corpse of a juggernaut, and a seven year old boy displaying the power of cold aura tried to spin them into cocoons and lay eggs in their abdomens (and nearly suceeded).

oy! That really is evil...me likes!

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 28 2005, 07:13 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Feb 27 2005, 09:11 PM)

I say, good show!

Perhaps at some point it will be time to reactivate him, eh?

It'd be nice, but that campaign is on hiatus because the GM is too busy with school matters to game period, much less run a campaign.

It's too bad, because he was a fun character (you could accuse me ripping off Tony Shaloub's Adrian Monk when I designed him, except that he predated the show, and had y'know, killing hands).

As for Large Mike's game... that's a story I really want to hear.

+Quote Post
Renfield
post Feb 28 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

THAT was a lot funnier than my exploding head story.

I was playing a Troll PhysAd named Max (Maximillian) who was pretty much your basic bare-knuckle martial arts-type contemplative warrior. We were doing one of the original Harlequin missions, the trip to Germany. When the Terrorists tried to take over max just stood up and smacked one hard enough to tear his head off his shoulders, knocking it down the aisle hard enough to kill the next terrorist in line. That pretty much took the fight of the terrorist.
I think one of the other players later comment when looking at the decapitated head was; "That's using your head properly..."

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Feb 28 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Our team was hired to 'clean out' a rave party at an abandoned warehouse run by a Seoulpa Ring. Our troll stayed in the parking lot as backup with his auto shotgun (w/ ammo drum) inside his duffel bag. The rest of the team, a gun physad, a gunbunny, the mage, and my hand to han physad went into the party. The troll had been already tagged and warned by the troll bouncer in the parking lot that he had his eyes on him.

When we went to the lines for the btl pushers, we opened up on then with our guns in precise shots taking out the dealers and their bodyguards, this caused lots of mayhem by the crowds as they began to stream out of the warehouse running and screaming. The troll in the parking lot whips out his shotgun and proceeds to get into a shootout on full auto with the troll bouncer and his shotgun. The GM tells the player of the troll that he had a high TN to hit the other troll due to the crowds. Our player responds that he had gone full auto in the previous round with flachette rounds... there is NO crowd cover left against the troll... :eek:

This causes a heavy response by Lone Star due to reports of heavy weapons fire in the warehouse district and they send fast response of helicopters and a fast response team. We were on the clock of getting out in time.

The troll after finally taking out the other troll, he had to get to the slug rounds on his auto shotgun to take him out. Hops on his bike, radios to us about the incoming cops and then drives off... peacefully passing the cops as they raced to the warehouse. My character being one of the slowest couldn't get back to the team car in time and managed to watch the Lone Star helo open up on the car with machine guns. The gun physad and gunbunny got out in time and ran by me back into the warehouse. We managed to get out by running out the back on foot, dodging cops, I wiped my gun before dropping it into a trash bin, and hopped on the subway.

The mage... he didn't get out of the car in time and got pasted by the machine gun fire. He might have lived with his docwagon bracelet that was squealing away... But the Lone Star response were Shadowriders and they didn't give him a chance to try the free resuscitation that Doc Wagon provides on his plan. One of the few character deaths of our group.

Still, I loved the GM's reaction when the player said with a large evil, evil grin, 'Dan, I fired full auto with my flachette rounds.... There is NO crowd...'.

Yes, my old group used silenced weapons a lot. If we used anything large and full auto, it draws a nasty response... tends to make us careful runners.

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Feb 28 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

QUOTE (Large Mike)

I think that I can safely say we would love to see it.

So please post it up for us, or PM it to the interested parties.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Feb 28 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #19

Running Target

I'll transcribe the notes when I get around to it (no promises, I'm bad about projects) and see what I can do about scanning the maps. I'll probably see if Missions will take it, or possibly TSS. Failing that, I'll just throw it up somewhere and post a link.

+Quote Post
Renfield
post Feb 28 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #20

Target

So much for single best moment...

Here's on of the Best. Back in the day when we had a 5-year running SR game I was taking my turn as GM and decided that it was high time the party had...a vacation.
Yes cringe in fear, Shadowrunners on Vacation...in Hawaii nonetheless...
Amongst the many Hijinks that ensued was a plan to go on a Deep Sea Shark-fishing expedition (Natch they hook a Megaladon..tale for another time). So being Shadowrunners they take time to go 'Gear up'...ie - Purchasuing wetsuits, fishing gear so on and so forth...this is where it goes downhill. There was an Troll-sized Whaling Harpoon on the wall of the shop...and the team Troll, Cross-bonz by name, was immediately fascinated by the shiny (Yes, before the days of Bioware and Intelligence Boosters...not that he'd have bought it anyway, like being dumb.) toy. When he asked what it was for one of the team-members, deciding to have fun with him, jumped in and explained that it was hunting the rare and dangerous Jeep. So he bought it, walk outside and promptly 'Killed' a Jeep via chucking it completely through the engine block....And so the legendary Hawaiian Jeep-Hunting expeditions began...too much fun and a well-remembered game to boot.

As for the Megaladon story, well can you imagine a bunch of Shadowrunners on vacation, none of their usual gear availible? I think they finally just over-killed it but I can't quite recall, I just remembered blood gibbets for leftovers and Crozz-bonz being very unhappy about the lack of Body. Oh well...

+Quote Post
Smed
post Feb 28 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

About 10 years ago the group I was playing with was about to break up due to two of the players moving to another city. We decided to have one last run, and bit off a little more than we could chew.

We were hired to go down to Central America and break a rebel leader out of a Azzie jail. My rigger converted her helicopter to look like an Azzie army Medivac chopper and came in to pick up the team, who had snuck into the jail and sprung the guy. The whole flight in we were praying the military passcodes our decker had obtained were accurate. We made it in, picked up the rest of the team and the rebel leader, and took off for the border.

About 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico we met up with two Azzie jet fighter aircraft and were trying to talk our way past them over the radio when we had the misfortune of flying over a rebel force, who decided to send a few Surface to Air missiles our way as we were still disguised as an Azzie Medivac chopper.

The two jets dodged the first missiles, but we didn't. We were flying but losing altitude, with everyone swearing at being hit by friendly fire. It was fun watching the Azzie Jet aircraft try to protect us from the rebels. We hadn't told the rebel forces we were attempting this mission as their security was terrible, and even though we were likely about to die we enjoyed the irony of our allies trying to kill us while our enemies tried to protect us.

We kept going while the jet fighters tangled with the rebels. Five minutes later we heard an alert go out on the radio, identifying us as impersonating a medivac helicopter. We knew we only had a few minutes before those fighters caught up with us, so I set the helicopter down in a small clearing, we all jumped out, then my rigger remote piloted the helicopter until the jet fighters caught up with it. As they approached, everyone watched from a distance as the rigger instructed the helicopter's drone pilot to fly the helicopter in to a nearby mountain.

It blew up in a ball of fire, reducing the net worth of my rigger by a million nuyen or so. The wrecked helicopter gave us a head start, but they soon figured out it was empty and sent search teams out to get us. We walked the rest of the way out of the jungle, eventually making it back to civilization with only half the team left dead in the jungle. My rigger was broke, had lost most of her drones and her major source of transportation, and had caught a jungle disease that turned out to be very tough to cure.

I played the character again periodically after my group split up. It took enough runs to get about 150 karma before she was able to fully replace the gear she lost in that one run. While we had many more succesful runs over the years, that one was theone we still talk about.

+Quote Post
BrazilRascal
post Feb 28 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,115

GMing Metagene, when they break into the infected Lab. Did a pretty good job of describing the eerie atmosphere, the clicking nopises in the air vents, the moans through walls, the viscous texture of each new aberration. Had the entire party so freaked out that they barely noticed that, combat-wise, it's a prety easy part of the adventure.

Then, after they got out and started gettig itches and fevers (a side-effect of wading through the sewer to get there), they all agreed to a suicide pact, thinking they were infected and unwilling to spread contagion around the world. They all blew their brains out, because of a false belief that they were going to mutated and die horrible deaths, or get captured and probed by some megacorp if they went for medical help.

I was half-shocked, half endlessly amused, and gave them karma boonuses for the new characters. They almost made me fit into a drawer when I told them they just had a bad case of rash and disentery, though.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 28 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #23

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

wouldnt the biotech skill MAYBE give them some clue? lol, poor SOBs

+Quote Post
Mensche
post Mar 1 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 4,088

I was GMing a game with this extremely overconfident player, the kind that pesters you non stop about every single aspect of their character and doesnt let you run the game, because they're too busy telling you the shoe size and color of underwear their character is wearing....and all the cyberware, skills, etc....it was nonstop let me tell you.

so this character is an adept of the SILENT WAY, keep this in mind, and he never has a "bad day", everythings null sweat cuz hes the best, right?
the group was in a bar, i introduced the plot and Jhonson, the rest of the party goes to do some legwork, and he wants to go to his apartment to change, get gear, etc...
"so how do you get there?" i ask
"uh...I'll get a ride with the others."
"no you dont, they left the bar already. and their van is packed. and your new to their group so they dont like/trust you. lemme guess, you dont drive or bike?"
"no. I'll take a cab."

just the moment i was looking for. i had scripted an encounter before hand involving a cab. the first cab any PC gets in will be illegitamate, actually an organ legging delivery capsule.
he gets in. sits down. on a bunch of gamma scop needles. then gets sprayed with a DMSO solution with gamma, and some knockout gas...last thing he sees is the cabbie wearing a gas mask.

extremely lame on my part, but most memorable for sure. man i hated that character. he didnt have to get in. he couldve been paranoid and did some perception checks before getting in the cab (couldve noticed the holes in the seat and the stains all over the ceiling and interior from constant moisture damage)

so the cab drops him off and he wakes up on a surgery table. next to him some Lonestar cop is getting cut up.
his character is an escape artist (not to my surprise, he was a total twink) and i throw him a bone.
"oh, snap. one of the restraints holding you down IS lose!"
so when its his turn to get cup he turns the weapon on the assailant.
he gets free and finds himself in a strange place. with light fixtures hanging everywhere. so get this, SILENT WAY adept boy SHOOTS OUT THE LIGHTS, creating lots of noise for the ghouls to come find him.

yeah, memorable. he could of got out if he stuck to the character he shouldve been roleplaying. Silent way my ass.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 1 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #25

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Mensche)
extremely lame on my part

I'll agree, two thumbs up.

QUOTE (Mensche)
he didnt have to get in.

He didn't have to play either. You gave him little choice and his taking a cab was viable solution.

QUOTE (Mensche)
he couldve been paranoid and did some perception checks before getting in the cab (couldve noticed the holes in the seat and the stains all over the ceiling and interior from constant moisture damage)

Do you commonly have the players further interrupt your game with constant perception checks, or is this something this player usually did that irritated you? I usually call for a perception check or make a secret one for them.

The rest demonstrates much better what a pain this character/player may have been.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.