IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Martial Arts Questions, I'll put a capoiera in yo a....
DocMortand
post Feb 27 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,734

One of my new players is going to do a martial arts with his char (a very cool amnesia char that's got an ornate backstory hashed out between me and him), and since I hadn't really done martial arts in SR yet (keeping things simple to start my GM career) I decided to open up the whole can of worms.

Now it looks fun, and probably will spice things up. But I need to know about a few of the advanced maneuvers and things that will probably crop up. It does say that you can only do a particular maneuver once per combat phase.

1) Focus Strength - you can pump up your strength, and it lasts till your next combat phase. Can you do this repeatedly before you enter into combat? I.E. spend a couple passes pumping up and then attack with a mother of all attacks?

2) Focus Will - same as 1. Both of these are simple actions rather than complex in Tai Chi, and I know at least two characters (both mages) who will JUMP at Tai Chi if pumping up is kosher. They'll jump at it anyways (+2 Will ain't something to sneeze at against spirits in a will battle), but I need ta know.

3) Sweep - is it possible to sweep multiple targets in a single move? I know technically it should be possible, and is demonstrated in many a martial arts show.

Also - anyone ever heard of the martial art called Chambara? It's a weapons fighting art I actually trained in briefly before I had to move, but I'm curious if anyone ever created a custom martial art based on it, and what the ads/disads/maneuvers are in it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 27 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Focus Strength lasts until the +1 power is used. It ends when the +1 power is used. So even if you do it repeatedly, it only adds 1 power ever.

Focus Will, Same wording, only ever get +2 on your next melee engagement whether attacking or defending. It ends once the +2 is used.

Another way to wordsmith it is that only 1 maneuver may be used per combat phase. These maneuvers don't end until you use their bonus, and as such, you can't use any other maneuvers until the phase after which you used them.

As far as sweep goes, use the maneuver, and attack multiple targets all at once with +2 for each after the first. Hope you're in range, and otherwise, you're good for sweeping all of them at once.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 27 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #3

Running Target

*blink* That's a good way of explaining things, thanks.

Now for Chambara - it teaches some of kempo (art of sword), some fencing, some iado (art of drawing sword)...I believe it was originally thai or brazilian. While I was learning, we learned all variants of weapons from polearms to two short swords to katanas. Supposedly there was nunchaku as well, but we didn't get that far. It's primarily polearm, katana, short sword w/ shield, two short swords.

Is this balanced?

Chambara
Advantage: Instead of choosing a Chambara maneuver, the character may choose to apply a previously learned maneuver to an edged weapon or polearm/staff skill. Due to the armed nature and discipline of redirecting opponent's weapons, there is +1 die for disarming and called shot options.
Disadvantage: There is -2 dice when the character does not have a weapon.
Maneuvers: Close Combat, Evasion, Focus Strength, Full Offense, Herding, Multi-strike, Vicious Blow, Whirling, Zoning

Just throwing it out there...nobody will probably use it, but I know this martial art exists and it's kinda neat - the only pure weapon art outside Japan that I know of. (I may be wrong there, but I DID say "that I know of")

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 27 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Kendo is the art of sword. Kenpo (Kempo) is empty hand.

As far as that art goes... Considering its 2 maneuvers for whatever you want to use a weapon with, it rather sucks quite a bit. Considering that, its fine by me.

+Quote Post
zenpoetsix
post Feb 27 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 1,066

asking for clarification:

i thought you couldn't combine a martial art maneuver with a combat option unless it specifically says so under the description. for example. under the tae kwan do description it says you can combine the disarm combat option with the kick attack. it doesn't say that with capoeira. so i wouldn't allow it as a gm. please tell me if i understood the rules wrong. i don't want to be handicapping my players.

thanks.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 27 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Yeah, it's kendo, my bad. And they aren't maneuvers, they're combat options...I got the inspiration from Pentjak-Silat...so does that make it any better?

[edit] erk, I meant to say if it's not in the maneuver description (which in this case it isn't) and the char doesn't have tae kwon do then you can't disarm with a kick attack.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 27 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #7

Dragon

zen, you're correct that you can't disarm with a kick attack unless it says you are allowed to. Attacking multiple targets at once is not a combat option however, and you can do so with the usual penalties with a maneuver. (If it was an option, then the multi-strike maneuver would have to explicitly allow you to use it with the attack multiple people, which it doesn't, so you can attack 5 people in one attack with sweep on all of them).

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 27 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Heh...I'm just terrified that my group may not like the added complexity. Any of you GMs out there use Martial Arts in your games? If so how did it work out?

+Quote Post
zenpoetsix
post Feb 28 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 1,066

COOL...thanks, tarantula for clearing that up!!!

ive been using the martial arts rules since the cannon companion came out and, so far, i haven't had any problems with it. most players just pick up brawling without buying any maneuvers. the adept has tae kwan do with a bunch of manuvers and the elven face has that elven martial art that i can never learn to spell. basically, martial arts in my games are used as background and flair.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 28 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Focus Strength lasts until the +1 power is used. It ends when the +1 power is used. So even if you do it repeatedly, it only adds 1 power ever.

Focus Will, Same wording, only ever get +2 on your next melee engagement whether attacking or defending. It ends once the +2 is used.

Another way to wordsmith it is that only 1 maneuver may be used per combat phase. These maneuvers don't end until you use their bonus, and as such, you can't use any other maneuvers until the phase after which you used them.

As far as sweep goes, use the maneuver, and attack multiple targets all at once with +2 for each after the first. Hope you're in range, and otherwise, you're good for sweeping all of them at once.

It does not explicitly state that the manevers do not stack. Just that that single maneuver ends after your next melee engagement, nothing forbids it from stacking if you do it again, because the second maneuver is seperate from the first. You could rule the first and second maneuvers are the same and thus do not stack, but I think that would detract from Tai Chi because Tai Chi would then offer no real benefit in combat.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 28 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #11

Dragon

Toturi, as I said, it specifically states, only 1 aneuver may be used per combat phase. So, you use focus strength, you're done for this combat phase. Its still going until you use that +1, so until you are attacked/attack you can't use any other manuver. After you use the +1, you must wait until the next combat phase to use another maneuver.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 28 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Yes, but if you do not use that +1 until you attack or are attacked. So if you Focus Strength and sit tight and was never attacked, you never used that Focus Strength and it would be still around the next combat phase. The next combat phase you do it again. Unless you rule that the bonus to Strength ends when a new maneuver begins, the previous Focus Strength is still in force and there is a new Focus Strength this combat phase. Also the PC can Focus Strength in his combat phase, delay his second Simple Action if he is using Tai Chi and Focus Strength again in his opponent's Combat Phase.

By the way, a Focus Strength/Will is a Complex Action normally. So unless you are attacked, you will never use that bonus because you have no Actions left in the combat phase.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Feb 28 2005, 02:45 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Whoah, whoah, whoah, what is going on here? Chambara is not a martial art. It's a genre of epic samurai movies.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 28 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Gah! When book ninjas attack!

This is why we need to write an annotated SR for toturi to enjoy so he can't wriggle around...

So toturi you view Tai Chi and the Force maneuvers as excuses to pull Street Fighter "hadukens" in every battle? Kinda makes me wonder if Martial Artists should be the ones to die after the mages do...they're powering up.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 28 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Whoah, whoah, whoah, what is going on here? Chambara is not a martial art. It's a genre of epic samurai movies.

hey, I've trained in a chambara dojo, and I ain't kidding.

'twas cool, and no movies or movie styles were ever mentioned - it focused primarily on a) types of strikes, b) evading and counter attacking, and then we had duels with foam covered boken so we didn't kill each other. Getting hit HURT.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 28 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #16

Dragon

toturi, it says "This maneuver ends when the +1 power is used." Until the maneuver ends, its in use. Thus, until you use it, you have no option to use any other maneuvers, due to the 1 manuever a combat phase.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 28 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Ah, I did a web search and I see what you mean. Here's a link to what I learned -

http://www.warrior-priest.com/generic26.html

Tis kinda confusing...I'm wondering what the heck I learned then, whether it was actually an offshoot of kendo.

[edit] the description of the Chambara Academy is exactly what I attended.
[2nd edit] Here's another link which helps my cause.
http://www.iama-karate.com/class_special.html

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Feb 28 2005, 03:24 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Training in chambara would essentially be equivalent to training in stage fighting. I haven't seen your dojo, but from the description, it sounds distinctly McDojo-esque. There certainly is no school of real combat called chambara, and my guess would be you learned an amalgam of popular stuff (ie not far removed from what most Americans/Westerners call karate).

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 28 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Tarantula)
toturi, it says "This maneuver ends when the +1 power is used." Until the maneuver ends, its in use. Thus, until you use it, you have no option to use any other maneuvers, due to the 1 manuever a combat phase.

Good point, my mistake.

Hmmm, must find a way to use Tai Chi's advantage. Tai Chi is pretty useless now.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 28 2005, 03:54 AM
Post #20

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

well, realistically speaking, Tai chi training isnt really a combative style, it's ment to relax and things like that. So thats kind of understandable.

Sped up however it can work, but i dont know how those rules are currently written to do anything with them.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 28 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Training in chambara would essentially be equivalent to training in stage fighting. I haven't seen your dojo, but from the description, it sounds distinctly McDojo-esque. There certainly is no school of real combat called chambara, and my guess would be you learned an amalgam of popular stuff (ie not far removed from what most Americans/Westerners call karate).

You obviously didn't check the links I provided. I know my head was ringing after a couple of the blows, and I don't think "stage fighting" has that. So stop belittling it and move on.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 28 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Feb 28 2005, 10:46 AM)
toturi, it says "This maneuver ends when the +1 power is used."  Until the maneuver ends, its in use.  Thus, until you use it, you have no option to use any other maneuvers, due to the 1 manuever a combat phase.

Good point, my mistake.

Hmmm, must find a way to use Tai Chi's advantage. Tai Chi is pretty useless now.

Well it means you can fire off a burst and then power up just in case you're attacked (both powers can be for either offensive and defensive) in melee or by a spirit.

That's not bad at all, frankly.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Feb 28 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #23

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Feb 27 2005, 10:24 PM)
Training in chambara would essentially be equivalent to training in stage fighting.  I haven't seen your dojo, but from the description, it sounds distinctly McDojo-esque.  There certainly is no school of real combat called chambara, and my guess would be you learned an amalgam of popular stuff (ie not far removed from what most Americans/Westerners call karate).

You obviously didn't check the links I provided. I know my head was ringing after a couple of the blows, and I don't think "stage fighting" has that. So stop belittling it and move on.

I did check the links provided. Here's one of my own: Chambara.com.

I have no idea what you actually studied, but "soft weapons" is American boffer combat, and doesn't exist in any traditional schools. It sounds like a marketing trick, with a cool sounding name attached.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 28 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 28 2005, 02:01 PM)
I have no idea what you actually studied, but "soft weapons" is American boffer combat, and doesn't exist in any traditional schools.  It sounds like a marketing trick, with a cool sounding name attached.

Soft weapons? Like NERF guns and bats? So it would only work against things with a NERF allergy/vulnerability? :D

+Quote Post
Dog
post Mar 6 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Okay, I try to stay out of martial arts talks here, too many egos and too many know-it-alls who've never really traded punches. But I gotta say it.
Stage fighting CAN be dangerous.
Had my nose busted a few seconds into the hero/villain duel in the last act by an umbrella wielding guy a foot shorter than me. Embarassing as hell, but I finished the fight. The audience didn't realize the blood was real until curtain call.

And since I've already opened my mouth: I don't like the martial arts rules in Shadowrun, 'cause they don't jive with what I know and they restrict the storyfication of fight scenes.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.