IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Munchkin channeling?, I really hope I missed something!
Bandwidthoracle
post Mar 1 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,672

Ok, we where joking after a session and we came up with this.
Mage learns channeling, and mage has a trama dampner installed.
Mage summons at the maximum force he can, uses the karma rule to get one successes. He botches the resistence test, but it dosen't matter because the trama dampener keeps him awake, (one box of deadly will transfer to stun). He has his accomplise heal him, waits 15 Min, and channels the spirit, suddenly he's a demi-god.

Is there something to prevent my little horror story from happining?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Mar 1 2005, 05:19 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

Yea.
After 12 hours of your little Demi-God running around Ghoastwalker will step on him.
Other than that.......Not much ;)

+Quote Post
SirKalamon
post Mar 1 2005, 05:30 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 7,079

I believe the karma rules indicate that one must achieve atleast one success on the test before one can use the burn a point of karma for an extra success, but then again it is burning a point for it,or simply reroll failures but that doesnt garrountee anything anyways.The best bet is probably to be a mage to store the services away for later use because when one is dealing with TN's that high one will not get that many successes no matter how much karma one spends.

+Quote Post
Bandwidthoracle
post Mar 1 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (sidartha)
Yea.
After 12 hours of your little Demi-God running around Ghoastwalker will step on him.
Other than that.......Not much ;)

Dosen't take 12 hours to mess up a careful plot. Any statistical ramifications?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 1 2005, 05:34 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Perhaps p162 SR3 can help you.

Physical damage caused by Drain cannot be healed using Magic, only by rest and medical attention.

Since both Stun and Physical damage due to Drain cannot be healed by Magic, what is the problem?

+Quote Post
Bandwidthoracle
post Mar 1 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi)
Since both Stun and Physical damage due to Drain cannot be healed by Magic, what is the problem?

Ok, cool I was hoping there was a reason this wouldn't work, we've never had anyone try to heal drain with magic, so I didn't know there was a rule against it

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 1 2005, 05:45 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

There's also a time limit on how long the mage can channel the Spirit.

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 1 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

Living up to that book ninja title I see. *grin*

Good catch though!

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 1 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

In regards to your sig, I actually prefer the previous line, where Fighter exclaims, "With gravity slain, now we can fly!"

Anyway, if the intervening fifteen minutes are filled with people shooting at them, it might be a problem holding out till that point. Also, you can't magically heal drain, so while he's going to be full of spirity goodness, he's also going to be one box away from a deadly wound. It's not going to be easy to hurt him, but all it's really going to take is one moderate.

*edit* Crikes you people are fast. I was referring to Sidartha's sig in my post.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 1 2005, 07:04 AM
Post #10

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

And yes, you can't buy successes by burning Karma Pool (remember this is *burning*, not just spending; it doesn't come back) unless you've already scored one success on that test. P. 246 SR3

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 1 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #11

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Also, an above poster pointed out that you must earn one sucess naturally before you can burn a point of karma pool to buy a success.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 1 2005, 07:34 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Remember in order to get the spirits immunity to normal weapons you need to channel a great form spirit.

It steps out like this.

Summon whoopee big spirit. (Hard to do and risks deadly drain)
Invoke whoopee big spirit to great form (harder to do and risks deadly drain)
Teem medic patches you back together using mundane medicine (very difficult to get it all)
Choanal spirit (I think this required a conjuring test, target force so not easy to do)
Be uberest bastard in all creation for a few minutes.
Resist deadly drain as spirit leaves you.

Could work for a hermetic that can conjure the elementals weeks in advance, an fact if I was a hermetic with channelling and the ability to invoke it I would keep a force 6-8 great form air elemental with 1 service remaining on call at all times to channel s a “get out of dreck fast card”

Assuming you managed to pull this off why would ghost walker or any other entity have a problem with it? They may have a problem with what you do with it but I don’t see why they would have a problem with your method.

Edward

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 1 2005, 08:44 AM
Post #13

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

Limit of Force = 2 * magic rating
Magic 6 or 7 (trauma damper, initiate)
Force 12 or 14 Spirit
Charisma is probably 6 or 8, so drain is Serious or Deadly Physical (no magical healing, be mean and check for magic loss)
Invoking test for great form (to get immunity to normal weapons) TN 24 or 28, need 1 success or spirit goes uncontrolled
Second drain test TN = 2* Force so 24 or 26 S or D physical drain.
Channeling test TN = 2*Force, each success gives 10 minutes
At end of channeling, (Force)D physical drain

All are physical drain because force exceeds magic rating.

So first limiting factor is trying to keep the drain stun.
Second limiting factor is trying to hit that Force*2 TN.
Third for hermetic is cost of conjuring materials, third for shaman need it to be great form to cross domains, or possibility of having drain modifiers if conjured on the spot (+all other TN mods that may apply under what could be less than ideal situation.)

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 1 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

So instead of wicked super deadly uber-munch, this seems to be a case where you hear the rattle of dice, followed by the GM stating. "And then... mage EXPLODE!"

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Mar 1 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,119

As it should be. Great power comes with a great price. Of course, channelling a force 6 spirit still makes you pretty buff though.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 1 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #16

Free Spirit

My last shaman had centering, invoking, and channeling. I never wound up channeling a single spirit. I doubt I would have tried above force 5, and it was an elf with Charisma 9, Magic 8 (got a point of cyber/bio w/o geas), aptitude conjuring (don't know why I was allowed this, maybe oversight or intimidated?), +2D6 for city spirits. Before the trauma damper, I usually only conjured Force 4 because of drain. I also had a string of bad rolls once where 3 straight times I tried to invoke a Force 5 great form and had it go uncontrolled, even with a karma re-roll. 42 straight dice without hitting 10 or above. I went back to Force 4s.

I played in a game with a guy that had an ally spirit. He got extra dice from it for the channeling success test and the drain test since they occurred at seperate intervals. I saw how fantastic Ally aid dice are for conjuring.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Mar 1 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Well the mage/shaman would have to be at least initiate grade 2 to attempt this and, if he's in any way sane, would be WAY higher initiate grade than that.

If you're a very very high level initiate, and particularly if you're a mage, it is possible to channel something like a force 12 greatform, and higher if you don't mind burning a lot of karma a few times to hooper-nelson those target numbers down.

But even so, Immunity to Normal Weapons 12 doesn't guarantee you'll survive everything ever. Sure your body will be in the high teens, but there's plenty that can still hurt you.

Still, it's something everyone of great power should be trying now and then. ;)

Ideally you want to have an aptitude in conjuring, a ridiculously high charisma (by using a quickened spell for example, with lots of rerolls/burnt karma), a ridiculously high initiate grade and... a ridiculously high force spirit!

Hey presto, a ridiculous amount of fun and destruction.

As an aside, if you're talking about REAL "munchkin" channelling, has anyone had a character channel a free spirit before? If you've bound it already, I don't see why you couldn't channel it too. Think of all the nice powers you, personally, could get access to then.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 1 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

Create Wealth would be a nice start, but if you're a munchkin mage, you've probably already made a fortune selling gold radicals. :rotfl:

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 1 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #19

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Target: Awakened Lands)
Once the time of channeling is up, or the magician voluntarily chooses to end it, the spirit departs back to the metaplanes, its service to the initiate concluded

Congratulations, you just freed your spirit!

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Mar 2 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Mage summons at the maximum force he can, uses the karma rule to get one successes. He botches the resistence test, but it dosen't matter because the trama dampener keeps him awake, (one box of deadly will transfer to stun). He has his accomplise heal him, waits 15 Min, and channels the spirit, suddenly he's a demi-god.

Well, yes, and no. Houserule: Demigods and up do not allow themselves to channel through others. However this MunchkinMage still has the ability of becoming an Avatar.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Mar 2 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Godwalker of the Munchkin?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 2 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #22

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

As an aside, if you're talking about REAL "munchkin" channelling, has anyone had a character channel a free spirit before? If you've bound it already, I don't see why you couldn't channel it too. Think of all the nice powers you, personally, could get access to then.
There is a reason you can't do it. For you to do it it explicitly states the spirit must have services. Therefore free spirits, watchers, and allies cannot be channeled because they have no services.

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Mar 3 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #23

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

I think technicaly, when you bind a free spirit, you get "an unlimited number of services" so maybe it would... but probably not in my campaign.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 3 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #24

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I don't recall the word "service" being used in the Binding a Free Spirit section. Can someone offer a quote?

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Mar 3 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

Or you could just fallow a LOA, get invoking and have a much easier time getting and holding onto the spirits that posses you.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.