Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magnification 3 + other mods, Shots too easy
Backgammon
post Mar 1 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #1

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Ok, here's my problem. I have a player who has ALL the (useful) eye mods in his cybereyes, up to the 1.2 max. He uses the gyrojet pistol. Whenever he takes a shot, no mater what range up to the max of the gun, his TN is almost always 2 unless I throw in some cover mods. He picks out guys and kills them in 1 hit before they can even see him.

Now I'm all for players being able to purchase cyber to make themselves a cut above the opposition, but my real problem is with image magnification.

I have trouble seeing how being able to zoom in with your eyes on your target makes your shot more accurate. The scope on a rifle is one thing: it's fixed to the stock, so whatever your scoping on, your gun is pointing at. But your head is not connected to your gun. So how does zooming your view mean you'll be aiming better? So with the very cheap and affordable eye magnification, you guarantee all shots you will ever take will be base TN 4. Add smartlinking and basic visual amplifiers and you're looking at usual shots of TN 2-6 tops.

Anyway, any "canon" tricks on limiting TN 2 always shots before I break out the bag of House Rule whupass?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 1 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Only one "visual" mod can be applied when shooting. So you use either Smartlink, or Laser Sight, or Optical Mag, but you can't combine them in any way.

Edit: I'm not sure about the Laser Sight + Visual Magnification. The entry in the BBB p280 says that Visual Magnification can't be used with a Smartlink, but doesn't mention Laser Sights.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 1 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,860

If a target stands out in the open, then I really don't have a problem with a PC getting a low TN on such clean shots. They have the skills and the gear - let'em have TN 2.

My suggestion would be to consider using more cover, particularly if the targets are aware they're being shot at. In buildings, there should be more cover than you can shake a stick at - corners, desks, filing cabinets, etc. In cities, it's the same thing. Cars, corners, bomb-resistant trashcans, etc. You don't regularly have combats on open football fields, do you?

+Quote Post
SirKalamon
post Mar 1 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,079

Where does it say one cannot reduce the base target number for distance using an electrical or optical magnification on a cyber eye and the -2 bonus from smartlink at any time?What about the mods of thermographic and lowlight which can be used at the same time for the layering rules of visibility modifiers?

+Quote Post
cth
post Mar 1 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 2,069

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Only one "visual" mod can be applied when shooting.  So you use either Smartlink, or Laser Sight, or Optical Mag, but you can't combine them in any way.

Actually, only the smartlink has this limitation. IIRC, there is nothing in the rules which prohibites a mag-3/lasersight combo as long as the target is within range of the lasersight.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 1 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (SirKalamon)
Where does it say one cannot reduce the base target number for distance using an electrical or optical magnification on a cyber eye and the -2 bonus from smartlink at any time?What about the mods of thermographic and lowlight which can be used at the same time for the layering rules of visibility modifiers?

Page 280 from SR3. It specifically states that Imaging Scopes and Smartlinks can't be used together. Also, under cybereyes, it also states that Visual Optical Magnification and Electronic Magnification use Imaging Scope rules. So no Smartlink + Magnification. The jury is out on Laser Sight + Magnification... I'm fairly certain they don't stack, but I need to find a reference.

The "visual mod" rule is only for the case where you have a Laser Sight, Smartlink, and Optical Mag on the same gun.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 1 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #7

Mr. Johnson

So, in further reading and culling through most of my sources, I find nothing that prevents using a laser sight and Visual Magnification together. Score another one for the much maligned laser sight, I guess. The typical laser sight only goes out to 50 m, with reduced ranges for rain, smoke, fog, etc. There are expensive high-powered lasers that go out to 500 m available as well.

Also, from the Shadowrun FAQ:
The rules state that image magnifying scopes are not compatible with smartlinks, but what about cybernetic vision magnification or the equivalent adept improved sense?
While a character may be simultaneously equipped with a smartlink system and an imaging scope/vision mag cyberware/vision mag adept power, the modifiers from both may not be used at the same time. So a samurai could use vision magnification to reduce the target number when shooting a target at long range, and then switch to using a smartlink to reduce the target number against a target at short range--but he couldn't use both the smartlink and vision mag modifiers on the same target.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Mar 1 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Oh finally a ruling on that. Long ranges are usefull again!

+Quote Post
Brazila
post Mar 1 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,278

Also not that a lot of people care, but the FAQ says
The rules state that image magnifying scopes are not compatible with smartlinks, but what about cybernetic vision magnification or the equivalent adept improved sense?
While a character may be simultaneously equipped with a smartlink system and an imaging scope/vision mag cyberware/vision mag adept power, the modifiers from both may not be used at the same time. So a samurai could use vision magnification to reduce the target number when shooting a target at long range, and then switch to using a smartlink to reduce the target number against a target at short range--but he couldn't use both the smartlink and vision mag modifiers on the same target.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 1 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #10

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Brazila)
Also not that a lot of people care, but the FAQ says

Look two posts above you. :P

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 1 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

Great! Now I can stop some of the rampit sniping. Makes it harder on my NPCs, but....:-)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 1 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #12

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

ram...pit... what the hell is that??

Oh, "rampant". Woah, rampit had all sorts of weird images in my mind.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 1 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #13

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Backgammon)
ram...pit... what the hell is that??

Oh, "rampant". Woah, rampit had all sorts of weird images in my mind.

*snigger*

Normally I have something witty to add to that, but all I can think of is "rofl."

Braindead day! Yes!

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 1 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Also, in a gunfight, EVERYONE should be diving for hard cover, it keeps you alive!

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Mar 1 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

There is something in CC about Rangefinder+SL2, IIRC it reduces the penalties for the ranges beyond Medium or something. It's a small snippet somwhere.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 1 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #16

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Part of the problem is the Gyrojet pistol, too. Those things are sick.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 1 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #17

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Critias)
Part of the problem is the Gyrojet pistol, too. Those things are sick.

Can't get them in APDS, and they require their own skill. The damage code is way out there, but it IS firing miniature rockets...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 1 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

a compiled list of NPC tactics that keep them from getting venilated so damn fast:

1) cover. even two points is nice.
2) smoke grenades.
3) flashlight-equipped weapons (glare)
3) hide-and-seek (shoot, duck out of sight, move to a new location, force a perception check and a surprise check)

feel free to add.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Mar 1 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

Not to mention, since the Gyrojet rounds are rockets, they leave a nice little contrail leading right back to the gun. But as a pistol on land, they have shotgun ranges.

And there are two types of ammo for the Gyrojet - regular Gyrojet Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), and Plus Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), but the PLUS Rockets use the rules for APDS, *AND* they're anti-vehicular (AV).

And availability is only 14, compared to 16 for "regular" AV rounds.

But the downsides are noise (Rocket launching, and explosion when it hits), Contrails that lead right back to the gun, a pretty distinctive sound, and they require their own special skill - not Pistols.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 1 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #20

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Flash-paks, weather (it is gerenally raining in seattle), fog, smoke, glare, movement, etc. It all adds up rapidly.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 1 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

Whatever PCs can use, so can NPCs. Just raise the threat level.

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 1 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
There are expensive high-powered lasers that go out to 500 m available as well.

I think its range is 1500 m at night.

The rangefinder on the smartlink 2 reduces TNs by -1 for long range and -2 for extreme.

SL-2 TNs would look like
S M L E
2 3 3 5

Vision Mag 3 + high powered laser sight
S M L E
3 3 3 3

Which is basically only better at extreme range, only when it's within range of the laser and nothing's blocking said laser. (Okay, it's better even then, but by a smaller margin)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 1 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the hi-power laser sight has a range of 500m at night, 150 during the day. the normal laser sight has a range of 50m. moreover, the bonus from a laser sight is negated completely by an form of smoke, mist, or rain.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 1 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
And there are two types of ammo for the Gyrojet - regular Gyrojet Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), and Plus Rockets: 12M(12S underwater), but the PLUS Rockets use the rules for APDS, *AND* they're anti-vehicular (AV).

EEeep! That's right! And you can use a laser designator for Seeker rockets. Oh dear Lord...

+Quote Post
Puck Wildhorse, ...
post Mar 1 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 6,624

Not to mention that the target of the laser sight or his buddies can make a perception test to see the laser dot. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the hero of a TV show notice the laser dot and jump out of the way just before the sniper fires. It's practically a TV action scene cliche.

I have no problem with a sniping character on a clear day against an unmoving target having a target numbers of 2 for the first shot. After that, he should either have to deal with targets taking full cover (8 points) or running and dodging.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.