Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ShadowRun bought by Microsoft!?!?, a friend just read an article
Shadow Beast
post Mar 1 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,128

A friend of mine read an article from some gamerzine that said MS bought Shadowrun or something. I can reach him so I thought I would reach out to my running brethren. Anyone know anything? (P.S. Im not new to DS, I just lost all my account info so I made a new one)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 1 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

MS has owned the game producing rights to shadowrun for a long while now.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 1 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #3

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

No, MS owns the right to an SR video game. They have since FASA sold the rights for the tabletop game to WizKids (who then licensed it to FanPro).

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 1 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

All of FASA's licenses for computer games are owned by Microsoft, which is why you can play Mech Assault on your X-Box. Crimson Skies was also made into a rather entertaining game. Shadowrun has not been made into a computer game, although a couple of console adaptations were made for the Genesis and SNES.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 1 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

Well, Mircosoft owns the right to make a computer game based on SR. It's probably what your friend read.

EDIT : Man, you have to be fast on the draw around here.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 1 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Crimson Skies was also made into a rather entertaining game.

The really funny thing is, Crimson Skies was originally supposed to be a computer game, but it got delayed midway through the development cycle and so FASA Interactive licensed the right to use the setting for a tabletop game back to it's parent corporation FASA Corp. This happened right before FASA had their little sweetheart deal with Microsoft that let MS buy out FASA Interactive in exchange for the lump sum of money that kept FASA Corp. going those last few months.

Because it had happened so close to the deal, FASA Corp. had just put out the rulebook, and hadn't even gotten the pewter minis out the door yet. When they did start manufacturing them, Microsoft reminded them that Crimson Skies was now Uncle Bill's intellectual property and required them to slap a "Microsoft Games Studio" logo on every blister pack.

Shadowrun has not been made into a computer game, although a couple of console adaptations were made for the Genesis and SNES.

And who can forget the version that came out for SegaCD, but only in Japan?

At the time it was bought out, FASA Interactive was developing a PC title called Shadowrun: Assassin, that was slated to be a third-person shooter (this was right around the time Tomb Raider was the hot industry property, and some feel there would have been some influence because of it). They got at least as far as having a 3D Render of what presumably would have been the main character, a sexy elf chick[tm] armed with a katana and what looks to be a HV firearm of some sort. The GenCon that FASA released 3rd Edition, they gave away flyers that had this Assassin Elf Chick done up like the other 3rd Edition sample characters, with portrait and statblock on glossy black paper.

However, when Microsoft bought FASA Interactive, they decided that SR: Assassin was conceptually too close to another title that they had planned for release at the same time, and decided to shelve it. It's not been heard from since.

+Quote Post
Shadow Beast
post Mar 1 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 7,128

So FanPro can still/ is still doing things with Shadowrun (the books and dice) while MS can make Shadowrun (the video/computer game)?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 1 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Shadow Beast)
So FanPro can still/ is still doing things with Shadowrun (the books and dice) while MS can make Shadowrun (the video/computer game)?

WizKids LLC owns the IP rights to anything Shadowrun related, except for the right to computer/console games set in the Shadowrun universe, as far as I know.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 1 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Shadow Beast)

Yes. FanPro produces gaming material for Shadowrun and Classic BattleTech under license from WizKids Inc.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 1 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #10

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

if SR was made into a computer game surley it would have to be a network game or it would just be another shoot em up??

bring it out on the PS and give it a light gun too ............ on the net ooooh drool!!

torz x :oops:

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Mar 1 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

this thread has come up before...what was probably noticed is that M$ recently set up the legal paperwork to use the SR logo - this is being taken as a sign that they are now ready to resume production on a computer game...

for some history, google up MS, Bungie, and Shadowrun...

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Mar 1 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

A close-to-it style SR computer game I've found is The Matrix Online MMORPG. I think that if a Shadowrun online RPG were to be developed, it would have to be VERY similar to this.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 1 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (BookWyrm)
A close-to-it style SR computer game I've found is The Matrix Online MMORPG. I think that if a Shadowrun online RPG were to be developed, it would have to be VERY similar to this.

No it wouldn't.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 1 2005, 09:54 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (torzzzzz)
bring it out on the PS and give it a light gun too

I highly doubt you'd see a Shadowrun game for Playstation anytime in the near future. X-Box and PC only.

(Of course, I never thought I'd see the day you'd be able to play a Sonic the Hedgehog game on Nintendo either, but that's a different story all together.)

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Mar 1 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

rumor i've heard is that the plan is for SR to be one of the premiere releases for the XBox 2....

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 1 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #16

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Oh goodie, now I may actually have to buy that thing ... :P

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 2 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (BookWyrm)

I hope not, because I would really want any sort of Shadowrun game to _NOT_ suck as much as possible.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 2 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i dunno. the latests patches for the beta apparently improve the gameplay quite a bit. and it uses a classless-but-nichey character building system, like SR.

+Quote Post
Raife
post Mar 2 2005, 01:55 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,400

Well I have a buddy who works at Gamestop... who heard from an Micro-rep that Shadowrun has something coming in the future... probably for X-box 2 and that we might find out stuff at E3 depending on how many details are released about the Xbox2.

Of course... I may have failed my Friend of a Friend Ettiquette(Videogames) test here so don't trust my contact information until we see at E3. I am hoping I'm write.

I am also hoping for a persistant world game.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 2 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i'm not, myself. then, i already play in a persistent-world SR game; it's understandable that you poor saps feel like you're missing out!

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 2 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #21

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Raife)
I am also hoping for a persistant world game.

I'm hoping for a building kit and scripting system as robust as Neverwinter Nights... you can make games as small as an online gaming group of 3 to 4 players plus GM or make MUD-like environments that can host 60 to 70 players. But if it's going to be for XBox 2, then it'll probably be a console 3rd person shooter... those seem to be popular nowadays.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 2 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #22

Chrome to the Core

Shadowrun-in-name-only. Just what we need to spread the word.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Mar 2 2005, 03:11 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

My vote is still something similar in feel and taking hints from the engines of Dues Ex and Splinter Cell (non-multiplayer).

I could see it being *seriously* kickass as a MMORPG

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 2 2005, 03:23 AM
Post #24

Chrome to the Core

As long as they do the character generation right (mighty hard) and make it so there are actual people setting up runs.

It would have to be very, very robust in nature. A standard MMO just wouldn't do.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Mar 2 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

I doubt that ms will ever get an SR game right =(

poor MS, the are a sad, sad company....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.