Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruthenium, And you.
Rolemodel
post Mar 2 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,094

Ruthenium. Maxed as +12 for detection by natural eyes.
Re: Thermographic, Ultrasound - Throw on some Thermal Dampening, and make it an all around pretty-damn-hard-to-see TN. Against aerial radar as well, even.

Invisibility. Blind fire at +8.
And untouched Signature.

I'm sure it's been touched on in the past. Any fresh perspective on technology rendering an unmoving target -more- invisible than just being invisible.

Mr. RM.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 2 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

There are no fresh perspectives. It's been done to death.

+Quote Post
Rolemodel
post Mar 2 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Fair enough, and I don't doubt it - None the less, do any of you out there cap Ruth at +8 max bonus, and leave the rest of the scanners to apply as 'backup' processing when a character exceeds the allotted movement rates?

-RM

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 2 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Rolemodel)
Fair enough, and I don't doubt it - None the less, do any of you out there cap Ruth at +8 max bonus, and leave the rest of the scanners to apply as 'backup' processing when a character exceeds the allotted movement rates?

-RM

That was the general concense's if i remember correctly, though the second part might of been iffy

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 2 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Against airiel radar? Since when? Thermal dampening wouldn't apply against radar, as it doesn't use thermals to detect you, and radar doesn't use light either, which leaves your base sig (modified by cyber) for it to detect you.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Mar 2 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Rolemodel)

-RM

That's exactly how I handle it in my games. Usually, the one or two players who want ruthenium suits stick to 8 scanners unless they've got money to blow and want to cover emergencies.

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 2 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

There's a specific difference in my mind between ruthenium and blind fire / invis.

Ruthenium affects target numbers to actually (visually) notice the target is there. Once he's "blown his cover", or someone figures out where he is, I wouldn't let it apply any more. It's not invisibility. It's just very, very, good camoflage. A "stealth supplement" And stealth is only good till you give yourself away or someone spots you.

If someone thought someone with ruthenium who hadn't given themselves away visually (say, they made a hearing perception check), or had a GOOD reason to make an educated guess of the approximate unrevealed cloaked fellow, then I would apply the +8 blindfire mod then--the perception mod wouldn't apply to an actual attack.

+Quote Post
Rolemodel
post Mar 2 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Agreed. Really, the only way I can justify Ruthenium giving that +12 is by saying that somehow it not only makes an object appear to be well hidden, but does such an excellent job of doing so that it actively forces the viewer to overlook it.

Re: +8 max TN, and blindfire - Agreed. Personally, I think the +8 cap works fine, and with four more scanners working on the background tasks it allows Runners who want to go above and beyond the basic TN rating to be able to compensate for movement that the bae +8 wouldn't allow.

On a sidenote: I'm watching Black Hawk Down. Shit. That movie just doesn't let up.

-RM

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 2 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

Even when the person is perceived, I'd still allow it to act as standard camouflage, which provides a +2 to ranged target numbers (because it breaks up the profile of the target or something like that... it's in the Cannon Companion). As stated before, it's "really good" camo, and even standard camouflage provides a +4 modifier.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 3 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I don't buy the It's Just Camoflage argument, and the flavor descriptions absolutely never back up this interpretation. Personally, I've rewritten visual modifier tabels for blindfire without reference at +12, so it isn't an issue for me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.