Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral combat, If you are not a magic user
torzzzzz
post Mar 3 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #1

It's for winners

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,067

Have been on a few runs lately and playing a non magical character i have suffered somewhat with astral assault.

What can you do if you are being attacked in the astral by spirit etc?

The one thing our team lacks at the moment is a magic / shaman type,

Is there anything you can get to help detect astral activity without being awakened?
I have had a flick through SR3 and Awakenings, but I have lent my Mits to a mate.

torz x

:read:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 3 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

If you are a mundane, astral combat is not one of your concerns.

Nothing from the astral plane can affect you, and vice-versa. Any spirit that wishes to harm you must materialize. Any spell that can affect you must be cast from the physical plane.

Assuming you knew this, in order to detect the presence of astral entities (mostly spying on you one would imagine), you have very limited options. One is to carry a small dual natured pet, such as Nimue's Salamander, trained to burp or something when it spots an astral presence. Otherwise, you can hire a mage to sell you a watcher spirit that'll do the same thing.

Or perhaps carry an aerosol can that sprays FAB around. You see glowing, you know there's something astral.

There's also a new camera in SOTA64 that supposedly can take pictures of the Astral, but I don't have that book yet so I can't tell you much about it.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 3 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,043

If the astral spy goes right through you, you get a perception test to detect it.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 3 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Backgammon)
There's also a new camera in SOTA64 that supposedly can take pictures of the Astral, but I don't have that book yet so I can't tell you much about it.

It's based on daguerrotype films and Kirlian photography. In any case, you would need to develop the film in order to get anything, so it's not useful on a run unless you were Ghostwatching or something.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 3 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #5

It's for winners

Thank you, I like the idea of a spray! whats the availability?

torz :)

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 3 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (torzzzzz)
Thank you, I like the idea of a spray! whats the availability?

torz :)

5,000 nuyen, Availability 6/1 wk for 50 cubic meters of aerosol. I'd imagine you'd need a spray tank to use it (it's not really something you can use from a spraypaint can... maybe a squirt bottle).

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 3 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

As for dealing with a spirit without a mage (or adept with killing hands), that immunity to normal weapons can be a real downer. You could try using improved grenades (15S damage) which would work on spirits force 7 and lower (barely) and try to flood them with successes, but I'd view that as a chancy tactic at best.

Another tactic is using high reach weapons (whips, extendable batons) and battle it using willpower--the reach still applies. Now, the problem is you only get to roll willpower while it can roll reaction and combatpool. So, I'd recommend having several people delaying and engaging it at the same time for a friends in melee bonus. The problems with this tactic is you're doing a base (Cha)M Stun damage and you may need to tie up several PCs to deal with a lone spirit.

If you're rich, and can find someone to cooperate, an anchoring focus with detect spirit / spiritbolt could nail one pretty well. Of course, it might just nail some poor old lady's seeing eye watcher spirit and then you'd be out a decent chunk of nuyen.

The FAB spray seems pretty cool. If your GM allows it, it'd probably work--just remember bacteria are living organisms. Left to their own devices, their populations grow and grow, then level off, then it crashes. So take good care of the bugs or you won't have any left to play with :)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 3 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Endgame50)
Now, the problem is you only get to roll willpower while it can roll reaction and combatpool.

No, spirit does not get Combat Pool either.

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 3 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (Endgame50 @ Mar 3 2005, 03:46 PM)
Now, the problem is you only get to roll willpower while it can roll reaction and combatpool.

No, spirit does not get Combat Pool either.

Actually if you look carefully at the wording, the person makes a willpower test as a melee attack and the person can't use his combat pool. If he succeeds, then the spirit can't use combat pool to soak the damage. However, there is nothing preventing the spirit from using its combat pool during the initial melee test.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 3 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #10

It's for winners

QUOTE (Endgame50)
The FAB spray seems pretty cool. If your GM allows it, it'd probably work--just remember bacteria are living organisms. Left to their own devices, their populations grow and grow, then level off, then it crashes. So take good care of the bugs or you won't have any left to play with :)

Thank's for that I know all about bacteria and their exponential growth, and luckily so douse my character!

torz x :P

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Mar 3 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

And lasers work on any of them short of force,12 I think. That being th hand held lasers. Bigger lasers do more damage.

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 3 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

QUOTE (Endgame50 @ Mar 3 2005, 02:46 PM)

FAB spray? Would you happen to have a page reference handy for that?

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 3 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Don't ask me, it was backgammon's idea.

But the basic idea, afaik, is getting your own little FAB farm, putting some of the suspension (complete with FABs) in an aersol spraying device, and spraying them around an area--use normal FAB rules at that point.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 4 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

The damaging kind of fab takes days or weeks to take effect, not a good option.

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 4 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Hmmm... There was that nasty bacteria (in Threats 1, if memory serves) that attacked and devoured astrally active magical things. But again, it's probably too slow-acting.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 4 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

FAB III. 3rd ed rules are in MitS. it only makes one check per hour to eat a rating point, as i recall.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 4 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Cynic project)
And lasers work on any of them short of force,12 I think. That being th hand held lasers. Bigger lasers do more damage.

Lasers employ an Elemental effect, and work just as well as any other Elemental attack method.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 4 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 3 2005, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Mar 4 2005, 10:42 AM)

Lasers employ an Elemental effect, and work just as well as any other Elemental attack method.

So an alternative weapon with elemental effect on spirits (other than lasers) would be flamethrowers? Or is it too low powered that you might as well be spitting at it?

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 4 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Yeah, I was mentioning FAB as an astral detection measure--strain 3 is far to slow to do much good.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 4 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Flamethrowers, stun batons, water cannons, or any other weapon that delivers an Elemental effect will work against Spirits.

+Quote Post
Aes
post Mar 4 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
Flamethrowers, stun batons, water cannons, or any other weapon that delivers an Elemental effect will work against Spirits.

So next time my mundane PC meets a spirit, I'd better hope he's packing a defiance supershock, huh?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 4 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Better than nothing. You'd be better off still with the AZ-150, since it has a Reach of 1.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 4 2005, 01:10 AM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Aes)
QUOTE (Endgame50 @ Mar 3 2005, 02:46 PM)

FAB spray? Would you happen to have a page reference handy for that?

The costs of an FAB I Aerosol are listed in the back of MitS, in 50 and 500 cubic meter amounts. You could reasonably put the FAB into a spray tank and use it to detect Astral Beings, but only if you either saturated an area with it, or happened to spray in the right direction. Not entirely effective, but it's an option.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.