Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Rules Question] Human Shield, Ranged & Unarmed Combat
TheQuestionMan
post Mar 3 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,133

Hoi Chummers, I need a Canon or House Ruling from respected members. I did multipule searches, but could not find a Ruling.

A Runner grabs an NPC, and uses him to Block an incoming attack or as cover( Dwarf -1, Orc +1, Troll +2 bonus).

1. What Armor Bonus does the Runner recieve for the unarmored human shield? or What Cover bonus does he recieve?

2. What Armor Bonus does the Runner recieve for the armoured human shield? or What Cover bonus does he recieve?

Some suggestions I have seen have been;

1. Awarding a Armour Bonus equal to the NPC's Body Rating like a Shield Armour Rating.

2. Another was to treat the NPC's Body Rating as a Barrier Rating.

3. Yet another was to use the the NPC's Body Rating as a Vehicle's Body Rating.

4. Yet another was someone shooting through the NPC recieved the NPC's Armour Rating plus the Rating again as the Layered Armour Ruling.

Cheers

QM

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 3 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I would go with 1.

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Mar 3 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

I'd just give them cover as appropriate for the size, up to half cover. (maybe 3/4th for exceptional cases.) Of course, I'm unsure how to arbitrate things striking the cover instead of the person using the cover with this system.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 3 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

If the body shield was struggling, I'd only allow a partial cover +2 modifier to hit. If the body shield was unconscious or not struggling (successful Intimidation check), I'd allow up to +4 partial cover modifier. If the body shield is significantly bigger (Ork holding a Troll) or the body shield is actively trying to guard the target, the amount of usable cover would go up by +2. Dwaves can use trolls as full cover ("My gun is at your crotch, trog-boy"). Since this uses the cover rules, you apply half of the cover penalty to the person using the cover.

In terms of hitting the body shield, I'd compare the roll made (which would be a miss, I'm assuming) and see if the bullet would have hit if the target didn't have cover. If it does, then the body shield is hit.

Called Shots can be made specifically to avoid hitting the body shield. Called shots can also be made to shoot through a body shield and hit both targets, with the armor of the body shield reducing the power of the shot for both body shield and target behind him.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 3 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

If the shot was intentionally put through the hostage, I'd grant the hostage taker the meat shield's Armor x 2 plus body.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 3 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #6

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

This is where shadowrun ballistics gets messy. Most pistols won't go straight through a body, some even when fired at very close range. Depending on the range, some rifle cartridges won't either. If it was a one-time quick-fix, I would grant it as vehical armour equal to the NPC shield's body attribute.

This is to reflect the lessened likelyhood of straight-through penetration, as well as the reduced velocity after travelling through flesh, and the fact that after travelling through a body, the bullet may likely be fragmented or flattened if it does in fact even make it through.

But I'm far far far from an expert in this matter. edit: However, our group does shoot through cover very often it seems in comparison to other groups.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Mar 3 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

I'd say the ruling depends on just WHAT the hostage is getting hit with. Bullets, I'd allow cover. A flamethower? No way in hell. A grenade launcher? Maybe partial cover, unless it was white phosphorous. Maybe the form of attack should be factored into the ruling?

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Mar 4 2005, 01:37 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Maybe have a look at Rain's/Raygun's overpenetration rules?

Just go to "Overpenetration" on the scroll bar

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 4 2005, 01:54 AM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

The skinny on Raygun's overpenetration rules:
If a bullet wound does S damage and you make a roll of 50% (1-3 on a d6) or the power exceeds 2 x Body (unarmored) or Body + Ballistic (armored), then it overpenetrates.
Overpenetrating bullets have half power, damage level reduced by 1.

Sounds good to me.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 4 2005, 05:12 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Hiding behind bodies and using meet shields comes up often. I am surprised that you didn’t find a previous thread of cause none I have seen provided a conclusive answer.

Edward

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 4 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #11

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Edward)
Hiding behind bodies and using meet shields comes up often. I am surprised that you didn’t find a previous thread of cause none I have seen provided a conclusive answer.

Edward

We figure "why use meat, when spirits have immunity to normal weapons?" :D

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 4 2005, 07:26 AM
Post #12

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Raygun's OP rules look like a great way to go.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.