IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yngwie Malmsteen, Not bad to run by...
FrostyNSO
post Mar 4 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #1

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

I just discovered a pretty good album to run a session by:

Yngwie Malmsteen's "Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in E Flat Minor (Live with the New Japan Philharmonic)"

I was listening to this before everybody arrived and just decided to let it roll as we slid into the session. When it finally ended, my players were like "Hey, throw that music you had on back in." It works on so many levels, especially with SR's "rocker" roots, and the drama the symphony brings into tense moments. So just figured I'd throw it out there for anyone who cares to pick up the album (or already has it).

edit : Suggestion from player: Play in background when locked in epic Real Time Strategy battle on Dune 2000 for PC. :please:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Mar 4 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,937

DEVIL FREAKIN HORNS BABY!!!!!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 4 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #3

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

If prefer some smooth chill-out music or stoner rock. Tried to convince my players and the gm to listen to death metal while playing, but they're a bunch of sissies ;)

karma to burn is a very cool band to listen by, since they're strictly instrumental.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Mar 4 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Wow. That Yngwie Malmsteen is amazing. I makes my rocker heart happy. It will be a refreshing change from industrial techno at the gaming table.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 4 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Speaking of techno-type music, what is the song that is playing in the club scene at the beginning of the first Blade movie, and who is the artist that performs it?

+Quote Post
GlassJaw
post Mar 4 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,664

It will be a refreshing change from industrial techno at the gaming table.

For some reason, I always think of Rammstein when I think of SR music.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Mar 4 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I have no knowledge of Mr. Malmsteen, but I do know that I have gamed to gregorian chant and Muslim call to prayer type musics and had good experiences for setting the moods.

+Quote Post
Kenshi
post Mar 4 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,090

Fortune, the song is "Confusion [Pump Panel Reconstrucion Mix]" by New Order. It is over 10 minutes long! I would also suggest Gravity Kills and The Faint as far as obscure music for SR goes.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 4 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Thanks. :)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 4 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Meh, Malmsteen's okay for background music as suggested, but unless he's picked up dramatically in the last ten years all he really has are fast fingers. Impressive, but ultimately shallow.

Lol, that just reminded me of a conversation with a friend (excellent blues guitarist) on our three favourite stringpickers of the time.

Me: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai.
Her: Eric Clapton, BB King, (somebody I'd never heard of)
Me: What about Hendrix?
Her: Hendrix wasn't a guitarist. Hendrix was God.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Mar 4 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

I've got an eclectic bunch of tunes I've collected over the years. I always throw a bunch of different CD's in and hit shuffle when running my game. I run my game in Detroit, so I end up using a lot of R&B and Hip Hop. But I've thrown in Latin rock, Wagner, Carmena Burana "O Fortuna, thank you Excalibur!!!", Heavy Metal (of the Slayer variety, classic rock, club techno, etc. I try to match the music variety with the games theme for the evening if I can.
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
UpSyndrome
post Mar 4 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,506

I would really like to get the music from the Sega Genesis Shadowrun game to play at my games :)

-Joe

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Mar 4 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

Among other types, we use music from computer games, there's some good background and/or combat music in many games. (although getting flashbacks from games you've spent too much time on during sessions can be a nuisance)
Apart from that Metal seems to me like an all-time SR favourite.

For some reason, I always think of Rammstein when I think of SR music.

We used Rammstein for SR to, but more importantly we used it as combat music in our Starwars™ RPG, yes it was D20 and yes it was just me and some guys with glasses in my friends basement.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 4 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #14

Resident Legionnaire

QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen)
Among other types, we use music from computer games, there's some good background and/or combat music in many games.

Quake 1 had good background tunes...

I will get railed for this one, but I thought Hendrix was overrated. The studio stuff sounded great, but a lot of his live stuff that I heard was just sloppy. Maybe it was the drugs (his not mine), but I think one of the requisites for being a guitar legend is a good live show as well as studio tracks.

I'd put Stevie Ray Vaughn over Jimi any day.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 4 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #15

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

The couple of times we had music, we were listening to Love Psychedelico and several movie soundtracks. Most of the time, it's a bit too distracting to have playing all the time.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 4 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I will get railed for this one, but I thought Hendrix was overrated. The studio stuff sounded great, but a lot of his live stuff that I heard was just sloppy. Maybe it was the drugs (his not mine), but I think one of the requisites for being a guitar legend is a good live show as well as studio tracks.

No argument from me as far as Hendrix is concerned. An exception to your disclaimer about sloppy live players is Jimmy Page though, who was one of the sloppiest guitarists, but still brilliant.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 5 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #17

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

I'd put Stevie Ray Vaughn over Jimi any day.

Are you just listening to the recordings or watching the concert footage? Was he by any chance playing it behind his head or with his teeth?

I forget what song it is, I was listening to an anthology of Hendrix, but there was some notes I have never heard follow each other, but it worked. It was a what the hell was that moment and I remember backing up the cd to catch it again. IMO he was quite original. Stevie Ray Vaughn stuff just seems kind of blah and the same to me. A matter of taste, I guess.

It may date me, but my first love saw Hendrix at a music festival in 1968.

Speaking of Page, I've run a lot of games with Hendrix, Zep, and others in the background.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 5 2005, 04:04 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Fortune,

If you liked that track off of the Blade soundtrack (or movie, depending on how you heard it), you might also like the Crystal Method (Legion of Boom). If ever there was an album that should've been made for SR, it is this. Also good in the same vein:

Massive Attack (Mezzanine and Protection)
Crystal Method (Vegas... dated, but still good)
Perfume Tree (Feeler)
The Orb (Orblivion... very cool metroplex background noises)
Rabbit in the Moon Remixes Vol. 1 (1998, later stuff lame)
Future Sounds of London (Accelerator)
Praga Khan (Twenty First Century Skin)
and most Orbital, Chemical Bros. and Dust Bros. stuff

Also noteworthy, although not extremely techno-y are Mike Patton's (God bless you) Tomahawk and Fantomas ventures. Truly worth a listen and coveted spot in any CD tray.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 5 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I've heard any of those (although I have heard of most of the artists). I'll have to check them out. I'm not what you'd call a lover of techno (probably from lack of exposure), but I thought the Blade track was quite decent. Of course, it could be because of the on-screen stuff in conjunction, but I won't know until I hear the music on its own.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Mar 5 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #20

Resident Legionnaire

Massive Attack is pretty awesome. Good in the gym too.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Mar 5 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

Whilst I know what I like musically I've never been able to play at all.

One of my local pubs has (what's basically) an open-mike night for guitarists - the resident host plays a bit and will help out newbies, plus there's a drummer and usually a bassist so anyone can have a bit of a go.

A few of us were sat around discussing stuff during a quiet spell and Hendrix was mentioned - a couple of us said that we thought he was overrated and one if the older guys pointed out that /at the time/ Hendrix was doing stuff with a guitar that no-one else had ever done - that's what made him great. It's difficult to keep perspective on these things, I guess.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 5 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 4 2005, 11:46 PM)
I'm not what you'd call a lover of techno (probably from lack of exposure), but I thought the Blade track was quite decent. Of course, it could be because of the on-screen stuff in conjunction, but I won't know until I hear the music on its own.

Understood. The recommendations that I gave are all in the same sound vein as the Blade track. Also, another worth trying to download (just the song, not worth buying the CD) is Rob D "Clubbed to Death"... that has a pretty badass sound to it.

edit: Fortune, let me know if you pick up or download any of those CDs/songs. I'd be interested to hear your take on them.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 5 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #23

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

Massive Attack (Mezzanine and Protection)
Crystal Method (Vegas... dated, but still good)
Perfume Tree (Feeler)
The Orb (Orblivion... very cool metroplex background noises)
Future Sounds of London (Accelerator)
Praga Khan (Twenty First Century Skin)
and most Orbital, Chemical Bros. and Dust Bros. stuff

Great tracks, all of them I have most them on a CD I did, have it in my car mostly but when they can get hold of it we use it to run to!!

what are they like I haven't herd of them?

torz x :)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 5 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Fortune, let me know if you pick up or download any of those CDs/songs. I'd be interested to hear your take on them.

You got it, and thanks again. :)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 5 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

It's worth noting that the soundtrack for Deus Ex: Invisible War is available for free download from the game's website. Although the game suffered badly, imho, from sequel syndrome (and from "we need to make it simple enough for the console platforms" syndrome - but I digress), the soundtrack is remarkably good for a backing track to a Shadowrun game,

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.